SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jjam08

Should I paint this railing?

jjam
16 years ago

This is actually pulled from another thread that deals with my dining room (in progress). Painters are about ready to start and it's time for a decision about whether to paint my stair railing in the foyer. Right now it looks like a lot of shades of brown, taupe, and the natural oak which is yellowing. I would like to break up all the wood and paint the railings black, leaving the spindles white. I think I would need to paint both of them (one on each side). What do you think?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

BTW, Light fixture is going to go; will be something other than polished brass.

Thanks

Comments (34)

• les917
    16 years ago

I did my hi-tech version of PS by printing out your pix and coloring the railings in black with a Sharpie. Then I did another pix leaving the railings in oak, but doing the spindles and the hardware on the handrail on the wall in black.

I kind of liked the spindles, etc. in black - sort of a wrought iron look which is seen a lot today.

I don't think I would do the railings in black, especially if the stairs are staying in the oak tone. The handrail on the other side kind of ends up looking like a long black slash on the wall, too.

Maybe someone with real PS skills can do both versions for you, but you could also try it with a marker for yourself and see what you think.

• DYH
    16 years ago

I had black railing and balusters in my last house with dark wood floors and sage walls. The newel posts and ballusters were square. What color are you planning to paint the walls?

• Related Discussions

Stair Hand Railing Paint Color

Q

Comments (2)
    Painting will not look right and it will not hold up. There are firms that will come in and spray (refinish) your treads and bannister because that is what I did. Then you can paint the spindles. My staircase was similar all one color from 1970s.
    ...See More

Replace or paint hand rail to match wall – hardwood question

Q

Comments (7)
    Thank you Saypoint. Oh I like those brackets much better than my white ones and prefer without the wall plate. I like your newel too. Have you ever had a shirt (darn hoodie or comfy sweater pockets) get caught up on the rail? It might just be a me issue with my kitchen cabinet knobs and my short height! I'm wondering now why we have the railing going into wall plates. Do you think it has anything to do with extra support because my railing is so long? Actually the bottom of rail is directly into the wall. This one looks a little thicker than mine. If I'm going to keep the same spindles with the square I'm assuming I should repeat the square part in the newel. Saypoint I really like your newel paired with those spindles. I think I prefer that over the blockiness (is that a word?) of what I have going on currently.
    ...See More

This handrail on my Craftsman staircase needs to be updated~

Q

Comments (9)
    Spec builder version slap together version of "Craftsman". Bad marriage of newel posts at top of stair. Go right ahead and paint in an "almost black" . Not going to be fun at the base of the white spindles. BM Kendall Charcoal would work. I see no paint sin here. Sorry. Someone ran to Home Depot........................: ( for that "turned" post, which is there and not square...why?? Because it would have had to have been custom.. Paint sinners unite lol , the "muddle" is already in place and no harm done with paint at all.
    ...See More

What color should I paint my railings??

Q

Comments (3)
    I'm not sure what you're trying to match the railing to. I'd leave it alone. Painting the railing black would draw a lot of attention to it - is that your intention? Wait and see what the space looks like after you add furniture and art. All of that grey needs a bit of warm wood anyway.
    ...See More
  • reeree_natural
    16 years ago

jjam
    hmmm...paint? not too sure. .maybe check out miniwax gel stain to change the color.. there was a post on here about it, she changed an oak mantel to mahogany and it was just beautiful. ( comes in many different shades) I tried it and loved the results.. it's easy to use and covers well.. just a thought :) Ree

• jjam
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Walls are planning to stay the same. Honestly, the reason I am posting this question is that I'm a little afraid of the starkness of the black against the light walls. I'm also wondering about a darker stain instead of black; maybe a mahogany/espresso stain instead? If anyone has photos of their stairway with some contrast between the stair/railing/spindles I'd love to see it.

Photoshoppers, if you're up for this I'd love to see it in a photo. I tried what Les suggested but my printer doesn't have the best quality image.

• daisyadair
    16 years ago

Here's a pic I found. It doesn't show it against the wall, but it sure looks pretty against the oak:

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

jjam
    here are two photo's that may help you visualize the lighter walls and darker contrast of railings

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• jjam
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks reeree.

