SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Help! Need new WTs in the MBR!

Valerie Noronha
10 years ago

I need some advice on my bedroom WTs. I purchased the below WTs from JC Pennys about 4 years ago.

They seemed to be the best option at that time for the value as I did not want to go custom. Overall I've been happy with the look, other than they were not room darkening and so I needed to add a blackout liner. However, I've been having problems for the past year with the outer rod as the rings did not glide smoothly and now the curtains have become damaged. So, now it's time to redo it all. Again I am hoping to avoid going custom - at same time want to address some of the problems I had before.

On to the specifics:

Sheers are kept closed at all times for privacy - open infrequently to access the patio door. Would like to switch color to an ivory/cream voile (maybe crinkle).

Outer drapes are opened and closed daily and must be room darkening/thermal. Would like new drapes to be of similar color, but am open to different top treatments (grommet, backtab or rings if they work well). It should look nice both open and closed without a lot of fuss.

Wall dimensions are roughly, 12'W x 8'H, slider is 8' wide

Depending on the top treatment I may opt for the 95"H curtains this time. I figure I'll need about 3 panels per side; I'm leaning towards a grommet top as the most practical choice, though I like the look of backtabs, then it seems I'd either need to go custom or get the panels sewed together which I'd like to avoid if possible.

The rod is the one area where I could really use some advice as that is what led to my problems before. I could either do a double rod but am concerned that it'd have to be telescoping and the WTs (grommets, rings, etc.) would get caught on the telescoping part. I'd prefer a fixed rod. Can anyone recommend where I could get a 10' wide rod? Are wooden rods a good choice for WTs that open and close daily? Would it be possible to avoid a center support at this width? If I do need a center support then what type of WTs can I get so that they fully close in the center?

Based on the above does this sound like something I can be happy with ready made from JC Penny or should I be looking at some sort of custom shop (like a local draper, online or ??)

I am considering these WTs by JC Penny's if I can figure out a rod to use without a center support.

Here is a link that might be useful: WTs from JC Pennys

Comments (18)