SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethohio3_gw

Guest room: purple and green

bethohio3
11 years ago

I'd like to finish our guest room before my BFF (and a ton of other people) come for annual New Year's House Party.

This is the best inspiration photo I could find (I know I said I never found inspirations, but this one I found) for the feel and colors of the room.

3 walls are BM Tree Moss and the accent wall is BM Cupid's Dart.

Floorplan: The 11'9" x 14'10" is a bit off, as you can see by the outside measurements.

This is how the room looks from the doorway:

From the closet corner:

Towards the window:

From bed wall

I don't currently have a dresser or mirror, but am looking for something to put to the right of the closet door.

The bed will be centered on the wall before hanging anything above it.

I was considering purple panels for the window. Although it's not obvious in the picture, there are blinds. Would it make sense to go paler than the wall or similar to the walls? How far down should they hang? I don't want them to puddle, so was thinking just a few inches above the baseboard.

Everyone but me hates the black light fixture, so it will probably go. (I do mean everybody--DH, DS, both DDs, BFF, and total strangers off the street.) What would make sense to put there? I have a rocking chair in the MBR that I'd like to find another home.

I was thinking of a large plant to the right of the window, and a bench with a patterned seat under the window--I'd look for a patterned fabric bringing in both wall colors.

I'm not sure what to put above the bed--I don't have anything crying out to go there, although I do have two Santa Fe opera poster sized prints in the master that I'd like to move elsewhere and I think the colors could work.

Obviously, it still needs a reading lamp by the bed, and I thought I'd look at Michael's and Joanne's today for vases like the ones in the picture. Once I have those, I can hang the two leaning pictures.

I also have a few frames that have similar colors and am planning on getting a nice picture of BFF and me to put in one.

I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions.

(Note that I'm continuing my trend towards working on the rooms I personally use least.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Copy cat bench I'm thinking of making

Comments (28)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I try to think about what I would like if I were a guest in the room. I'd like an end table on each side of the bed with lamps so one person can roll over to sleep while the other could sit up and read. I like the idea of a bench as I'd want a place to put my luggage. Depending on how long your guests will stay, a desk area may be more useful than a dresser, though a mirror is essential. Or perhaps you have room for a chest of drawers...

If you choose that, then after the lamps are in you can decide what to put over the bed. Perhaps something soft to contrast with the metal on the bed.

I'd definitely go lighter with the drapes...probably hang them to the bottom of the sill, or to the floor.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Of course it doesn't have to be stripes...I still have no power so finding fabric on line is still a struggle...but I can see a print or geometric as well...but something that pulls the lavender and green together.

And of course I'd love to see a vase or pitcher full of dried lavender in the room for looks ad fragrance.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

First of all, I love the purple/green combination. But I believe that if you want a refined look to the room, you have to limit the purple to small bits around the room. Look at your inspiration picture - almost everything is green or white. There might be purple flowers on the buds in the vases, but that's it. So I would say no to purple drapes, yes to some purple in the bench fabric.

There is a mathematical formula for using color that you may want to read about called the 60-30-10 rule. You don't have to follow it, but you may want to understand why it exists.

Here is a link that might be useful: 60-30-10 rule

• Related Discussions

i need a gray that is gray!! not blue, purple or green :(

Q

Comments (6)
    Adding black to white will give you gray. This is different than mixing colors trying to get black or gray. Ask your paint store guy. But if you feel too timid to try this then check out the rooms in the link below. When you click on the photo it will tell you the brand and name of the paint they used. Keep in mind that putting a tiny bit of color sample against the gold wall will affect the way you view it. Try putting the gray paint in the middle of a large white board leaving white edges and then placing the board in different spots around the room to see how you like it with different light hitting it. Here is a link that might be useful: Gray Rooms
    ...See More

Decorating Debacle - Purple Guest Room

Q

Comments (13)
    Interesting as it doesn't look like a girly purple on line. I painted my mud room BM tropical dusk and it doesn't look the least bit girly.... it looks to be softer than the lilac light. A lot will depend on the fabrics you put with it. Avoid florals and go with modern graphic prints and solids. Avoid fussy things and look for clean, straight lines. [Contemporary Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2103) by Winchester Interior Designers & Decorators Mary Courville Designs [Traditional Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2107) by Arlington Interior Designers & Decorators Arlington Home Interiors
    ...See More

Help needed with green paint for guest bedroom

Q

Comments (9)
    If I might offer one tip... green was hard for us-until we changed the sheen. We kept trying so many different colors and it'd be close, but none were right for us until we tried, believe it or not, flat for this bedroom. Not that it's the be all and end all, it's after he got all the antiques and I have left over furniture. I just thought it was kinda like getting a red right. Except with reds, it has to have several layers to be right. Weirdness! Good luck.
    ...See More

