SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
babs711_gw

Living Room suggestions/help please? (pics included)

babs711
15 years ago

I repainted my living room from SW Macadamia to BM Whispering Spring. I was tired of brown and wanted to lighten/freshen things up. I had already repainted the dining room from BM Moroccan Red to BM Spring Rain last month.

Eventually we want to have the beadedboard put on the ceiling and change out the lamps. I'm also going to have some white or pale ivory slip covers made for the red chairs...not sure about the sofa yet. What do you think?

So my MAIN issue is that the warm rug sticks out like a sore thumb now. I need a cooler rug. But I'm not sure what to go with. I'd love suggestions. I'm aiming for a coastal/traditional...but mostly coastal feel for the room. I also have two kids (aged 3 and 7) so I want it to feel nice and yet not be too hard to clean if something gets on it.

I'd also love some lamp suggestions. Would a dark base or a light base work better?

The striped chair photographs very warm (I think due to the warm rug and the floors. It has a blue stripe in it and some other colors as well.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on arranging the furniture any differently, feel free to suggest. The only floor outlet we have is where the striped chair is. My husband wants the brown chair (I SWEAR it's not splotchy in real life...it's the flash (I know I repeat that below!!)) to stay in front of the TV which is why we don't have the sofa there anymore. :(

The blue isn't as baby as it's coming out in these pics. It's a nice seafoamy blue in person. Also, excuse the paint trash that I hadn't had a chance to clean up before I took the photos. :)

Entrance (casual dining wall is on the right...excuse paint debris on left (living room) and right (in the kitchen). :) ):

Looking to the left of the front door:

Slowly moving across the room(the brown chair is NOT this splotchy in real life...the flash does that!!!):

Is there ANYTHING I can do on this blank awkward wall? The a/c return is there along with the thermostat and a light switch. Would putting something there draw more attention to those things? Is leaving it blank the best thing? The front door is to the right and to the left by the kitchen is a hallway, so that's a pathway:

View from kitchen to playroom. Is there room for a sofa table or should I move what's below the round mirror to behind the sofa and put something else below the mirror? Suggestions??

Dining views. I'll be getting white or black and white chandelier shades instead of the beige ones:

w/ a view of the chalkboard wall on the side of the kitchen pantry on the right...excuse the huge pile of painting, etc. debris!!

I know there were a lot of questions in here. But I want everything to be nice and inviting and I'm kind of in limbo right now. I know the kind of look I want and am getting there but need your help!

Comments (29)

• debbiemarie
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My first thought is that everything is so light, that maybe a dark chocolate rug would help pull the colors of the entertainment center and some of your other pieces together. I also think some beautful crown molding would help frame it all. The mirror on your short wall is nice, but maybe a large rectangular mirror in a frame color that matches your entertainment center would work.

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

Babs, you have so many questions that my head is spinning! First off, your living room is beautiful. I love the colors you have in there. Are the drapes staying? I like them and they tie into the red chairs wonderfully. I think adding white slipcovers would give the room too much of a light look, IMHO. I like the chair the color they are, They help ground the room, now that your walls are the light blue. I think the large leather chair overwhelms the one next to it. That one is too small for that area. I'd also suggest a black lamp that's more substantial than the one you have now on the table next to it. You need to bring in more black to tie in the black EC. Ditto with the lamp between the two red chairs. I have more ideas but DH just called and will be home for dinner in 20 minutes :~O I'll be back tomorrow.
    Lynn

• Related Discussions

Help me update a traditional living room (Pic included)

Q

Comments (2)
    I should also mention that while I'd prefer not to replace the couch right away, it will be replaced within the next two years with the Barrymore Bel Air sofa in a light neutral (ivory). Here is a link that might be useful: Barrymore Bel Air Sofa
    ...See More

What do I put in this space?! Suggestions please? Pic included.

Q

Comments (13)
    The one thing I wish we had was a 'mail' area. I cannot stand having 'non-food' and 'non-eating' items in our new kitchen area. Things like mail, bills ready to be paid, keys, lunchboxes, pens, the newspaper etc. drive me nuts when somebody leaves them on the countertop. If we had a desktop closer to the door, all that 'stuff' would have an official home. From the picture, a full size cabinet would require you to move the plug (which is a PITA if you don't like drywall work). The height of a desktop would be lower than regular cabinet height so you wouldn't have to move it. The buffet idea works too because the height would not have to match your existing counter. If it was a 'floating' top, you'd have room underneath for slippers,a folding stepstool, umbrella stand, or bins to put stuff into.
    ...See More

Please help with paint color suggestions! Pics included!

