SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bronwynsmom_gw

Battening down the hatches

bronwynsmom
11 years ago

Here in the Mid-Atlantic, everyone (including us) is getting ready in case Hurricane Sandy turns out to be a nasty witch.

To all of you on the coast, and north of DC, good luck, and be safe.

Over and out, for now.

Comments (146)

• dawnp
    11 years ago

Awm -

In SW CT as well. Yes. the storm is picking up. It's going to be a long night.

For us, the biggest worry is trees falling on the house or through windows.

I see that 1/3 of Annie's town is out of power now.

Good luck to everyone.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

Here in the easternmost tip of WV, (50 air miles from the Capital) we just had pass the first severe-looking wave of rain; the kind that is in red on the radar views. The _derecho_ storm of June 29th was a 80 MPH wind for 20 minutes. It produced damage like I have never seen here. This storm will probably rage like that for three days!
    Coastal folks please heed the evac. orders. I don't think riding out 72 hrs of this heavy weather would be prudent.
    Remember a year ago today we had a freak 4" snowfall here (more like 4" slushfall) Our only snow of the winter!
    Hopefully this ushers in a mild, calm and short winter here like last winter.
    Take care everybody.
    Casey

• Related Discussions

Batten down the hatches!!!!

Q

Comments (5)
    We've had increasing wind since Saturday, but I think it's settling down now, and it switched to the north overnight. North is better - the yard is set up so we've got a fair bit of protection from the north/northwest. I spent more time than I wanted to yesterday trying to wet down my straw mulch. I ended up taking the little wire fences I use to keep the cats out of the flower pots and using them to pin down the straw on the leading edge. At least it's not Pincher Creek - 100 km winds are common there. My sister's new chicken coop (and she's in a coulee) got picked up and moved 6 feet north - chickens and all - last week. I have to e-mail her and see if it's moved all the way to the creek yet. Connie
    ...See More

Batten down the hatches

Q

Comments (26)
    Good gravy, I'm so glad I don't often watch the news, and wasn't reading all of this. The wind was awful here, but as everything was still in pots waiting to be planted, I just snuggled everything up against the west-facing side of the house, and let 'em fend for themselves. Several pots got blown over, but nothing too tragic--they have all gotten to be VERY good friends, as they're all mashed up next to each other so that they can't blow around/down too much. I finally was able to get some peppers planted out yesterday--got about 40 into their containers, and staked every dang one of them except for that beauty that I got from Greg at the swap; it's back up against a wall, though... Freeze? Good thing it didn't--I was completely unprepared for it. I figured: if it freezes this late in the game, then we're all in trouble! Still, if it's cold enough to "frost" but the breeze is blowing, the moisture can't settle on the plants... at least, judging by if I have to scrape my windshield in the morning!
    ...See More

Batten down the hatches, here it comes!

Q

Comments (2)
    Boy we sure lucked out on this one!! I'm glad :) It was great having that nice burst of warm air so I could finish cleaning off my deck and clean up my front yard. I had such a mess out there. I'm not looking forward to the cold weather but we need so we can start winter sowing!! :)
    ...See More

"battening down the hatches"

Q

Comments (26)
    Wishing everyone in the path or the storm safety. We have had strong winds since last night in the Windsor-Detroit area and they are expected to get worse in the next few days as Hurricane Sandy and the winter storm meet clash. Our utility company has been trimming trees in the area away from power lines in the last few weeks and mine were done a few days ago so I am confident our power will stay on, well at least I hope so. I am happy the weather report just reported we won't be getting the heavy rains that they were expecting so that makes me happy because my basement floods when we get heavy rains. Anne Here is a link that might be useful: Weather
    ...See More
  • bronwynsmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Beekeepers...??? What happened? You all right?

• awm03
    11 years ago

Hi dawnp, we're in Ridgefield where over 200 trees were downed by Irene last year. My family in tornado country don't understand my nervousness about gusty winds. But you & I know it doesn't take a tornado to topple trees here. Lots & lots of old, diseased maples.

Anybody getting the heavy snow?

sombreuil_mongrel, 80 mph winds for 20 minutes. -- how frightening!

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Awm03, I share your nervousness about gusty winds! Our power is hanging by a thread when the winds get intense. As I've mentioned a few times, the gusts are brutal here!