Next project: guest room, formerly DS room

Q

Comments (74)
    True! I have goofy “decorative items” in pretty much every room, so I probably need him. Speaking of stuffed animals, my DS was obsessed with Richard Scarry books and characters when he was little. Until last week, his stuffed animal characters were still on the bookcase. I finally took them down and was ready to toss them in the Junk pile, but then I stupidly got teary. Had to stash them on the closet shelf instead. DS still keeps clothes in the closet for when he comes home to visit, so he will see the animals looking down from the shelf when he opens the closet. I’m such a sappy mom these days. ETA omg he’s out of stock!! Sad. Again.
    ...See More
  • bethohio3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Annie--I can't believe you are managing to use your precious power to post! If you were closer, you could use our guest room until your power comes back! (DS and one DD are away at school, so there are actually 3 extra beds)

I think I might be in love with that purple/green stripe--it hadn't even occurred to me to use a stripe for the drapes. Where did you find it? And it's much less pronounced than the solid purple I was envisioning. (I'm getting less afraid of color, but I'm still afraid of patterns.)

graywings--thank you! I'm reading and reading!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Here, but gray wings may be right. However, you did veer toward the bold with your color choices vs the inspiration, so I'm thinking you want something more bold.

You could also look for a geometric that may be closer to the fabrics in your inspiration picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabric

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

Your purple is many shades darker than your green, therefore it is overwhelming the room. Also, it's a very red purple. To compliment that grey/green, you need an equally muted purple, something with grey or blue undertones.

Look at those fabrics Annie posted. The wide green stripe on the first fabric is close to what you used. But notice how blue the complimentary wide stripe is?

Looking at the second fabric with the much brighter palette, do you see how the darkest green is next to an equally dark purple? Then the next stripe is a much lighter purple, and it is next to a much lighter green.

There are lots of paint programs on line and usually at the paint store that will choose the appropriate complimentary shade for you, once you know the main color you want to use. Fabrics and wallpaper also provide great color combinations for guidance.

If you want to stick with the two colors you've got, I would suggest using a lot of accents in a green that is bright enough to balance that purple on the wall. I think the better solution though, is to paint the purple wall to match the other walls, and then use purple to your hearts content in all of your accessories!

I'm sorry to be negative about the choices I'm sure you agonized over...everyone struggles with paint colors. I think the purples are especially hard to work with because the slightest change in the undertones can make the difference in whether it works or not. You already have a lot of work invested, I think it would be well worth your time to perfect your use of the two colors before you add the finishing touches.

• EG3d
    11 years ago

I ADORE purple and green together. Put white drapes at the window, repeat the black in an accent as well. The art piece or pieces above the bed MUST tie in all your colors - that shade of purple, your shade of green, white and black.

This was my daughter's room years ago.

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

On my monitor, the wood of the bed and side table/book case looks very much like orange, introducing another color. Are you going to paint or stain that?
    Also, see below for green/purple bedrooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: green/purple bedrooms

• blondepegasus
    11 years ago

I have to echo Cindyloo's sentiments. The purple wall color is not coordinating well with the green wall color because it's several shades too dark and it's a different tone. I think the room would look fantastic if you eliminated the focal wall of purple and painted it the same green as the other walls, then accessorized with the purples as others have suggested. It will look more elegant and refined that way. It will also help to mask the orangy tone of the wood on your bed if it's up against green instead of purple.

• deeinohio
    11 years ago

I'm not a fan of accent walls in general so I agree with painting all 4 walls your green color.

I also would not hang your two pictures together unless they share the same mat color and frame color.

You could probably do a fair representation of the large purple painting in the inspiration photo yourself, hang that over your dresser, then your smaller paintings elsewhere, or over the bed.

Dee

• porkandham
    11 years ago

Another vote to paint the purple wall green and use purple in accessories and linens throughout the room. I think curtains will look best going to the floor. They can just skim the floor without breaking or puddling.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

I'm not a big fan of accent walls for my house, but I don't see anything wrong with them in general - or yours in specific. I also think you got the green/purple balance right. If it were not dark out, I could snap a photo of my purple front door and green surround, which look pretty similar to your walls.

I agree that the purple seems to be pulling out an orange tone in the wood. Maybe it's just the photo. I wouldn't worry about it now. You can always paint the wood down the road if you want to.

• bethohio3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, everyone.

The thought of painting again depresses me, as I hired out the painting. I'm a horribly messy painter and can't cut-in worth a darn. I think I'll wait until other pieces are in place before deciding if that wall needs to be repainted. I've never had an accent wall before--DH hates everything but beige walls.

I hadn't thought about staining the bed and bookcase--but I definitely can. I'll be staining the legs on the bench, so I could do them all at the same time.

