SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimberlee19

Lurker needs help! is KD responsible for this screw up?

kimberlee19
15 years ago

I've lurked here for over a year and learned so much. I'm hoping you can help give me some advice!

My cabinets were delivered today and I'm freaking a little. We worked with a local lumber/supply company (Johnson Lumber) with a kitchen designer there for our kitchen addition, purchased the StarMark line. During the design process I sent the KD the specs for all of our appliances, so we could make sure everything fit as it should.

They were delivered today and the large cabinet housing the two wall ovens is wrong. We bought separate ovens to mount one over top the other, basically looking like a double oven. The specs recommend the wall oven be 32" from the floor - meaning that's the recommeded height for a SINGLE wall oven. She thought this meant it was a requirement for venting heat from the oven, so she designed the cabinet so the top of the first oven is 60 inches from the floor, and the bottom of the upper oven is 63 inches from the floor! I'm only 5'4", so I can't even reach the upper oven/microwave combo. (I hope I described this right, I put a link at the bottom to pictures.) We were also shorted one base cabinet for the island, supposedly StarMark's fault.

On the layouts and various side views that I signed off on, it didn't show the ovens this way - there was only one drawer under the ovens and a taller cabinet above with double doors. What I received has two drawers at the bottom and a small set of doors on top.

What I'm really upset about is shouldn't a kitchen designer realize this would be unacceptable? Shouldn't someone that does this for a living be able to look at that and right away say, "Wait, this just isn't right."

I'm waiting to hear back from them what they're going to do about it. This is my dream kitchen, over a year under construction, and a lot of money, work and sweat went into this. I do NOT want to settle for this. Am I right to expect that the company correct this? Am I right to assume it's a mistake the KD should have caught? I was so excited to see my cabinets today, and now I'm just really depressed.

Here is a link that might be useful: pics of my wall oven cabinet

Comments (15)