SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
esme29

Dark master bedroom and liked it?

Esme29
15 years ago

I've been reading this forum for several years and have decided to stop lurking because I really need help. We're doing some upgrading to the master bedroom (crown molding, recessed lighting) and have hardwood floors. I want the feeling of good, classic architecture. But my furniture preferences are different. Contemporary leather sleigh bed, contemporary/midcentury nightstands in bamboo, and contemporary media stand and chair and ottoman. I have a few Japanese prints I'd like to use and find they really look good against BM 1047 (deer path) or 2162-40 (peanut shell) but I'm afraid to commit. I'm pretty flexible on bedding - I figure if I get the background right, everything else will be easy. The room is large so it can take a lot of color. I painted the last 2 times (BM 1037 and something akin to restoration hardware silver sage) but those colors are too whimpy for the furniture and since this time I'm paying for the paint job, DH won't be too pleased if I change my mind soon afterwards. Have you used a dark color and really loved the results, any suggestions? Thank you.

Comments (25)

• arleneb
    15 years ago

In the master bedroom of my last house, I used a deep blue, with painted white woodwork. I loved it. The colors in the rest of the floor were yellows, reds, blues -- lots of windows, very light and bright. The bedroom was in the North corner of the house, and coming into it felt like going from all that brightness into a cozy, cool, quiet place. I plan to use the exact paint in the new house. If you're interested in blues, let me know and I'll look up the color.

Arlene

• paint_chips
    15 years ago

I also have had a dark bedroom and loved it! Mine was a dark dark blue with a golden color ceiling.

What is most appealing about a dark bedroom is how wonderful it looks at night.

• Related Discussions

Paint for a small dark 'master' bedroom

Q

Comments (7)
    I tend to agree with palimpsest. I had the same problem -- a master that gets almost no natural light. I tried several yellows/golds in there in an attempt to brighten the space but never found one that worked well in artificial lighting. I ended up going the opposite direction: my walls are a pale taupe (BM Natural Linen) and I've decorated in pale blue and cream. I'm normally a "warm color" person, and most of my home is painted in autumnal golds, olives and rusts. But I find my master very soothing and relaxing. This is all a long way of saying that I wouldn't try to fight artificial lighting (as I was doing) and find something that looks good in it. Then get yourself lots of lamps! :)
    ...See More

A fine line: How to create a cozy but not dark master bedroom.

Q

Comments (6)
    I can't help you with paint colors, but I can tell you that white bedding is actually rather nice when you share your bed with animals and babies as long as you buy a sturdy 100% cotton that you can bleach and wash in hot water. I wouldn't recommend down-filled items or fabrics that are not washable.
    ...See More

Dark, small master bedroom.

Q

Comments (12)
    Any ideas for warm wall colors that aren't yellow? Maybe in the warm white family? I prefer to keep my bedding dark as I have 2 black cats and 2 messy boys. The hallway just outside the bedroom will be Gray Owl. I have been looking at Palladian Blue but many online sources are warning me away from cool colors. This bedroom gets mainly northern light and I am located in MN.
    ...See More

Best Dark Greige Paint Color for Master Bedroom

Q

Comments (2)
    Try B.M Chelsea Gray. Be careful when you say “greige” because often, there is a lot of green undertone…as in Revere Pewter.
    ...See More
  • neetsiepie
    15 years ago

Our bedroom isn't really dark, but the colors are deep and saturated. The ceiling is antique, metallic gold, and one wall of builtins/closet doors is a deep raspberry color. The main color is wasabi green, it's definitely not sedate, but we absolutely love it.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Love my Midnight Navy Blue bedroom too. Mine is all dark to showcase my seascape and wave art. I breath deep the minute I enter my room, like diving under the ocean to peace and calm. Never get tired of it because I can rotate my art around for fresh focal points. The overall dark creates infinity, like the endless midnight sky. I Profoundly LOVE my santuary!