I have a small black chest that could move up to the guest room, but I'm not sure about colors of the various pieces. The primary purpose of the dresser would be to put a mirror over--most of our guests stay 2-4 days and live out of their suitcases and the closet.

Bed: currently orangish stain
    Bookcase: also orangish stain
    Nightstand: white
    Small chest if I bring it up: black
    Bench legs: TBD
    Writing desk: haven't acquired yet but might
    Mirror: haven't acquired yet

Is the white too much in there, with the black in the headboard? I could definitely paint some of the other pieces white or black (even the wood in the bed, for that matter). I think the idea of clean white appeals to me.

If I put a writing desk in there, I might put it to the left of the bed and not have a second night stand. (It will only get acquired if I find a used one.) If I do get a desk for there, the bookcase could go if the room seems too crowded.
    (This room doesn't get "new" new furniture--the budget just isn't there.

I've found a couple of different fabric combination possibilities for the curtains and bench cover. I'm ordering fabric samples so I can look at them in the room and light.

The inspiration photo might be a bit misleading--I'm more concerned about the room being fun and pleasant than refined.

Things I'm looking at right now:

Fabric alternatives:

Window views:

Any thoughts?

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

Is the bedding grey and white?

Will you be able to close the drapes or will they stay gathered at the sides of the windows?

• bethohio3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm just planning on one panel on each side--there are blinds for light control and privacy.

The bedding is actually a very grey green with ivory. It's the pillow in the fabric alternatives image. I'd consider getting something else if everything else worked and the linens were too grey to look good with everything else.

I guess in an ideal world I'd have picked everything to go together all at once :-).

• geokid
    11 years ago

I like either of the striped options on the left side of each picture for curtains. The stripe on the right in the top photo looks too sweet, like baby's room fabric.

I like either of the flower patterns for the bench fabric. Whichever one looks best with the orange tones in the wood if you don't stain the furniture. The green and purple watercolor could work as pillows. I'm not sure the purple and white scroll fabric is the right purple.

Overall, the fabrics in the first photo (minus the nursery fabric on the right :-) ) look the most pulled together and compliment both the green and the purple the best. They feel to me the more grown-up of the fabrics, but still fun.

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

The bed is usually the focal point in a bedroom. Many people find the bedding first and then do the entire room around it.

Your current bedding is already lost among your walls and it will fade out even more if you add a vibrant print elsewhere in the room without carrying it to the bed.

"I guess in an ideal world I'd have picked everything to go together all at once"

That would have been ideal. Fortunately you have chosen a popular color scheme and you'll have no problem finding fabrics to finish the room. But the bedding, curtains, and bench have to work together, so it's a good idea to decide on all of these things at one time.

My process is:

I search for bedding within my budget that is so beautiful I am willing to work the rest of the room around it.

If I don't find the ideal bedding, I know I can find a fabric I will love. Then I work the whole room around that fabric. This usually means I will end up with bedding in a solid color. My fabric and/or coordinating fabrics will appear via bed pillows, a throw, curtains, bench, etc.

Since you only have one window, if it is within your budget I'd try extra hard to find the ideal bedding. If the bed is special enough it can carry the room almost as is.

• User
    11 years ago

I like the paint colors you've chosen for the walls, even if they don't look like the inspiration photo. The values of the colors are different, but there is obviously much more of the green (three walls) to the purple (one wall) so it looks right to me for the more predominant color area-wise to be somewhat lighter.

I hope you come up with some fabric pleasing for the curtins, but if you don't you could consider a white curtain banded in purple and green. And I would definitely paint the wood bits of the bed frame and the dresser as well, either white or light gray---or stain them a very light ash or something.

There is a lilac and white bedroom in the current Veranda that is lovely and soothing. Purple can be a difficult color but you've a good start with your walls. Good luck!

• geokid
    11 years ago

What about going in a little bit different of a direction? This bedroom by Candice Olson is purple and green, but not overly so. You could recreate this look easily in your room. I think the main issue with your room is that the purple wall is such a big focal point. I think you need to diminish it a little and make it more of an accent. Side tables with mirrors or large neutral art (easily made with fabric stretched on frames) above them would do it.

• k9arlene
    11 years ago

I would definitely paint the bed and bookcase white. The orange wood color doesn't look good next to the purple wall. I'd like to stay in a guest bedroom that is relaxing, but you seem to want to create a room that is very lively and stimulating, so I can't offer any other suggestions.

• bethohio3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

K9arlene, I do know what you mean.

DD (the older)'s room (which is mostly a guest room since she's all but moved out totally), is calm and relaxing. Many of our guests stay there, because it has a convenient bathroom with no other bedrooms near by.

DS's room (which is also mostly a guest room since he also has all but moved out) is a jumble of stuff and will eventually be streamlined a bit, but will be a more masculine room.