Q

Comments (11)
    saypoint, I was thinking about painting the walls some neutral shade but I am not completely set on that. I am open to trying out some bright color. I was thinking about BM Silver Fox or Revere Pewter both of which are very popular on this forum. My home has an open floor plan and I can't find other colors which I can use in the adjoining spaces with these colors. Regarding the curtains you see in the photo's, they are the old curtains which the previous owners left behind. My new curtains are in the fabric sample that I have in one of the photo's and they are grommet top which will go up on curtain rods. Unfortunately I already have them made (though I do agree that they are more classic looking than modern) but have spent a fortune on them already and don't have the budget to change them at this moment. The new curtains will go up after the paint is done. Also, the new curtains will go on much higher almost under the crown molding. sloyd, I think hillside green looks pretty. Will run it by DH tonight. Thank you both for your helpful suggestions.
    ...See More

Please help....(pics of my living room)

Q

Comments (5)
    Chamilla, the coffee table would pivot with the couch. I would keep the orientation to each other the same. Is it possible with the room shape and entrances? The pictures don't show the other parts, so it's hard for me to judge. I think I'm trying to get the tv away from the big window so that when you look in you don't see it. I must have a "thing" about that :) If moving the furniture isn't something you want to do, I would definitely find something longer for the tv. I may be messing you up because I don't orient ALL of my seating toward the television. I have one or two chairs whose placement is for the ease of conversation. Not every seat needs to point to the tv, since we only use 1 or 2 pieces of furniture when we are alone. As for a rug, I'm guessing that you like contempory more than traditional? I happen to like pairing the two, but a lot of people aren't comfortable with it. Here is a link that shows you some samples. Which one draws you immediately, regardless of how you think it will look in your room? First you want to get a general idea of what you like, then narrow it from there with colors and specific design. A rug is an investment, so you don't want to rush into a purchase. Sujafr has a point about using a solid. That would be easier and you can pick that color after you get the rug. Your choice is to blend or use an accent color. What are you using in your living room for your accent, now? The blue in the glass piece in the cabinet? The yellow in the sofa pillow? Or the green in the planter and keystone? Here is a link that might be useful: A small selection
    ...See More
  • babs711
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm thinking I should have taken the pics without a flash. In real life the walls aren't quite as white-blue looking. They're a soft blue but a bit darker than in those pics and not as washed out looking now that I've viewed them on two computer monitors.

I'm sorry I have so many questions!

My main ones...

1)the rug
    2)the blank wall with the a/c return
    3)console behind the sofa

4)Should I try switching the brown chair with the striped chair to get all the darker colors away from each other? The problem is that then the recliner is near the sofa and then opens up by the coffee table which blocks that flow of traffic when DH is sitting in it.

Lynninnewmexico, I think it's going to depend on how the new rug works (whatever I end up going with) as to what I do with slipcovering the furniture. I may keep the chairs red. I think they look nice with the curtains, throw pillows and artwork colors. Do you think having JUST the recliner there and taking away the striped chair would work? Where to then put the striped chair? I agree about the lamps. We've had these PB lamps for 10 years and it's time for new ones. Thanks!

• babs711
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, I forgot to address the molding. We didn't put it up b/c we're planning on doing the beadedboard ceilings and didn't want to have the trouble of taking it down to do them. But eventually we'll have both!

• Pieonear
    15 years ago

Babs, I really like your shades. Are they camel colored?

I would move the striped chair somewhere else and then angle the leather chair, table and lamp.

Your front door is just beautiful!

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Regarding your black wall.........Would putting one of those leaning ladder, open back bookcases there work? They don't take up much floor space. You could put a pic or vase on the shelf to conceal the thermostat behind it. The cold air return would not look so obvious behind it and it would not block the air with the open back. Maybe put a couple books to the left on the lower shelf to help divert the eye from the vent.