Those photos do help. I wish I didn't have the railing on the right side; as les said, it may look odd painted black. But I do need it as the top of the stairs would have no railing at all if I removed it. So I'm still not seeing it clearly in my head yet. I do feel like the stairway is screaming for some contrast and black would look great with the runner I have. I've also got lots of black accents throughout the house. I also looked at another site with photos of stairs and all of them had the railings and the stair treads the same. So I wonder if I paint the railing, should I paint the stair treads as well?

• houstonmom_gw
    16 years ago

I would remove the handrail that is mounted to the wall, adding a shorter handrail at the top 1/3 of the stairs on the opposite wall.

That seems like a logical solution :)

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

jjam
    I never really see hand rails matching the flooring. Usually the hand rail is darker..mine is..we have oak flooring and our railings are mahogany..I think it looks just fine. I see you do have a black chair.. and I do like the picture daisyadair posted..that is very pretty..I would do that or a mahogany or dark cherry..even if you go with black..do the gel stain..I wouldn't use paint as you might get chipping down the road. I wouldn't worry about the hand rail going up the wall..it would look just fine. If is does bother you..than what houstonmom suggested is also a great idea. I hope a photo shopper will jump in a help..it always helps to see it before we do it..I have been trying to learn to photo shop myself..but the programs I am getting are not too easy as i would love to see things differently in my house..it is a great tool..(helps not making mistakes) If I catch on any time soon, I will be more than happy to help..but still trying to figure it out...Ree

• teacats
    16 years ago

I would paint both handrails in a the same color as the rest of trim around the whole area ... :)

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I would paint the wall rail white to blend into the trim that runs behind it. Those long runs can be useful, esp when you're sick or have a bad back or for someone who is older, so you can hold both sides and support yourself on the way down.

Love black and white stairing, but they do look formal, imo. The rail seems to blend in nicely since it matches your flooring and picks up other colors in the walls and furnishings. But if you don't like it for some reason, maybe try a darker gel stain, as suggested for additional contrast and to tone it down, picking up the darker color in the flooring.

• robnj_2006
    16 years ago

We ended up painting our railing and main supports black (not staining) using a glossy exterior black - spindles stayed white. If I could remember my photobucket login, I would post a picture. but in the end, this ended up being one of the best choices we made paint wise. And despite what some people thought, fingerprints are not an issue.

• fuzzywuzzer
    16 years ago

I like the idea of the black rail, and try painting the wall rail same color as the molding, if not removing it altogether.

FW

• jjam
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all. I've made a gazillion decisions in the past year and this one is one of the toughest. I guess it's because you can't really re-paint if you're not happy (like my dining room!) I'm happy to hear robnj you are happy you did it. What is bothering me about the stairs now is that there are so many neutral shades together, and the natural oak looks yellow/orange against the more olive/taupe shade of the carpet runner. (I'd love to go darker on all the floors and stair treads, but that's not going to happen anytime soon.) Mix in the other neutral shades on the wallpaper, and it's just kind of a mix of shades that are close to being the same, and nothing "pops". If anyone else has tried it or knows of some photo sources, please chime in. Also, a photoshopper could be the answer....(hint hint) Thanks all.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here ya go! Starting with black and then a variety of stains/glazing. In the last image, I added black in another form with the chandy:

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

jjam
    What squirrel did is the perfect solution! Love the hand rail dark..and what a great idea to paint the one against the wall white so it blends in and not too noticeable ... I really like it! Ree

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Squirrel
    1444 pictures in your photoshack ??? Holy Cow!!! (smile)
    Ree

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I wish they wouldn't put that thing at the top, lol! I tried to get rid of it but haven't figured it out yet. Can you believe I have hundreds of other pages in another account (when I lost access to this one)!

I'm nuts!!!

I look at it this way -- great training and experience, a portfolio!, and I've started a new little business! Just need to get myself out there and make some money :)

I'm trying to work my way up to your house, but I think it's a bit intimidating and I'm exhausted right now :)

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I like the railing toned down and darkened, as in the new chandy pic, but not black -- what do you think?

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Squirrel
    That would be some business!!! Hundreds of others in another account?? Holy Cow again..LOL!!!!!!

