SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mboston_gw

What size area rug for dining room?

mboston_gw
11 years ago

My formal dining room area is part of the L shape configuration of the formal living room/dining room area.

The dimensions of the DR part is basically 10'8" x10'8", not including the walkway that we use to get from the kitchen to our master bedroom. If you include that then it is 10'8" wide by 13'11" L. My table is 3'4" wide x 5'6" long with leaf ( which we seldom use) it is 5'7" long.

I really don't wall a wall to wall rug and the standard sizes just don't seem to fit. An 8'X10 would work but I feel it would verwhelm the room. Other furniture in this part is a small china cabinet on one wall and a buffet on the opposite but it actually is centered on the long wall and is partially in the FLR.

My question is would a 5'4"wide x 7'8" rug be big enough. The entire table would fit and the chairs would when pushed in. The captains chairs back legs might not be on the rug but just off of it. Of course when in use, the chair legs wouldn't be on the rug completely. Is that really a problem?

I'm including pictures that might help you visualize it. The other thing to consider is that we don't like crowded rooms so there is a large area in the FLR that is not covered in area rug and limited furniture there. Each tile is 20" x 20" so you can kinda count out what the size would look like, if that helps. The rug I foud is the same color as the living room but it has more green and a little grayish it in but basically you notice the burgandy and green.

Comments (11)