SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oofasis

What would you do with a Marge Carson sofa you can no longer use?

oofasis
16 years ago

We've got a 12 year old Marge Carson sofa that we unexpectedly found we can't use. When new it was $6,000.

All along we'd thought we'd bring it upstairs into a guest room when we completed our renovations downstairs. Recently it occurred to me to measure -- hmmm...pretty big sofa, will it fit through the bedroom door? Nope, not unless we can take off the legs. We checked it out with the mfr (since the legs had no give when we tried to twist), and M Carson told me that we needed to bring in a pro to remove the legs, that if we tried it ourselves we'd have an irreparable sofa! They referred me to a Furniture Medic who charges $125/hr. If we go that route, we'd have to coordinate timing with both Furniture Medic and two guys to move it (it's a heavy sucker!!!), so that the pro can then re-install the legs.

The upholstery in the sofa is, honestly, in like-new condition. The material (in two shades of off-white) is still good (and clean) but not as A-1 as the upholstery.

If you were me, would you go through the fuss and expense of trying to move the sofa upstairs, or would you try to sell it? I doubt I could get much money at all for it. I've been watching Craigslist for a few months now hoping to find a dining set I love, and I see the same things over and over again - just not selling, and not selling for much. I think I'd be lucky if I could get a few hundred for it.

We really can't use it downstairs. We no longer have a living room as we've created a very casual great room and have new furniture for it.

Any advice?

Comments (3)