My trees are full of leaves too. One mature crepe myrtle keeps bumping its branches against my bedroom windows and swaying in the wind. If I lose it, that would leave such a vacuum in my landscape, but I know...I can plant another tree.

Branches, pinecones, are potential projectiles & I keep hearing things bumping into the house...

Weatherman just said there is more potential for power outages tonight than there has been thus far! The winds are only going to get stronger this afternoon, evidently.

So sad to hear about big, widespread tree loss like that in your area from Irene. Many were lost here during Irene, but many more perished during Isabelle.

It may sound corny, but trees are not merely lovely landscape elements. They are a vital part of our communities.

• debo_2006
    11 years ago

Here in the Philly burbs the wind gusts are outrageous, very frightening. Hope my neighbor's tree which is not in good shape, doesn't fall our way...or any way. And the worst is yet to come. It will be a l-o-n-g night indeed. So far, 14,000 PECO customers without power and that's nothing compared to the number it will be later into the morning.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Bronwynsmom, funny about our similar memories of Hazel. I wasn't in school yet, but the rest is familiar. There certainly wasn't the 24/7 coverage we have now, was there?

Stinky, I agree about trees. They are the reason we bought our house and the reason our neighborhood is so pretty. Ours haven't dropped their leaves yet either. *sigh*

Wish Beekeeperswife would come back. Hope the crash wasn't the result of any real damage.

Debi, hope your neighbor's trees stay upright! Heck, I hope ours stay upright!

Keep checking in all. I suspect many of us will lose power tonight at some point. With luck, we can check in with a smartphone or iPad.

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

I haven't heard from my friend in Falls Church since yesterday morning. Her daughter here in Huntsville is worried, but we know they were without power for a week last year and are hoping all is well and that she is riding out the storm for now.

BKW, hope all is well where you are after that bang! Same to all the rest of you. When all of North Bama had the tornadoes in in 2011, it was amazing how neighbors came together. Even those without damage had 'cookouts', pooling things from their freezers and refrigerators to cook it instead of it going to waste. Kids were playing in the streets until dark (there was a curfew), and having a ball. Many were working to help those cleaning up and then would come home to food cooked on grills and gas stoves. I do know there are loads of guys from local power companies that headed NE this weekend. Whatever is being done, it never seems like near enough to those who have lost loved ones and things that are irreplaceable.

We all have you in our thoughts and wish only for your safety and well being. Stay in touch as soon as you can!

• lynxe
    11 years ago

"Here in the Philly burbs the wind gusts are outrageous, very frightening."

debi, which burbs???? I'm technically not in the Philly burbs, but I am north of Philly, and we're getting gusts, but not really bad ones (yet). I'm wondering whether they just haven't hit yet.

• kiki_thinking
    11 years ago

The trees worry me too. We are surrounded by trees. The derecho earlier this summer knocked down several including 2 which landed on the house, breaking roof rafters and our deck. Not too long ago, we got the 4 tons of oak tree cut off our deck and almost all cut up and split.

We have been on a wait list since June for roofers to come repair our roof, they are supposed to come do our roof in 2 weeks. Hoping we don't have more tree damage.

All that aside, we tend to enjoy "roughing it" when the power goes out. Good quality family time.

• bronwynsmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Outside, we did the same thing during the outages after Isabel. Many cookouts, and many candlelit, winey evenings playing games in each others' houses.

Our old neighborhood was populated by 60-foot oak trees, and the circular squalls she threw off took them down in mutiples. From the air, you could see circles of huge trees that went down in a counter-clockwise pattern. We escaped, but one of our neighbors lost 26 huge trees on their three acres.

• tinker_2006
    11 years ago

Stay safe everyone!!!!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

outsideplaying, I am in Alexandria close to Falls Church VA. Hasn't been too bad here except for rain until the last few minutes. Our power went off for about a minute, but came back on right away. Cable went out though. I suspect we are about to get slammed. I hope your friend's mom is just hunkered down or maybe went to stay with friends. Positive thoughts.

Stupid dog is staring at me, wagging his tail, and whining-idiot wants to go play in the rain!

• Sandy1963
    11 years ago

Weathering the storm so far, over here in Eastern CT. Still have power(fingers crossed)! I made a loaf of Banana Nut Bread, and some home made chicken noodle soup today.

