SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
makeithome_gw

How to tell if something is a trend or not

makeithome
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

My husband and I officially have a closing date on our house and we've started to pack. So exciting!

We've been coming up with the long list of improvements we'd like to make to the house over time. It should last us a good... I dunno... 30 years :) By the time we're finished we'll be ready to start all over again because everything we did will now be "outdated".

This brings me to a question that I have been struggling with for a while now- How can I make sure that what we spend our money on will stay "in style" for a long time? The last thing I want is to invest money in a project or a piece of furniture or something else, and then 5 or 10 years down the road have to redo it because it's now horribly outdated. I know tastes change over time, and obviously some things will need to be replaced... but how do I design a home that speaks to my personal sense of style while keeping it classic enough that it has a "timeless" quality to it? How do I know that the things I love now aren't just a "trend"?

For example... I would describe our design tastes as transitional. So, I want a sofa with clean lines. I don't like "rolled arms", but I feel like because they are "classic", they will always be in style. I am nervous about buying the sofa I have been eying because it's somewhat modern looking. Are there rules that I can follow to make sure that the things I buy are going to have that "timeless" look to them?

I saw someone on here (magnaverde maybe?) had stated that dark woods like espresso finishes will be going out of style soon and lighter woods will make a comeback. But I hate lighter wood tones, lol. I love dark wood furniture. But, is the dark just a trend that I should avoid?

Maybe it's a silly question and I should just buy what I like... but I want to make sensible decisions that I can love for a long time without having to constantly update.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor