SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris_cwod

Kitchen Island Troubles - opinions please

chris_cwod
11 years ago

Hi,

I posted a similar question on the kitchen forum a week ago, but thought this would be a good place to post as well to get some additional opinions...

We are putting in a long skinny kitchen island (2x6) with black cabinets and are trying to figure out what material/color of the countertop should be.

The perimeter of our kitchen will have medium brown cabinets with chocolate glaze, cream tumbled stone backsplash, black appliances, and tropic brown granite. The tropic brown has a very consistent and tight pattern, but it definitely has a pattern with multiple colors (brown, black, gray). The granite is already there and we're just getting cabinets refaced, so that part can't change.

We had one designer tell us to go with cream granite with lots of movement for the island. In theory I love this idea. But I'm so afraid we won't be able to pull of that look in our kitchen and it will clash with the tropic brown. Most pictures I've seen of black island cabinets and brown outer cabinets have either the same granite throughout or have one granite that is entirely one color (like absolute black).

What do you all think? Should we stick with tropic brown like the rest of the kitchen? Or try to find a cream granite that would go well with tropic brown? Any suggestions for a particular color cream that would coordinate?

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures to post right now - in a couple of weeks I will. But any initial opinions and suggestions are very much appreciated!! :)

Comments (14)