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Cyn, glad your power only flickered! (Your dogs sound so cute!).

B'smom, I spelled Isabel incorrectly! I was living in PA then, but I still hear about it all these years later. Seems everyone who was here then has an Isabel tale to tell. Was a storm that made an impact in more ways than one.

Dh is home, so I breathe a sigh of relief!

All these hours of wind and rain and we still haven't seen the worst of it yet, according to the prognosticators. Dominion Power just announced they are gearing up for many more outages tonight in Hampton Roads.

Sandy1963, your soup and bread sound yummy!

Take care tonight everyone!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Power is now out...has been since 3:15pm. The # of outages is growing and the weather is getting worse...it will be days before we get our power back. Windy and raining and barometer is still dropping. But we're having a good time. I'm working on the afghan I'm making for a July bride and we're watching reruns of Gunsmoke and Rawhide...not a bad way to spend a storm. (Helped by the cheese and crackers in one hand and the glass of wine in the other.) Woodstove is cranking and Jenny the generator is doing her job.
    I hope everyone else is staying out of harm's way...plenty of time to fret and worry once the storm is over...
    ...and on the bright side, some may have the insurance co pay for a complete remodel on their home!!!

Stay safe!

(Thanks for thinking of us, Dawnp...hope all is well with you!)

• debo_2006
    11 years ago

Lynxe, we're in Chester County (West Chester area), about 17 miles southeast of King of Prussia Mall. Winds are even worse now.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Stinky, glad your DH is home. This storm is so huge. I am amazed that people are experiencing the same winds and all the flooding, etc. all the way from you and south in NC up to Connecticut and Boston. Even friends in NH are feeling it already.

BTW, did your workers change their minds? If not, are they spending the night? Hope not!

• judithn
    11 years ago

Writing from Bucks County, PA about 1 hour north of center city Philadelphia.

Lights are flickering and there are some powerful winds. The rain is steady. We're expecting to lose power for real tonight. The weather isn't bad enough to keep my 17 year old from running to hang out with his friends two housesdown the street. He may think twice about coming home later though, we're expecting it to get much worse. My cat is annoyed that she can't go outside. A tortie with attitude takes this all so personally!

My biggest worries are 1) the animals outside who may not have food or adequate shelter and 2) the election. I am very concerned that power may not be fully restored in time for everyone to vote. Will this mean a return to paper ballots?

• judithn
    11 years ago

Writing from Bucks County, PA about 1 hour north of center city Philadelphia.

Lights are flickering and there are some powerful winds. The rain is steady. We're expecting to lose power for real tonight. The weather isn't bad enough to keep my 17 year old from running to hang out with his friends two housesdown the street. He may think twice about coming home later though, we're expecting it to get much worse. My cat is annoyed that she can't go outside. A tortie with attitude takes this all so personally!

My biggest worries are 1) the animals outside who may not have food or adequate shelter and 2) the election. I am very concerned that power may not be fully restored in time for everyone to vote. Will this mean a return to paper ballots?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Annie, love your multi-tasking: cheese/crackers, afghan, cowboys, and wine! :) Stay cozy. Our power keeps going out and coming right back on-not sure what is causing that. Seems like it should just stay off. I am feeling lucky right now! I think I may move downstairs to the library soon now that it is getting dark.

Worried about all our neighborhood deer, foxes, raccoons, feral cats, etc. This must be so scary and quite miserable for them.

I also wonder about the election if power is off for a week. Not sure paper ballots could be printed in time either. Since the date of elections is set by law, I guess Congress would have to set a new date for the election...maybe?

• bronwynsmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So here's what I think.

God and Mother Nature were having a drink up at the Heavenly Bar & Grill, and they said, "You know, I am so bloody sick of this election campaign in the states...let's just put a stop to the whole business for a few days and give those silly humans something they can really worry about!"

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Annie.. glad that you are making the best of the storm. Who needs power when you have such a sunny disposition!

Cyn.. it is really mind blowing to realize that 1/5 of the nation is affected by the storm.. and many of the other 4/5ths are worried about loved ones.

Judithn.. I had a similar thought about the election. It will only add to what is already going to be an interesting and emotional election! I worry about the animals too.. but many of them are better prepared to find shelter. It's the ones in the zoos that concern me.