Here is a link that might be useful: leaning ladder bookcase

• alex9179
    15 years ago

I like Dilly Dally's suggestion. It lets the air flow stay unimpeded, but kind of disguises all of those essentials.

Honestly, I like the rug. Warm and cool colors CAN play well together. Your rug is pale enough that it doesn't steal the show from your coastal vibe. Also, you still have warm tones in your furniture, so the rug helps marry them. Even if you decide to slipcover everything in white, I think the rug will keep everything from feeling a little too chilly.

You do have room for something behind the sofa. I would probably go with something a little heavier than a console table. A long dresser or buffet would work, and give you storage.

Have you tried another furniture arrangement? If I were you I would try the rug going the other direction...long side by the entertainment center. Couch facing TV and the leather chair at an angle (toward tv for dh) a turn from the couch. Does he still have a good view? I would then bring the two matching chairs into the grouping so that it's cozier. The current placement is unfortunately unbalanced due to those two chairs at the "head of the table" so to speak.

• babs711
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mammie, do you mean the ones in the back of the house on the doors or the striped ones? The ones with the stripes are a pale ivory. The ones in the back are natural bamboo-type roman shades. Thank you!

dilly_dally, I really can't lean anything b/c (a) people walk right past that all the time going from the front door and/or around DH's chair to the kitchen. It would be in the way and just awkward...an obstacle and (b) because of that, I'd think the kids would be bumping into it and knocking things down. I wish it would work but if you look at that first picture of the blank wall (right underneath the paragraph where I'm asking the questions about it), you can see the tile inset of the front door and how it's centered in front of that entry and basically in front of that a/c wall. So people would have to walk around that obstacle. It's fine as is but anything else sticking out wouldn't be good. I like the idea if that wall was set in further.

alex9179, I think the contrast is greater in person. It has NO blue in it at all and is more traditional than what I want. It's just too brown. I like the idea of a piece with storage behind the sofa! I'm all for more storage.

We did have the sofa in front of the TV but couldn't angle the chair since the sofa is so long. The chair would have to go to the side instead. Also, would we just put nothing by the windows if we brought everything inward? I feel so lost! LOL!

• Pieonear
    15 years ago

Yes, the roman shades. I really like them.

• babs711
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bumping. It seems like a lot of suggestions threads get tons of responses but for some reason mine get overlooked a lot. Am I asking for too many ideas at once? Is my room that horrible? *ducks*

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

I have an awkward air-return, light switch wall in my dining room. Ours is even more awkward than yours, as our air return is right at eye level. It's lovely. :p I painted the air return to blend in with the wall, and left it at that. I'm also planning to paint my switchplates so that they disappear as well. I've thought about putting a small table against that wall with something decorative sitting on it, but I haven't found the right piece yet. When we were looking at the house before we bought, I noticed that the POs hung a small framed photo above the air return on our wall. It looked strange and drew attention to the air return, which is the reason it remains blank today.

One other thing on blank areas on the wall: eyes need a place to rest. It's not necessarily a bad thing to have occasional blank walls. That said, our house is a 1964 split level, so less is more (no beadboard for us) in my decorating, and I'm still getting used to editing furnishings and accessories to allow the charm of the house to take center stage. It's not easy for a packrat to live a mid-century lifestyle, LOL.

• frazoo
    15 years ago

What if you get a bigger rug, leave the oouch where it is, leave DH's chair where it is and put a bulkier table or chest next to it, lose the striped chair (put it in another room), and pull the 2 red chairs forward so they're resting on the rug? Then take the chest that's by the front door and put it under the window where the 2 red chairs are now.

I would rather have my DH centered in front of the TV with me and the kids than to have a separate "man cave" for him, so I'd let him have his chair right where it is now.

Will your console fit along that blank wall? If so, you could get a tall arrangement to help hide the controls. Or, taking the leaning ladder idea, have someone build you a narrow shelf anchored to the wall that simulates the ladder look or has staggered shelving.

You'll be surprised how a family can adapt to walking slightly around things. They (we) don't need a straight pathway to get from one area to another.

Love your house and colors. Oh, spread some of the colors from your curtains around a bit more :-)

• babs711
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Interesting ideas frazoo! Very interesting things to think about! Oh, I plan to spread those colors around. It takes some time though!

