SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blondie859111

Living Room Furniture and Layout Advice?

blondie859111
13 years ago

Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to give me. We're building (ourselves) a home and I'm ready to layout and purchase LR furniture. I had everything settled till my husband mentioned mounting a moose head on wall. Well, there went my crystal chandelier and aqua velvet furniture! I'm crystal and fancy, he's wildlife and rustic.So, back to drawing board.

I want to make this room what he wants. He's walked every step with me through my breast cancer battle, and then started building this house that I designed. He loves an antler chandelier so I've included a pic of that- it's resin. I'm facing the back wall where the flat screen tv is with ledgestone to help tie the natural elements together.

You will notice a script fabric- a linen blend from Best Chair- which I love. I also found a nice sofa, but it does not come in leather. I had hoped to find a nice pair of leather sofas and put them across from one another in the middle of room- but don't like the "overstuffed" look. The sofa pictures does come in a color call "shitake" - a mushroom, which goes really well with script fabric.

I would very much appreciate any help, because I am so far out of my element here. Layout is always an issue for me as well. TV and windows directly opposite one another. I love the black burnished setees, but not sure it ties in?

Kitchen is all white, marble, possible soapstone, mini chandeliers, rest of the house, very light and fresh. Lots of natural sunlight.

Link below to house plan, pics of all things mentioned.

Thank you so much!

Here is a link that might be useful: Living Room Plans & Furniture

Comments (25)

• Carol_from_ny
    13 years ago

I get the antlers and the ledge stone but the rest of it IMHO just doesn't cut it in a room where you are going to have a animal mounted to the wall.
    I'd go more rustic. Twig tables,a pair of over stuffed leather chairs. I like the settee but not with the script fabric. I'd be concern that the script fabric would be too light in a room where you are going to have masculine features.
    Unless you are farther ahead on your building than what your pic shows I think you are putting the horse before the cart.
    Finish the room. Get it painted. Hang the antlers an then look for your pieces.

• User
    13 years ago

"I'm crystal and fancy, he's wildlife and rustic."

Oh dear! .... but velvet can be rustic as well as girly. it's just a posh rustic - the difference between a cowboy's line shack and a hunting lodge.

It's an eclectic design scheme, pulled together by the colors. To make the black settee work, you need some other elements in black, perhaps some pillows or frames on artwork.

• Related Discussions

Living room paint color, furniture color, and layout of such furniture

Q

Comments (10)
    If you want to exactly match your plan and make the house the way you want, then you should work closely not only with the workers and decorators but also with the furniture maker directly. Or find a good store selling furniture. By the way, you should also read a lot of reviews about the choice of furniture and its specificity. I can advise you to study the material on this resource https://furnishingsmaster.com/best-outdoor-rocking-chairs-review/ . This will help in your selection and your repair.
    ...See More

Furniture layout advice for new Living room

Q

Comments (1)
    What is on those walls? The floor is very busy and contemporary and really doesn't go with the bay window
    ...See More

Advice on furniture layout for living room

Q

Comments (6)
    Katie, not sure of dimensions or window placement, but here is a plan for you to consider. Creating two areas will be more inviting and useful. Anchor the main seating area with a large (8x10) rug and hang some giant art. It would be helpful to post pics of furniture you have and sizes. The nice thing about furniture is that you can move it around.
    ...See More

Living room layout/furniture advice

Q

Comments (4)
    Thanks for the feedback!  We suspected a bigger rug would be needed. We haven't quite found one we like but we'll need to expand our search.  If I were to move the art behing the sofa, what would I put above the fireplace? I had trouble with this location at my old place and mostly just had a cluttered mantle (which I am aiming to avoid this time).  I was thinking maybe replacing the end table and coffee table. I am not good at mixing woods though, do I go with a wood colour? Do I go with black metal and glass? Or maybe have no coffee table? 🤔 Regarding the dining table, it isn't that close to the island regularly. Not sure weather it is just the picture or if it had gotten moved around but normally there is a walkway in between.
    ...See More
  • lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Blondie- Hi! Nice to see you back :)

First of all, what are the dimensions of your living room? I think your change in style will work out great, since this room is not open to the kitchen. It's very sweet that you want to decorate this in your DH's taste...they can be pretty wonderful, can't they?

My first concern is your placement of the TV. I love the idea of the rock behind it, but I'm wondering if it would be better on the wall to the kitchen. You could have an L-shaped seating area, with one side against the opposite wall and the other floating out, in front of the wall (the TV is on in the plan). This would allow you to view the TV from the entire seating area, which is great when having people over for movies, sports, etc....or for the two of you.

You could also tuck in a chair (and maybe ottoman) in that corner against the small window, opposite the french door, to the outside. I would put these on the angle, coming out from the corner, and it would give you a great place to read, with all the sunshine coming in from that big window. You could put furniture in front of the window, but I would recommend a low bench or shelves, so you're not blocking you light or views.

