SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Most secure way to hang a big coatrack?

At an antique mall I just bought a coatrack. It seems to have been once the top panel of a hall tree. It is quite hefty, solid oak, and 38" long, with 5 big cast iron hooks. I love the hooks!

I need to fasten this to the wall securely. Obviously I need to find the studs behind the drywall. There are no drill holes for hanging, as once it would have been part of a free standing unit. I hate to punch holes in an antique. Though obviously someone had no compunctions about cutting up a hall tree!

I thought of putting some hangers on the back that screw on and have a loop. This is the kind I have in mind:

http://www.baltimorehardware.com/moreinfo.cfm/product/565_64/318-mirror-hangerwire-loop

But, if it's hung on the wall and NOT screwed in, is this an accident waiting to happen? It will be used mostly for guest coats, as our hall closet is tiny and stuffed. I visualize someone lifting their coat off the hook, and accidentally lifting the rack off the screws. Though I could wrap some wire around the loop and screw for added security, assuming I could get a pliers behind it to do that.

Are there any other alternatives? Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (15)