I like the railing dark and toned down also (not black) Loved that you blended the wall railing into the white on the wall going up..great job Squirrel..very creative!!

don't worry about my house at all...I am fine...I have been trying different programs and still not getting it.. I find it difficult to figure out ..but I am determined to do so..(smile) get some rest!!! Ree

• jjam
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Squirrel,

THANK YOU! I will be forever grateful.
    ll look at the photos again in the morning but I'm inclined to agree with you. Darker railing; not black, but a very dark brown. I'm also ready to run to the lighting store tomorrow.......the light fixture change will probably make the biggest difference.

You are very talented!!

• motherof3
    16 years ago

Hi jjam - I have what you want! I have almost the same exact foyer/stair railing as you, but I have oak stair treads with a darker railing and white spindles. The funny thing is that I want what you have - matching oak floors and railings! I even have the stair rail running up along the opposite wall. Both railings are dark wood. I have been thinking about painting both stair rails and balusters white or refinishing the railings back to the original oak color...or staining the railings black. I would love to remove the railing up the wall too.

If you can wait until this weekend, I can have my husband email you a pic of it...I'm not sure if I can figure out how to upload a pic to this site (I am so computer challenged even though I was a tech consultant prior to the kids)

motherof3

• iasheff
    16 years ago

I like the stair treads and railings that match-- could be because that is what is in our house though :) Been that way for at least the last 110 years too. I seem to prefer the darker look too (once again, that is what we have)

We have white spindles-- and I just repainted them for the first time in about 50 years. It was a job I just kept putting off. If I have anything to do with it, it will be another 50 years before they are painted again. It was the biggest PITA. Took me about 16 hours to get the stairway and hallway spindles done :( At least it looks good now though.

• robnj_2006
    16 years ago

Here's ours in BM outdoor high gloss black. Treads and floors are golden oak.

{{!gwi}}

• jjam
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, robinj. Your stairs are a knockout. It may have been your original post that flashed in my mind when I had the idea to do this...I know I've seen it before. Now I'm probably just as confused as when I started, but I will take my time with this one. It REALLY helps to see one with similar colors to mine. My stairs are nowhere near as grand or interesting architecturally as yours, and that is probably why I'm looking for something to make them more so. Or, it's entirely possible that I'm trying to put a silk purse on a sow's ear; LOL, in which case I should just leave it alone and accept the fact that the stair railing is not my favorite feature of my house and leave it at that. I have until mid week to let the painter know; or I just pass on this one until some other work gets done. (New light fixture, for instance!!)

• jjam
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We did paint the railing and we love it. Thought you'd like to see the results if you're considering this.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

So you went with the black! Looks gawgeous :) Much better than the virtual, now with all the highlights.

(Now paint your return vent in the hall tan :)

• jjam
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ha! Thought I could sneak that return vent by!! Just curious; how does one do that?? I've never painted one before.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I think I'd take it off and spray paint it. Light coats so it doesn't get drippy between the slats. But I'm no paint expert :) You can get wooden ones too though I'm not sure I've seen them that large. Maybe a fancy one with scrolling or something :) painted though. hehehe

• ilanab
    16 years ago

Love it!! I have been contemplating doing the same thing for quite some time. BUT we have all oak - floor, spindles, rails (original homeowners had little imagination) and I am afraid the cost will be prohibitive to do the spindles white and the rails black. Can you gve me an estimate on how much it cost you to do the rails? And who did you use - i.e. - floor guy or painter?

Thanks!!

• Robbi D.
    16 years ago

Beautiful!!

I've painted a few of my return vents. Clean them well (remove dust and oils) and spray paint them like Squirrel said.

Robbi

• jjam
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We had the painter do it but the price included tons of other stuff so I don't know what it would have been. Our spindles were already white, so the railing was all he did. He sanded, primed, and painted it. It didn't take him that long, except that the first "black" I chose had a lot of blue in it (BM onyx) so he went over it again. We actually ended up using a rustoleum black satin enamel that we had sitting in the garage, and it was just right.
    Thanks for your kind comments.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

jjam
    Looks perfect! Came out really beautiful! What a big difference... love it!
    Ree

• DYH
    16 years ago

Looks wonderful! Just in time for the holidays. I really like how it worked out for you with the beautiful wallpaper. Great color combo.

Cameron