SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sivyaleah

We Had To Shut Our Job Down Today :(

Laurie
13 years ago

So, our electrician goes to the DOB to file his permit. Secretary notices it says on his paperwork "additional work by others" and this starts bells ringing in her head.

Apparently, I was given incorrect information 3 weeks ago by another DOB official, someone who is high ranking no less. He, had not informed me that in our town they do not allow permits to be "piece-mealed", that they will only issue the work order once all subs have submitted their permits. I explain to her, that I had a very long discussion with said person, going over my TCO in great detail with him and he had ok'd me going ahead with construction (I, did not actually say that we had started anything).

She gives me the phone number of another DOB official, and mentions to me that I would probably need to submit drawings (ack! Thank god I work for architects and, my old boss is helping me on this job, and will be able to help with that) and make an appointment to come in to discuss all of this and...it will take about 3 weeks from when all my subs submit their permits (and, I myself, have to get one for the drywall work because my contractor is from out of town and can't pull a permit here) to get the work order because they "are very backed up" (for cripes sake I live in a rather small place!).

I start mildly freaking out because...we installed a 7' steel beam already in the kitchen the other day - on the sly. Yikes. And, it's completely demo'd to boot. Thank God they had not cut out the opening yet for the sliding door (they had taken out the window but that's not so bad, they nailed plywood over at least).

Called for the dumpster to be picked up so as not to have it garner any more attention than necessary (it was full anyway). Called my lawyer to tell him NOT to send the letter to my landlord yet about cancelling my lease in my apartment since it looks like I'll be stuck here for at least a month more than I expected (had hoped to move out by end July). Called the guy at the DOB, left a message and missed his call later that afternoon - darn! Called my old boss to tell my tale of woe and he tried to calm me down and told me to remeasure the 1st floor and he'll draw up the plans asap (thankfully he had the before measurements of the kitchen I'd sent earlier). Called my contractor many times trying to figure out what to do on all accounts.

Oh and yes - went out to dinner and had something to drink with it :P

I'm just hoping nobody from the DOB pokes their head in and I won't wind up with a violation at this point. And it isn't even my fault, as I went forward based on what that jerk at the DOB said I could do (ok, everything except that beam anyway - but we've all decided we'll just say it was there when we opened the walls up - it's plausible since we weren't the ones that did the porch addition to the kitchen to begin with lol).

Man, I need a vacation and it's just started. Blah. And I was just about to order all my appliances and cabinets Saturday, I AM BUMMED.

Comments (9)