So does anyone have any rug suggestions for me??? I'd love some examples!

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

"I would rather have my DH centered in front of the TV with me and the kids than to have a separate "man cave" for him, so I'd let him have his chair right where it is now."

For years, my DH (a computer nut) had been hidden away in a man-cave office in our previous homes. With our new home, we've turned the family room into a computer/game den so that everyone is out in the open. I see him much more now, even if he is still essentially stuffed and mounted in front of the computer. :)

• frazoo
    15 years ago

Glad I could give you ideas to think about, Babs711. I don't know anything about rugs so I can't help you with examples.

Sarschlos_remodeler: I'm cracking up at your description of your DH...."stuffed and mounted in front of the computer"....or TV! That's soooo funny! I'll be using that line now...LOL...LOL!!

• babs711
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So I rearranged a bit. I turned the rug sideways, moved the striped chair below the pic beside the TV unit, moved the red chairs inward, slid DH's chair and table toward the sofa a bit and put the magazine basket under the table to try to hide the darned eyesore of a floor outlet.

But then I ran into a PROBLEM....the table between the two chairs with the lamp on it. There's no floor outlet on that side...only the wall outlet that's behind that right window panel. SOOOOO, if I move the table to between the two chairs, how will I plug the lamp in other than having people trip over a cord behind that right chair or plugging it in under the table by DH's chair and running an ext. cord under the rug?

For now, I moved our leopard magazine basket between the two chairs and just left the table/lamp where it was but I don't know how it works there. So now that's my issue. Of course I'm assuming the red chairs work in this new position. What to do?

New arrangement. Thoughts?

• frazoo
    15 years ago

I like the new arrangement, Babs. I think having the lamp and table behind the chairs is okay and it looks good, too. I like the striped chair against the wall by the EC. Maybe you could put a throw on it??
    I hope others will chime in and tweak it some more for you. Did you come up with any ideas for the blank wall?

• babs711
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I really don't know why no one else is chiming in. I'm stumped. I thought for sure I'd get some more suggestions. I'm kind of torn as to why I'm not getting helpful suggestions from the longtime members here. In the past I have. ??

No - no ideas for the blank wall yet. I'm looking at some of the ladder shelves but am not sold on that idea yet.

BUT, I did move the round end table in between the two red chairs and it works. But now there's nothing below the window. I think putting something there will make the room too crowded though. I may just leave it open for now. Running the cord down the inside of the table leg and right under the rug over to the other outlet actually works!

• k9arlene
    15 years ago

What if you were to move the sofa facing the tv, keep the red chairs where they are and move the leather chair where the sofa is. You would be able to plug everything in if you put the electrical cords running under the carpet, under the sofa and into the outlet.

• k9arlene
    15 years ago

As far as the blank wall goes, maybe you could find a cute, decorative wall cabinet, cut out the back, mount it to the wall and to turn on the lights and regulate the thermostat you'd just have to open the doors to the cabinet.

• babs711
    Original Author
    15 years ago

k9arlene, that's a thought...something I never thought of for the blank wall! Regarding moving the sofa, in my original post, I had said that DH wants his chair somewhat facing the TV so I'm kind of stuck that way. We did, at one time have the sofa in front of the TV. It really opens up the room to the kitchen more to have the sofa how it is now and now that DH has experienced his chair in front of his TV like this, I don't think I can ever get him to agree to switch it back! LOL! But it would be a great idea.

• k9arlene
    15 years ago

OK, I don't really think you need a lamp on the table between the 2 red chairs. They're not reading chairs anyhow. If you were to get a very bright floor lamp to put in the corner where the plant is, that would shed enough light on that side of the room.

• k9arlene
    15 years ago

http://www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3026491&cp=1331604.1770209&view=all&parentPage=family

You could even stencil or do something decorative with the glass doors.