Leather is a great choice, and I'd use two sofas, or a sofa and big love seat, in the L-shape. This would give you room for a wonderful coffee table and the antler chandelier above it. The chair and ottoman could be in a slightly softer, fancier fabric, but still go with the room (maybe a leaf or vine print?)...or you could do the sofas in a fabric and the chair and ottoman in the leather.

The moose head would look great over the sofa, or maybe on the rock wall, if there's room to get around it, with the walkway. You could also put it on the TV wall...how big is the moose head?

Sounds like a very cozy room, with a lot of guy appeal. I love a room that would suit John Wayne, so I think this room is going to be wonderful :)

• loribee
    13 years ago

I loooove your choices...right up my alley! Compromise is big in this house too. :)

• blondie859111
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the great ideas.
    caro_ny- I am staying away from full on rustic because the rest of the house is anything but, hoping to strike a balance hat will flow with the rest of the house.
    The sheetrock is up, and they furniture takes about 10 weeks to deliver so I have to make some sort of decision.
    Lav- I had not considered "l-shaped" furniture so I will take a look at that.Moose head would go on the peak wall opposite the bank of windows.
    lazygardens, you fully understand i think . I saw a picture on restoration hardware site where they had velvet or linen chairs under an antler chandelier- very nice!
    I had found there also some very nice zinc finished letters, to continue the font theme and add to a coffee table- link below. Will look for more black/gray wall accents. If you happen to visit the link search "antler" to see a chandelier in a room scene that is less rustic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zinc Letters

• kristinekr
    13 years ago

how about a leather sectional like this one. Its leather, but not overstuffed. Its Thomasville Benjamin.

From uploads

• blondie859111
    Original Author
    13 years ago

kristinekr, thank you for that picture. i went to the thomasville site and found a perfect sofa! link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Hemmingway Sofa

• Olychick
    13 years ago

Maybe a glam moose head?

Seriously, I googled modern moose head and found lots of images of moose head art pieces. Might he go for that - they may be a more manageable size? I've recently seen some papier mache' animal heads in decor shops that I loved, even though it's not anything I'd likely decorate with myself. Just a thought

Here is a link that might be useful: Moose head alternatives

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I love the Hemingway Collection at Thomasville! My favorite was the Kenyan series, but they are all wonderful.

So your style looks like rustic/romantic. With this style you can mix moose heads with fancier fabrics and antlers with crystal. That just happens to be my kitchen style...at least, that's what I like to call it...with a bit of a french twist. LOL

If you're using the leather on the sofa (which looks great) how about a velvet chair and ottoman?

{{!gwi}}

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

I love the choices you've made so far, although I'm not sure about a moosehead on the wall (well, maybe the paper mache one) :-) A designer friend of mine does have a beautiful, elegant home and she has antlers and a deerhead on the wall, though.

I'm in the same boat - I like more feminine decor and my DH prefers a manly and rustic style. He would LOVE a log cabin with mooseheads on the wall and I would love a house full of ivory linen slipcovered furniture, crystal chandeliers and shabby chic painted furniture - but we've compromised and I think it's all working together.

I have slipcovered chairs in the dining room, my Hubbardton Forge iron and blown glass chandeliers, wide-planked pine floors, and my English antique pine furniture. We also have an antler chandelier in the great room and a big rustic dining table but those were my choices. He has his western photographs framed in barnwood throughout the house, leather furniture, and ledgerock fireplace, etc., all of which I love.

We just finished construction so my house isn't fully furnished or decorated yet, but here are a few photos of what I have so far.

• blondie859111
    Original Author
    13 years ago

lav, unfortunately the thomasville sofa is out of my budget! love the velevt set though!
    judd, i love, love, love what you are doing! so good to see someone else in the same boat!
    thank you

• kristinekr
    13 years ago

I knew the thomasville was pricey--but now that you have an idea in mind, I am sure you can find a cheaper knockoff.

Judd, I love your space!

• loribee
    13 years ago

Juddgirl, how beautiful!

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

How can you live in Maine and not love moose heads?! I really like your choices and can't wait to see more!

• Sujafr
    13 years ago

I really like the elements you've picked out and have to also agree with others about using the L-shape layout and putting the TV on the back of the kitchen wall. It looks like you have a door coming from outside into the LR --perhaps your front door? Based on that and the other doors/halls, I'd float a sofa out from the wall to provide a walkway from that door to the angled short wall. Then float another sofa or chairs out from the stone wall to allow a walkway there as well. Your room looks to be 24' x 18' so should provide ample room to do this and still have roomy seating area. If you place the TV on the stone wall, it may feel too far away from the seating and also be disjointed from the seating because of the walkway there. That way, when you walk into the room, you don't have to walk thru the main conversation area.