• igloochic
    15 years ago

My husband was just saying last night (or first in our house since the remodel) how much he loves the richness of our master bedroom. The walls are in gold and bronze (I had an artist do them...it's sort of a leather look). I don't have all of our bedding out, and the drapes aren't hung but I can see it finished...with bronze silk (shot with tiny black stripes) curtains trimmed with a rich taupe and brown fringe, and our bedding which is all done in rich chocolate brown accented with gold in many tones from light to dark.

I've had bright blue, lavender, green, yellow, white...gad all kinds of light bedrooms, and this rich dark color is a dream...really elegant and fabulous. It completely compliments the antique lighting and is softened with light features like our onyx counter behind the bed.

I'm raving LOL But the artist who did our rich dark walls. I adore him now LOL I will never go to the light side again!!!

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

I am not famliar with the colors you mentioned....but Go for it!!

I love a dark room with lots of lamps in the evening - which is when we are mostly in the bedrooms. I even like it with some shine on the walls kinda reflecting the light. But only if the drywall is in good condition.

Smiles:)

• callaloo
    15 years ago

My MBR has no choice but to be dark. I have north-facing windows (and they are at one end of the 25-foot-long space) and a heavily wooded lot, so the only real light comes from artificial sources.

Given that as background, I was inspired by shopping at an oriental rug store I love; the shop was a series of rooms, each with a different color scheme. I walked into one room which was painted in a rich curry/mustard yellow, and it felt like a warm, cozy, haven -- slightly exotic (Morroccan? Indian?).

That deep yellow was the answer for my bedroom, which also has dark hardwood floors, dark wood furniture, richly colored bedding, and bronzy silk drapes. When I come into my bedroom, I want to burrow into the bedding and go to sleep. Of course, that makes it hard to get up in the morning, but it's never easy to do that!

• mistybear11
    15 years ago

All my rooms are dark once again. Even though I just repainted the master bedroom from black with a fine gold stripe, it is now a smoky eggplant. I like the richness in paint, plus I have all pine trim and oak furniture. I lived with lighter paint for a couple of years but I always go back to dark. I get a fair bit of light in the rooms but it doesn't much matter at night whether you have light or dark, that is why we have different lighting.

I will say this that when the bedroom was painted black and then a 7/8" gold stripe every 7", it was amazing how much light was reflected into the room. I never noticed this until I repainted with another dark colour and omitted the stripe.

• annzgw
    15 years ago

Commit! I have a color very similar to BM deer path but mine is Devine's Shade. I also have some asian accents in my bedroom and find the color works well with all of them.
    When I first put the sample up I wasn't too sure it would look right. After I got a whole wall done I fell in love with it! It looks a little darker in the winter and with lower light, but it still has a nice warmth to it.

Here are a 2 views of mine.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• cathy1955
    15 years ago

I painted the MB with BM's Raspberry Truffle three years ago and still love it. I think any dark bedroom is dramatic yet cosy. Leave the light rooms for the public areas of your home. Happy painting!

• User
    15 years ago

igloo - Your bedroom sounds gorgeous! Would you please post a pic!?

• bluemoon2
    15 years ago

I've had a dark MBR for 5 months and am ready to change it because our mahogany furniture blends into the walls too much. I'm thinking of getting a medium green, maybe BM October Mist. However I do like dark walls with lighter furniture.

• shellfish
    15 years ago

I have Gingersnap in our bedroom which is north facing on a heavily wooded lot and I love it! Gingersnap (BM 1131) is very close to Peanut Shell, it may even be a bit darker.

It looks a bit more gold in this color-it is truly the color of a Gingersnap-we have changed a few things since I've taken these...new rug under chairs and a better lamp...as you can see, my bedroom is still not done...a work in progress!

My advice is to go for the color-you can always paint again, but I think you will be pleasantly surprised! Post pix when done!