This guest room is known as BFF's room, so it is being focused on her taste so that she LOVES the room. Everyone else who stays there knows it's BFF's room so they expect it to feel like her and her personality. But I guess you're right--I'd not really leaning towards 'relaxing'. I'm leaning towards lively. I do want it to be comfortable, though--it might be bright, but it'll be fully functional with a comfortable bed, a place for luggage, lighting to read in bed, a mirror, and either a reading chair or a writing desk. (I don't think both will fit.)

DD (the younger) goes off to college next fall. When her room turns into an additional guest room, it's the most stimulating of all of them :-).

BFF actually spends more time at our house in her room than DD the older spends in her room here, which is why it is reflecting her so much!

Of course, I guess I can throw lots of big house parties, since there will be so many guest rooms!

• gmp3
    11 years ago

I have to agree with other posters about your furniture . Gel staining it dark (java) or painting it white would make both work. Light mostly white bedding and lighter drapes will pull the whole room together. I can't wait to see it all together, I think it is going to look lovely.

Perhaps you could get some prints like these from eBay and frame them.

Here is a link that might be useful: prints

• geokid
    11 years ago

Ahhh, that changes things! In that case, ignore the pic I posted and your fabric choices are perfect except for the nursery fabric. :)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Do you need that many guest rooms? Just for future mulling, you might think about what else those rooms could be used for...craft room, reading room, exercise room, heck my old aunt even turned one room into the cat's room....filled it with climbing things, cat bed, toys, etc.

Of course when the grand babies start to show up, it's a whole 'nother thing.....
    ;)

• bethohio3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You're right, Annie--we don't need that many guest rooms most of the time. (About 2 weekends a year, we do--and then people are doubled and tripled up.)

We bought a huge house when we had 3 kids at home--and next year we'll have no kids at home. But I don't think I'm ready to "un-kid" the rooms yet. I want them to feel as if they still have a room here, even if they don't use it much. In the current economic situation, downsizing doesn't make any sense for us.

My sewing and craft area is in the basement rec room. We have an exercise equipment storage room in the basement. So, I guess I'll keep having bedrooms that aren't used much!

On the decorating side, I'm starting to wonder if white bedding would work in the purple and green wall room. I absolutely *love* white bedding and the reason I don't have it in the MBR is because DH wants to leave the walls Shaker Beige. White bedding with beige walls seemed too bland to me.

I'm waiting for the fabric samples I ordered, and then I'll throw a white cover on the bed and take some pictures and see what that looks like.

That'll leave furniture painting/staining to solve.

I'm resigning myself to the fact that it's unlikely to be done by New Year's--but that doesn't mean lots of it won't be.

• bethohio3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've settled on the curtains and bench fabrics. I know it looks on the monitor as if the bench fabric doesn't work with the purple wall, but in person, in morning, afternoon, and artificial light, it does.

I'm not sure yet if the bedding will change, but it does work with everything else until I find something else that wows me.

Everyone (me, too) agrees that the bed and bookcase look too orangy. So, here's my newest question.

What should I stain darker and what should I paint?

Dresser--needs to be painted: white, black? deeper green?
    Bed--paint white or stain dark?
    Bench legs--I'm leaning towards white
    Side table--repaint (needs it) as white
    Bookcase: gel stain dark, or paint white?

Should they all be the same?

Ideally, I'll get it done this weekend so all the painting and such will be done before the fabric gets here and I have curtains to make. DD (the younger at 17) is going to assist in the curtain making--it seems like a skill she ought to learn.

• bethohio3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just thought I'd share an update.

The orangy bookcase and bed posts are now white. Ultra white. The bedside table also got sanded down and a fresh coat of white.

I am the world's messiest painter, but the room is mostly cleaned up again (thank goodness for drop cloths).

I found a black curtain rod (Lowe's) that has similar to lines to the black metal in the bed.

I didn't paint the black dresser. My plan is to put everything else in its place and then evaluate whether that touch of black is good for the room.

That's also my plan about white bedding--once everything is put back together, I'll try both the white and the existing sage, and assess.

BTW, DH was not comfortable with me painting the wood bed posts or the wood bookcase. He finally caved, justifying that the wood wasn't that nice anyway. I had told him that he could just keep reminding himself that I wasn't painting any wood furniture in our bedroom!

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving holiday.

• neetsiepie
    11 years ago

Love your fabric choices and that your painted the furniture white. I'd keep the dresser in the black, as it'll play off the headboard. What color are the knobs? I can't tell if they're gold or silver-in either case, I think I'd go with new knobs that aren't so substantial. Something more sleek would be good.

What about sconces for lights? I've fallen in love with sconces on either side of the bed. And for art...not in love with your prints, as I'd probably go with something bigger in scale. Perhaps change the mats? Frames?

You're on a good roll...can't wait to see the final product.