I second the idea of a low bench under the beautiful windows (would be additonal seating without blocking the view) and you could have another chair in that corner by the window. The unique table you have with the marble top looks like it might fit either as a sofa table behind the sofa or along one of those walls. That table though may be the trickiest to fit in with the other elements. I'd also consider using off white and black ticking striped pillows or cushions to go with the scripts fabric--love that fabric, too.

This will be a beautiful inviting space and it sounds like you and your DH have lots of love that will make it truly special. Look forward to seeing more of your creativity.

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

Does it have to be a real moose head? I've seen the animal heads that are (I assume) papier mache and painted all white -- they are sort of elegant in their own way. Have also seen wood ones. We have a very ridiculous large moose head that was made from papier mache and painted to look "real" -- I bought it as a joke on Ebay and now it hangs prominently in our family room and my family won't let me get rid of it. We decorate him for holidays, etc... recently we had a Halloween party and draped him with a sheet so he could be a ghost. But my point is I have a hard time picturing a real moose head combined with the more elegant items you pictured.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

The moosehead will be wonderful. With that rock wall, it will be perfect.

Living in eastern Washington (five miles from Idaho) moose heads are not that unusual. The leather and antler chandelier, will tie it all together. The other fabrics (especially some velvet) the lines you're choosing for the furniture, a little more carved detail (perhaps) on the wooden tables, (maybe a marble top, on an end table?) will all work with your rustic/romantic mix.

Blondie- You have great taste, so go for it :)

As for the sofa, check other furniture stores, but bring your picture. I'm sure there will be similar items that are much more affordable. Thomasville is not cheap, and Hemingway was their most expensive collection (probably still is).

• lyfia
    13 years ago

This isn't exactly like the Thomasville one, but I found it while looking at sofa's myself with a google shopping search and thought of this post. I'm guessing you'd be able to find something similar that would also fit your budget.

Your room sounds like it will be a good reflection of the both of you. Can't wait to see it finished.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sofa example

• blondie859111
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, I never thought to look at overstock! Thank you all for the great advice!
    Today I found out that the style of sofa I like is called Chesterfield. Can't find one yet in my price range, because I need two, but did have a wonderful find today! I found the coffee table and end tables I was searching for!
    The small local store I am purchasing all of my appliances in looked through every catalog they had and found it for me! I am thrilled!
    Back to the Chesterfield sofa, I wonder if it would be comfortable to stretch out on to nap? We're big on napping here.
    But the thing I did do today was sit on a catnapper motion sofa- looked like a coffin but wow-wow-wow- was it comfy!!

• blondie859111
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello all! I was able to go to the furniture site and actually make a model of the furniture choices- although the colors are not terrible accurate, no is the scale. There is one actual chair photo where I have captioned it is the actual fabric.
    Would you please tell me which sofa you prefer? Then I can pick 2 swivel chairs from there. Do have one swivel pictured, though. Have found wonderful accents!
    Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Living Room Progress

• kiki_redo
    13 years ago

If you like crystal and velvet, and he likes rustic and antlery - then you should request a Gorsuch catalog, or go online and look at their line of home furnishings. it's not so much that i think you'll love their home furnishings, but that when they take photos for the clothing and home goods in their catalog, the photo settings are always crystal/velvet/rustic/antlery or outside in the snow. you might pick up some ideas for ways to integrate your his/her style problem. it's kind of apres-ski stuff.

Here is a link that might be useful: gorsuch antler and velvet bench

• redecor8
    13 years ago

Oh, I do wish you'd list your sources on your website! You've found some lovely things that others might be able to use too. So you DON'T want Chesterfield sofas now? I prefer the more traditional sofa; it looks more expensive than the curved arm (and, FYI, I usually lean towards more contemporary/modern things).

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Great choices! I would definitely pick the flair arm sofa, since it goes so well with your swivel chair arms and all your curvy accents.

I think the setee, in front of the window is a wonderful idea.

Are you still using the moosehead, on the rock wall? How many sofas/chairs are you using? Do you have your floor plan finished, yet?

I love the tables and think they go very well with the dining furniture. Are you using any leather accents? Maybe a reading chair/ottoman for DH? I think it would look great with your velvet and accent fabric :)

• blondie859111
    Original Author
    13 years ago

kiki thank you for the link- I really enjoyed looking thru those pictures. Lots of tufted leather!
    redocor8 I just posted all ,y sources on the site.
    Lac, no idea yet. I do know I don't care for sectionals so not sure what to do! I thought once I narrow down a few pieces I can just as for help!
    Thank you!

• keithcast712
    12 years ago

If you are going to get a large antler chandelier don't forget to look at the dimensions of chandelier to make sure you can get it inside through a door or window! If it is too large to fit through the doorways or windows or sliding door then you may want to get a smaller chandelier!

Here is a link that might be useful: antler chandelier