SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snowyshasta

Dining room table - advice on material/finish

snowyshasta
15 years ago

We're looking to buy a dining room table. DH really wants it to be square, which has limited our choices (there don't seem to be many out there, especially normal height rather than counter height). So we have pretty much settled on getting one custom made, which means we need to choose a wood and a finish/stain.

The problem is that we are design challenged, I have a hard time knowing what looks good together. Any help is much appreciated.

We're in the midst of a remodel, but I have a couple pictures of the surrounding area and furniture from before we started. Here's looking into the dining room, and then a closeup of the china cabinet area.

The piano is staying, almost certainly in that same location, so it will be near the table. And the china cabinet is staying. The paint color on the top half of the wall (red) will be the same, the bottom half (white now) will change slightly to a beige (SW Kilim Beige). Everything else in the room (table, chairs, chandelier, wall items) will change.

So any advice on the table? The china cabinet is oak; I know oak is very out right now but I don't mind it. We had thought of doing an oak table, but the furniture store we stopped at today suggested it would like nice to mix woods and finishes/stain, since we are unlikely to get an exact match anyway. They suggested birch, possibly slightly darker than the china cabinet. Would that look good? Would the 3 different colors (china cabinet, table, piano) be too much? That's sort of what we had, a medium dark table, but I was never sure whether it all looked good together.

Comments (7)