• User
    15 years ago

Babs,
    I just read this thread for the first time. The room is looking better and better! However, if your goal were to achieve a coastal cottage look, it would rule out many of your furnishings - the big leather easy chair, the black entertainment center, etc. It is really not about warm vs. cool. You can paint your walls cottage blue, but that will not transform your furnishings to be compatible with that theme. Perhaps you should consider enhancing the cozy, comfortable eclectic vibe you have going on in there unless you are committed replacing, refinishing and/or adding slipcovers. One major issue is the size of the rug. The others were correct in asking you to integrate the furniture with the rug, but that has diminished the space in the room because the rug is just too small. You want a new rug because you do not like the colors, but more importantly, you need a rug in the correct ratio for the floor space! Then you would be able to maximize that space and still have all of the furniture on the rug (or at least with the feet in it). I do not understand the color scheme - the curtains look as if there are orange and olive green stripes. Are you changing them? Am I the only one who is sorry that you are stuck with that leather chair in the LR? It belongs in a den or study so manly! It is the main limiting factor in changing the character of the room! Sorry. With all due respect, for your DHÂs comfort, would he consider a plush, comfortable, slipcovered easy chair with an ottoman?
    {{gwi:1844502}}
    With regard to the "blank" wall - I like the idea of the decorative wall cabinet with doors to hide the thermostat and switches, allowing for access through the back. Then a potted plant on the floor below could hide the air return. Another thought would be to find a narrow console with a shelf below so that you would be able to hide it with plants or baskets and then some artful arrangement on the top of the console would tone down the switch and thermostat. Obviously, this would rule out a sofa table.
    {{gwi:1844503}}

• babs711
    Original Author
    15 years ago

nlcf2, I think that's why I was going for more traditional/coastal. We've only had this chair since we redid our home after Hurricane Katrina. He LOVES it. Had I had more time to ponder what I wanted to do, I probably would have done different things, but we just wanted to get back home, you know? There's no way I could talk him into getting rid of his perfectly good, comfy, 2 1/2 year old chair. So, I'm settling for coastal/traditional. I will, eventually, slipcover the sofa and chairs in light fabric. But I've seen lots of coastal rooms with nice pops of color.

The curtains have bright colors actually. They may not have photographed well. The colors mimic the colors in the sofa throw pillows. No olive, but a bright green, orange, red, sunny yellow, blue, etc.

Regarding the rug. The current rug is 8x10. Do you suggest going out to 9x12? I'd thought about that but worried that the furniture would extend beyond comfortable TV viewing limits. The current rug is about 4-5" past the TV unit on either side. So I should go larger than that?

I'm curious about that table...where is it from? I like it.

Thanks SO much for your suggestions!!

• User
    15 years ago

Oh, dear! I thought you might like that console...and unfortunately it is no longer available, which is why I didn't send the link. It is the Bailey Console Table by Pottery Barn. It's a great look and I am sure that you can find something similar. Take a look at the Layla Grayce link below. Their inventory is a bit pricey, but the furniture and rugs on the site are wonderful and may provide some inspiration.

RE: the rug size
    As a rule, choosing the correct size area rug depends on the dimensions of the room or space you are trying to cover. To determine what size rug will best suit your needs:
    1. Measure the size of your room.
    2. Measure the space you want covered.
    3. Now place a piece of paper where each of the corners will fall; adjust the "corners" as needed to make the space larger or smaller and then re-measure the area.
    Most people feel that room will look better proportioned if there is at least 18-24" of bare floor space around the area rug. Try to leave an equal amount of flooring exposed as a border on all sides. If that is not possible, try to ensure that the borders on parallel sides of the rug are equal. All legs of the furniture should be on the rug for a classic look, and at the very least, have the front legs of the furniture on the rug and the back legs off the rug (a more casual look).
    The reference below is helpful if you want to follow the 18" to 24" of bare floor showing around a room sized rug "rule of thumb".
    8' 0" x 10' 0"-Size Area Rug - for Room Size: 9' 6" x 11' 6" to 10' 0" x 12' 0" & larger
    9' 0" x 12' 0" -Size Area Rug - for Room Size: 10' 6" x 13' 6" to 11' 0" x 14' 0"" & larger
    10' 0" x 15' 0 -Size Area Rug - for Room Size: 11' 6" x 16' 6" to 12' 0" x 17' 0" & larger
    It is generally considered awkward for a heavily traffic area to be half rug, and half "no rug". You do not want one foot on a rug and one foot off as you are walking through an area constantly.

