SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
la_koala

Any proportion 'rules-of-thumb' about cabinet/ceiling crown?

la_koala
13 years ago

Hi,

I hope this is not bad etiquette: I posted the similar question in the Kitchens forum, but it has scrolled far off the radar and I think the Home Decorating forum folks have more of a sensitivity to this sort of thing.

Are there any aesthetic/proportion rules-of-thumb about matching dimensions/heights/etc of the cabinet crown molding and the ceiling crown molding?

Neither my spouse nor I have an instinct for this sort of thing, and we hate to make a mistake we'll have to live with for a long time.

Here are the kitchen details:

- 8 foot 10 inch ceilings in the kitchen

- Having 39 inch wall cabinets, so that takes it up to 93 inches (= 36 lowers + 18 inch lower to upper gap + 39)

- Lets say 3 inch molding on the tops of the cabinets (I can't tell what's precisely in the KD's drawing, but as we didn't want a heavy top cab molding, I think she put in 3 inches).

- Open space above the cabinets (my choice). With the measurements, this stands at 10 inches (the ceiling height minus the 96 inches = 93 cabs plus 3 inches cab crown).

We want a crown molding at the ceiling itself because this is an older home and all of the other ceilings have one. I think the one in the other rooms is 3 inches (diagonal measurement).

What do you think? Is there a way we can go about figuring out what might look right in advance of actually having the cabinets installed?

I'm assuming it'll be easier to put on the ceiling crown molding before installing the cabinets, so I'd like to not have to wait until the cabinets are in to figure out the right path.

Thanks in advance!

Comment (1)