SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnwomanbc

Need advice, please - replacing gallery/stair balusters

mtnwomanbc
16 years ago

Hi - I'm new here to this particular forum, but thought this would be the place to get advice and ideas.

My house is a late 70's contemporary in the SF bay area mountains. The interior stairs and second story gallery balusters are plain brown, painted, as are the beams throughout the house. I will not be changing the color of the beams or the 4x4 stair/gallery supports (as they tie in together), but I thought changing out the balusters and their bottom rails would lighten up the greatroom (our main room with kitchen, dining (below the gallery), and living room. So, it's advice on the balusters I'm looking for here.

My style is mountain/traditional with a mix of antiques, mission style, etc. Kitchen will be renovated soon (planning is almost done) with revised layout, new cabinets, counters, etc. Cabinets will be light stained with brown glaze to tie in with the brown beams, etc. I've been stalled because the gallery above it has been bothering me. Switching out the balusters would be a somewhat affordable way to update the gallery/stairs.

I'm thinking a wrought iron, simple twisted style: http://www.stairwarehouse.com/552.html

but without the bird cages (dust catchers!)

I could continue iron theme with the cabinet hardware. I have other wrought iron touches in a living room chandelier, black iron gas hearth, and hardware on the furniture, so black is already an element. But would this style look too spindle-y?

Any other ideas?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Pardon my less than stellar photo staging! :-)

Comments (3)