SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eastcoastmom_gw

Granite seam in island - advice?

eastcoastmom
14 years ago

Our KD designed an 11 foot island. Never any mention that seams might be an issue to consider.

When I went to look at granite, I was told that having an island that large would make it virtually impossible to find a piece of granite large enough to install without doing a seam. However, all advised against even a good seam in an island like mine. The island is a one level rectangle with arched eating counter, center prep sink - seam would go right down the middle. Island and seam location would directly face the open family room and be visible from the main foyer entrance as well. There will be stools right on top of the area where the seam would go.

We have heard this advice nearly across the board, including places that have reputations in my area for doing very good (less than 1/16 inch) seams , vacuum suction, etc. Most say they would have kept the island smaller, done two islands or designed in such a way that seams would be hidden or unnecessary (different levels, for instance). At the very least, all felt I should have had full disclosure about the need for seams in the first place. On his end KD says he's done many large islands and I'm the very first one to ever express a concern. To his credit, he says he will make it right for us one way or another.

As it turns out (after visits and calls to many places), large slabs do exist, however selection is limited. So that is one option, but not ideal. Finally (and only after I have dragged my heels for two weeks while looking into this), the KD tells me that his granite place has made him aware that there is a technique (costs more money) that is relatively new (??? ) where the fabricator can do the seaming at the shop with commercial level suction and top polish. They claim the seam is then virtually invisible. Has anyone heard of this or know the name of the equipment or the technique? Supposedly this is different from what is possible to do on site. I don't know why I was not advised of this as an option in the first place (the place that does this is the first place I looked).

Another alternative is to have the KD cut down the island by a foot or two. Then there's no issue with finding granite, but it does leave a little more empty space on that side of the kitchen, so not ideal at this point (we could have done things differently earlier on).

Perimeter cabinets are already installed - so this is holding us up. On the positive end - the cabinets are really beautiful and I can see the layout is shaping up nicely, too.

Also just wanted to make people aware that there apparently is a technique that can be done at the fabricator's in such a situation. I am planning a trip out there in the next few days to see this in person, but thought I'd ask for some feedback first. Any advice would be appreciated -thanks!

Comments (10)