SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olivesmom_gw

Designing a large island for the Kohler Stages 45?

olivesmom
10 years ago

I'm working with a stock plan and I'm trying to figure out exactly what changes I will be requesting. I know the kitchen layout and size will change, I'm just haven't quite figured out the specifics.

Here's the floorplan:

And here are a few photos of the completed kitchen:

For sure I want a different island and will be ditching the colums. Even though two level islands are not popular here, I would like to keep that aspect as I like how it blocks the view from the dining room and can be used to serve from. I won't be using the island for seating. I would keep the island in the same location, serving as a barrier and a buffet.

I saw this island on Houzz and fell in love.

It is 6.5' x 10.5' I don't think I'd want mine quite as wide though.

I'd like to do something similar, but with a kohler stages 45 sink. I figure with the stages I can use it for both prep and clean up, so I won't need a second prep sink. I'm pretty sure I'd have a small beverage sink to the right of the island next to the refrigerator, so there would still be an additional sink for drinks or handwashing.

So if the kohler stages is 45" + 24" on either side for additional space + 20" each upper level side = 11' 1" Width I'm not sure, the sink is 18.5" wide, so maybe 24" lower level + 20" for upper = 3" 8". What do you think of those measurements? Is there enough room on either side of the sink? Is 20" for the upper level too much?

And then, is an 11 foot long island crazy? I would have the dishwashers in the island. Maybe the range to the left and baking center behind. Or vice versa? The aisle to the right will have the refrigerator and bar area as well as the entrance to the mudroom/laundry/garage.

As drawn, the plan has the width of the kitchen at 17' 10". How much wider would it need to be to accommodate an 11 foot island? If I add 11' for the island + 42" on each side for aisles + 26" on each side for cabinets that's around 22' 4". Does that sound right?

The kitchen is drawn as 13" 7" in length. Not sure I would need it so long. Maybe more like 10". The refigerator wall would need to be 60" for the all fridge/ all freezer and then maybe 60" or so for the counter in between. As far as the island goes, 10' in length would leave roughly 4' in between in the rear wall of cabinets (baking center? Or range?) and the island.

So a kitchen that is 10' x 22'? The 22' part scares me.I'm not trying to have a huge monster kitchen, but I want it to work for me. Which means, keeping the mess contained from the dining/living spaces and having a large prep area.

Am I doing this all backwards? I don't need every detail pinned down just yet, but I do need an idea as to the size of the kitchen.

Comments (6)