The winds have gotten much stronger here too (I am about 10 min from Harrisburg)-- but so far neither the power nor the cable have flickered. I am about to drink a glass of wine and then take a short nap. I don't expect many of us will get figure there won't be much sleep tonight.

Take care.. and please keep up with the checkins and updates. I don't know about you all, but I am finding a lot of comfort and distraction here today!

• User
    11 years ago

DS1 called from Lexington an hour or so ago and said the sleet had started there in VA and that they were supposed to get snow ! My DB is in Manhattan and he went up on his roof on 58th St and snapped a pic of the crane that broke over on 57th and 7th Ave. His last place was at 54th and 7th Ave...so I am glad he has moved !

Heard from cat_mom and her power went out a few hours ago but so far no water problems.

• User
    11 years ago

And here I have been pouting about our snow for the last week. Keep safe everyone in the East. From my front window.

• polly929
    11 years ago

These wind gusts are so frightening. My sister just texted me, she was not in an evacuation zone, but the Water is coming up her street. Say some prayers for us.

• polly929
    11 years ago

These wind gusts are so frightening. My sister just texted me, she was not in an evacuation zone, but the Water is coming up her street. Say some prayers for us.

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Yes, this wind is really scaring me. I cringe at every gust and expect a tree to land on the house. I have to decide whether to sleep in the guest room which is under a giant evergreen or in my bed which is under a giant maple tree. The maple is making me most nervous.

I think we haven't seen the worst of it yet. I also am just outside of Philadelphia, north and west of the city, twelve miles from City Hall.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Very sad news....I heard the fire trucks head up the street around the corner from me.....it was a fire. Sad enough, but a tree fell on one of the firefighters who was in the truck at the time and he was killed.

My heart goes out to his family and all the members of the larger firefighting family. These folks have the courage to face into the things we run from, all in an effort to help their neighbor in times of trouble. They are under appreciated. Please take a moment to express gratitude for what these folks do for us and send sympathy, strength and comfort to those who knew this brave man.

• gmp3
    11 years ago

Annie so sad.

• gmp3
    11 years ago

Annie so sad.

• jerseygirl_1
    11 years ago

In Southern NJ. We have been very fortunate, we still have electric at almost 9:00 PM. Our development is surrounded by the Rancocas Creek, so far no flooding. Very strong wind gusts.

My step-daughter is in Bradley Beach, NJ and lives 4 blocks from the beach. She has me worried. She and her husband decided to stay put. I wish I could call her a crazy kid but she's not a kid. Yikes!

Annie, that's so sad and tragic.

• chickadee2_gw
    11 years ago

I'm in Bucks County, PA, north of New Hope. It wasn't that bad here until 7pm when the wind went crazy and we lost our power. I'm holding my breath through all these gusts. Small branches are falling on the roof and there was a loud thud up there a little while ago. DH says there's a large tree down by the woods near the side of the house. I hope this does't get expensive. Oh great! Another thump outside. These gusts are like emotional contractions! Enough already!

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Every loud gust makes me cringe. My lights keep blinking and power transformers are popping. Over 400K people in the area w/o power.

Just got a message from GW -- service unavailable??

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

Thanks, Cyn, for the report. My friend in FC is fine, but they did lose power a little earlier this evening. Her daughter heard from her about the time they lost power.

Glad to hear from many of you and that you're making the best of things so far. I got home from work late and have been watching the news and internet reports. It's ugly. I guess the major stations are about to have a big special report at 9 CST so I'll tune in. Sounds like a lot of flooding in NYC already.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

This says it all

• polly929
    11 years ago

Made it through ok. Some of my family and friends not so much. I'm in tears because I can't believe my house and property are ok, but also because I'm full of worry for my family in NY. Just can't believe this.

• DLM2000-GW
    11 years ago

Oh, Annie - that poor fireman. What a visual of the power loss. Even here in Chicago area we are feeling Sandy. There are gale warnings on Lake Michigan, 20 ft waves expected - we listened to the wind howl all night and are close enough to the beach to hear the waves crashing.

Hoping all of our GW family is safe.

• bestyears
    11 years ago

Wow, Annie, what a visual!
    My mom in NH still has power, which I am so grateful for, as she is in a mobile home, and all alone.....
    Prayers for everyone affected....

