SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peachmarie_gw

Decorating with gray walls

peachmarie
9 years ago

We are in the final stages of renovating our kitchen, powder room, dining room, and family room. We chose (on the advice of our designer) to go with variations of gray in all the rooms - some darker than others. Our kitchen and dining room (open floor plan) are Benjamin Moore Stonington Gray, and the family room is Timberwolf. Our powder room has a little more tan in the gray, called Edgecomb Gray.

We have white trim, and Jacobean wood floors throughout. Our kitchen has white shaker cabinets, a Pietra perimeter counter, a Carrara island top, and the backsplash are 1x2 Calacatta Gold tiles. We have stainless steel appliances.

Here's my dilemma: Prior to this cool, clean look, everything was full of color. My family room was earthy browns, golds and reds. The dining room (before taking down a wall) used to be a living room and it was greens, blues, and had an eggplant couch (it worked!! Really!). The kitchen was sunny and yellow with lots of vibrant colors.

My paintings, pillows, and various decor all go with these color themes. Additionally, my sectional in the family room is chocolate brown leather and we've an got espresso colored wood entertainment center. Those two items still work well in the family room.

So where do I go now? I have a buffet and hutch that was in my kitchen that I now need to either say goodbye to or put in my basement because it's a sea foam green that just does not work any longer. I really still want color!! I want to warm and cheer it up. It's going to be gorgeous, but I have no idea how to decorate with this palette other than more gray and white and black. I really need to warm things up. I'm left wondering what I was thinking when we went along with the gray. Gorgeous, but not practical with our current decor.

Ideas, please!!! Thanks so much!!

Comments (15)