• Sueb20
    15 years ago

Our bedroom was a creamy off-white for a long time -- the only "white" room in my house -- but I had to decide on a color quickly at the end of a major renovation, so I played it safe. About 6 mos. ago I finally painted it a medium blue-gray and I love it. It feels so much more cozy and warm. I agree with the others -- go for it! You can always lighten/brighten the room w/ your choice of bedding and/or window treatments if you feel that you need to.

• Esme29
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone for the encouragement. Shellfish and Annz, your rooms are gorgeous and the colors and moldings are very similar to mine. I really like the similarity in tone for draperies and wall color in Annz room. The golden tones give a glow to both rooms. Although I'm leaning to warmer colors, I am intrigued about those who used cooler hues. Intellectually I know you love them and the room is beautiful, but did you ever feel as if the color, especially dark blue, was rather hard edged? I'll post pictures if I can every figure out how to use the camera and download the pictures.

• ttodd
    15 years ago

I've tried multiple times to have a dark bedroom and while I always thought that it looked really nice I also ended up always feeling heavy, weighted down and ultimately depressed. I must also say that I am very sure that those feelings are closely tied to the fact that our MBR is VERY small at 12'X13' w/ a king sized bed & I HATE where our house is located and so desperately want out that it depresses me as time marches on & our dreams of selling get pushed further and further down the road.

I'm sure that if we had a larger rm. I'd paint it darker in a heartbeat!

The pics of the bedrooms in this thread are very pretty & I'm sure that sweet, sweet dog wants me to hug him!

• bonniee818
    15 years ago

I painted mine darker this summer moving from Ivorie to Mannered Gold on the SW paint strip. We love it. It made the furniture look so much better with the darker paint job. Good luck with yours! We would love to see when you finish.........Bonnie Here is mine if you wanna peek.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bedroom in Mannered gold

• kgsd
    15 years ago

Our last master bedroom was a dark cranberry color. It was a large room and I think the dark walls made it feel cozy. We did have a lot of light coming in through the windows, as well as light-colored carpet and bedding.

• supertt
    15 years ago

Please check below website, has a lot of fashion duvet covers and digital canvas.
    http://www.vestaconceptshop.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Vesta Concept Store

• sandra12
    15 years ago

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• parma42
    15 years ago

We did our last master bedroom in a dark rust color in Ralph Lauren suede. DH and I just loved it and got many positive comments. This time I wimped out and am unhappy with the lighter color.

Go for it.

• Sueb20
    15 years ago

Here is a pic of my blue room, not that dark and yes, it's blue, but somehow it feels warm to me. (Most of our furniture is med. cherry, not black -- we just have this one black chest.) The color is actually a bit deeper/darker IRL.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Sheesharee...I'll post a couple of photo's....but you MUST remember we just JUST moved in and still have some construcion going on so it's not decorated and it's a mess! I'm just doing this to show wall finish. When it's really done I'll post pics that look pretty LOL

The high chair is up here because we're trapped in the master suite while they finish the downstairs and the kitchen (I like to keep the puppy and DS away from saws and nail gus LOL...mostly to protect the contractors). Baskets of laundry and all the other mess goes as well! And the bedding is going to be in rich deep browns and gold (verses the white you see in the corner of this picture...I haven't unpacked the other stuff). Oh and that tv will be hung to hide the cable box.

I do love the colors the artist did on our walls and can't wait to see it with the bronze silk drapes and the onyx finished (I have to back lite it and it gets a very small back splash of 3/4" to hide the seams against the walls of our headboard cabinet).

The walls are actually in metalics, which are hard to photograph! So picture the pictures above with a gold glow LOL And the counter in the first pic is the back of our bed. It's missing it's doors (it's long term storage) but basically it allows me to put the bed in the bay window and was a great excuse to buy some onyx which I adore!
    Our master closet walls are a similar color, but without the leather texture. All of the cabinets in there are a rich walnut, so it's dark as well :) I've happily embraced the dark side!

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

Our bedroom is a work in progress, but we have a medium-toned blue room. It feels calm and cozy to us.