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

Annie, that photo does say it all. And it is such a sad story about the fireman. I was watching the story about all the fires in Queens that aren't able to be controlled. Can't believe all the destruction that I'm sure hasn't come to light yet.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

As far as my immediate location we are all ok. Luckily we never lost power. Although the local news still wants us to live in fear so they are telling us even if we have power now, we still might lose it. My dog proved to be very strong, she was on pins and needles all day yesterday. Only went out once in the early am. Then she asked again about 9pm, got out there did her business and rushed back in, gave me a look that read "ok, I'm good, let's go to bed". She was so exhausted she fell sound asleep.

My dh's office was open and he went this am.

Regarding that bang, I never found it, but I have a hunch it was the first part of the crash I heard a little later. I had those decorative fireplace screens in my windows in the study (I used to have them in my old dining room), but the windows must have flexed and pushed it off the ledge, pushing over a standing lamp. Yikes.

funkyart, why didn't I know we are neighbors? I'm on the West Shore.

Got a txt from dd1 last night, she was ok. No power since 4pm. I haven't heard from her this am yet. My dh saw her pop up on Facebook, so we know she is ok.

It is so hard to imagine the flooding in NYC that they are showing on TV. And the shore seems to have been devastated.

Stay safe everyone.

Bee

• User
    11 years ago

I watched the news for the first time in months because of this thread been praying for you all.

• polly929
    11 years ago

God bless the nurses of NYU Med. Ctr. They were evacuated. I watched one on the news with an intubated baby in her shirt to transport the baby to another hospital. They carried critically ill infants down 9 flights of stairs to get them out. I've worked in NICU for 14 years, I can't even imagine a transport in the middle of a hurricane with no power.

God bless those who lost their lives. One family was evacuating and a tree fell on the father killing him. This is just unreal. I am so truly blessed to have come through this ok. I recently lost my Dad, can't help but feel I had a guardian angel through this.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I'm still on pins and needles about the firefighter as they haven't released his name yet...one of them is my neighbor, another is my GFs brother and I know several more as I went to school with them...that's what happens in a small town with a volunteer company....everyone knows everyone.

So upsetting.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

I am so glad to be seeing you all pop up and say you are doing fine. The number of heartbreaking stories are many-- and likely to increase. Annie, my thoughts are with you and your community.

Bee.. we are, indeed, neighbors. I am on the west shore also! I grew up in CH and moved back about 5 yr ago. Are you from this area?

You know what is funny? I remember thinking that the table you tried in your dining room looked a lot like one that had been posted by a local consignment shop. I never dreamed that it was the same one and that you were nearby!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Good morning all. We lost power at 10:00 last night. I hope it comes back on sometime today. If not, well, we are better off than most-no trees or huge limbs down. One little bird sat perched on the bird feeder most of the night. Poor baby. At least he was somewhat sheltered from the worst of the rain and wind since the feeder is under the deck.

I am so sad about your firefighter, Annie, and the father. How terrible things like that are and how little control we have in these situations.

Waiting to hear if we have school tomorrow. I am not looking forward to a cold shower if we do! Hang in there everyone. Hope you are all safe and sound.

• Sandy1963
    11 years ago

Still here, only lost power for about an hour and a half last night, just small branches down in the yard, and a lot of wet leaves all over. Husband made it into work o.k. too, he said roads were clear, no problems.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Funkyart!!!! Yes, right here, in M. Crazy!!!

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Awesome, Bee! I just heard from my bff who lives on the conodoguinet-- they are ok so far but they're expecting the creek to continue rising and to crest 1' higher than it did with tropical storm Lee..which flooded their garage and came dangerously close to the house. We have all been remarking on how surprised we are that more trees didnt fall-- but I guess Lee took out the weak ones and saved us this time around.

So this is fun-- I shouldnt hijack this thread further but it's good to know you are a neighbor. We'll have to share haunts and finds.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

Bee, glad you are ok and the crash wasn't anything major.

Annie, my heart goes out to the family of that firefighter and all those worried about their loved ones doing emergency work this week. My nephew is an active firefigher/paramedic here and my BIL is a retired firefighter. My dad and brother helped start the volunteer department near here where I grew up. They are all close knit groups.

Jerseygirl -- hope you hear from your step-daughter soon.

Glad to hear from all who fared well. Hope those yet to post are also doing well.