• mldao
    15 years ago

Hi babs,

I saw your post a few days ago but ran out of time to respond. The only thing I can think of as to why your're not getting more repsonses is that your post is a bit overwhelming.

I'm in kind of a similar situation with my kitchen and family room. I would love to transition grayish green paint color but the remainder of my house is brownish/gold/olive very warm colors.

Here's my shot at your questions:

Beadboard ceiling and white slipcovers are a definite yes! I have white slipcovered sofas in my FR and love them. I also incorporated a black/white check slipcovered english roll arm chair with black feet.

I'm not good with rugs that's why I have plain dark chocolate wool rug (looks good with any decor) in my FR. I can change my pillows and other accessories without having to worry about coordinating it to a specific rug. I think you have a lot going on in the room and a plain solid color sisal or seagrass rug would lend itself more to a coastal feel.

Can you post a close up picture of your EC and chair next to it? I hope you don't take this the wrong way but I'm a huge less is more person and I think your EC looks very busy. Are you open to removing the items on top of EC? What I love about coastal decor is how clean and uncluttered the rooms look.

I'd leave the air return wall blank at least until after you put up beadboard and slipcover your chairs.

I'd remove the table in front of the window it looks too crowded with the basket between the red chairs. I agree with you about changing out the lamps. I'd go with dark bases with white slipcovers. How about a small pillow in a similar color to your beautiful walls for the leather chair? A couple of throws with blues similar to your walls will also help bring the room together. I hope this helps and that I didn't offend you in any way. You have a lovely home and I can't wait to see your beadboard ceiling.

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

Hi! I am not a longtime member but I'll give my thoughts.

1. A/c return - switch wall - ----what about looking for 2 older crusty shutters mounted on that wall. The shutters would still allow the air to circulate & you could put them on hinges to adjust the thermostat.

2. I like your rug -= it looks like the colors would work in my LR. Let me know if you want to sale it:) But really if you slipcovered you 2 chairs in cream or even brown - it would work with the ideas below...

3. It seems like you are trying to take a very large living space & center it all around the TV. Look at rooms that the drool worthy designers do - they divide the larger rooms into smaller sections for different activities.

4. Going along the lines of #3 - what if you slid the ET towards the windows with the drapes & work with your sofa facing the ET. Sometimes DH have to give on their fav chairs & positions!! Angle the leather chair on the side of the sofa - maybe get him an ottoman so he can prop his feet up!!

5. I would consider losing the drapes & doing the same pretty wooden shades you have on your doors on those windows.

6. on the other side of the header.....maybe a console like posted above or hutch to store games & craft supplies- actually looks like the console you have there works with the mirror above it. Then add ...maybe like a game table with 4 chairs. Center the artwork on the wall between the header & doorway. Then place the game table diagonally in front of the artwork.

I am thinking by placing the sofa in front of ET on that side of the header also creates more of a foyer.

These ideas may not work at ALL for you in your space!!

You have very nice pieces to work with:)

Smiles:)

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

ok I'll play! I'm trying to work my brain this a.m. so bear with me! In the first set of pics, it is looking crowded with too many chairs. Taking one away, like you have, opens the room a little more. I would take it one step further and remove it from the room. I like the rug turned the way you have it now. It also will give you more room to place the sofa a bit closer to the EC if you were to move it there. So, I would put the sofa across from the EC and the leather chair on the right of the sofa as you are facing the EC. Place one table in between the leather chair and sofa.I like the red chairs in front of the windows, but I would put the pretty pillows on those chairs. The colors look similar and would tie them into the stripe on the curtains and look pretty against the red. I would also put the table in between the red chairs to place a drink, the remote or whatever on if you are sitting there. If the sofa absolutely can not be moved, then leave it where it is, but move the red chairs in which would scoot the leather chair closer to the sofa a bit more , still keeping the table in between the sofa and leather chair. Play with it until it looks a little balanced. I think what is throwing things off a bit is the busy-ness of all the chairs grouped on one side of the room. As for the blank wall, go to HD or Lowes and get 3 or 4 tall door shutters and hinge them together to create a folding screen. Paint it whatever color you choose and place in front of wall. Another idea is to use a plain front folding screen to place black and white family photos on. It will add interest and disguise the vent and thermostat!