SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

What do you think of this CL Wingback chair for my master?

Valerie Noronha
15 years ago

I'm looking for a new chair for my master bedroom since we moved the existing one to the family room.

Here is my master bedroom with the previous chair (before we added the matelasse coverlet that is there now):

Here it is with the coverlet:

Here is one that I am considering on CL. The price is right and the fabric looks like it will work with my color scheme. The link below to the ad shows the front view.

It will be a one hour drive away so I don't want to make the trip unless I'm reasonably certain it will work. The only thing I am wondering about are about the dimensions: 25" deep, 25" across and 41" high. While I do prefer a smaller chair for this spot, the 25" dimensions sound almost too small. Does this sound typical for a Wingback chair?

Comments (76)

• funkyart
    15 years ago

NP.. I should have done it the first time around.

this one looks nicer than I expected.. still a big price difference but it does pull in your botanicals nicely.

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

Val, the white one will need a new foam cushion insert as well as a good upholstery cleaning. I am not a fan of skits on chairs. As a matter of fact when we reupholstered the brown chair in our LR, I eliminated the skirt and like the chair much better.
    I still haven't seen the legs on the white wing? what do they look like?
    I told you the chair looks like my good will chair. The shape and the arms. You can dress up the white chair with nice cushions as this chair is a great canvas for nice pillows.
    Here is my LR wing, see the arms and the side of the arms 'roll' over. The shape of the arms is what attracted me to the chair.
    The chair you like is a good choice, it has good bones for a re-upholstery job down the road, in the mean a little upholstery cleaner, new foam cushion, and some fancy throw pillows will perk the ol' girl up.

see the strong resemblance?

• Related Discussions

CL 'deal' on table? (pics) What do you think?

Q

Comments (5)
    I think the chairs give it a country flair, but it's nice. A classic style. The two-tone adds a nice touch too. It looks brand new, and if, in fact it is in new condition, I'd offer $475 and see where it goes from there. Personally, if it were my set, I wouldn't let it go for much less than my asking price, based on condition. If it's a new, first-time posting, she has time get full price. If she's eager to sell, she may negotiate, but $200 off is alot, IMO. That is a wide table. Just make sure it's gonna fit with plenty of room around it.
    ...See More

What do you think of these CL chairs?

Q

Comments (8)
    I learned these are Broyhill chairs. Upon visiting their website, they still sell them, but with a back cushion. It appears the back cushion on the CL chairs was replaced with a pillow which is why they look "odd". Hummmm. This explains why the seat looks so deep. Makes me wonder, for the price, if it's worth getting them and finding a cushion or better fitting larger pillow for the back. Thought on that and Broyhill furniture? Here's a pic from the Broyhill website of same chair.
    ...See More

CL find - What do you think?

Q

Comments (9)
    Aunt Jen, I LOVE the rattan shown in your link. I definitely like the more mid-century looking stuff and have been hoping for that for a while. But I've been checking CL for what seems like ages and I can't seem to find a set with cushions that isn't $$$. Carrie, I actually did think about painting it but this is furniture that we will be sitting on in (dry) swimsuits and shorts, so I didn't think the painted fabric would feel very nice next to our skin. It never occurred to me to dye cushions. Yours look fabulous! What a terrific idea. I will DEFINITELY keep that in mind for the next great buy. Dying won't work with this stuff because the cushions are attached. BTW, Carrie, your wicker really is beautiful. And sunroom furniture IS shockingly expensive. What is up with that? I have to tell you guys it was pretty funny when I went to see the furniture. The seller just bought this house and had tons of workers there - painters, landscapers, carpenters. As I was staring at the couch he was walking around with the decorator getting her opinion on what needed to be done. I was dying to jump into their conversation. I knew I didn't want the furniture but I stood there for a few minutes just to eavesdrop! From what I could figure out, the decorator was giving him some good advice. I approve - LOL! Nicole
    ...See More

Bought the CL Dining Set..what do you think?

Q

Comments (28)
    I Like #3 - "matchy, matchy" is what Nate Berkus calls furniture that is matched. He likes a room where there is nothing that "matches" another piece of furniture. I do too for the most part. Sometimes it's not practical but in your case, I think the reason #3 is more "striking" and elegant is that it isn't a precise match. #2 looks "dated" to me - like it belongs in an estate sale and not in a good way, in a way that indicates "it has seen its day". Though it may be that the china cabinet is enhancing the "dated" look. Sorry to mention Nate Berkus (on TV) so much but I like his style and he gives a tip to use a "chest of drawers" with nice arrangement on top as a replacement for a china cabinet. I think I agree on that one too. If you have a lot of china to store, not sure where that goes though. Always must be practical too of course but thought I'd mention the tip.
    ...See More
  • printersdevil
    15 years ago

I like the first one best! It is also a great price.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

funkyart: You are getting good with the PS! I like that one a lot, though it is pricy and more to the point, the seller has not replied to my email all day; meanwhile the other seller of the $40 chair has been very helpful and I have appt. to see the chair tomorrow so I should really finalize my decision soon.

joann: The chairs do look similar! One thing that I am still concerned about are the dimensions: 25"W x 25"D x 41"H. That seems quite narrow, though I do need a slim chair (the one I had before was probably a bit too large for that space). Could you compare the measurements to your chair? You brought another concern I had regarding the lumpy looking cushion, though seller said it was down. Can I just purchase a new foam insert and zip it in? If so could you tell me where I can find one and about how much it would cost. Lastly, here is another pic of the chair showing the legs:

• funkyart
    15 years ago

I like both.. and the skirted chair looks to be in better condition and a little more inviting.. but it is a lot more money... and the seller isn't responding to you. :(

I don't really know how you deal with down--maybe a good fluff like a duvet? I know you can buy foam and cut it to shape... but there are many here who can give you better information on that. What I'd do to the seat would depend on how comfortable/uncomfortable it is. If it's comfortable as is, I'd see what I could do with a pillow and throw.

I wont be around tomorrow-- but hopefully one of them works out for you. I'll check in for an update tomorrow night!

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Val, have you seen any other styles out there? I think the wingbacks are too formal and traditional looking and the softer skirted one looks maybe cottage. They just don't seem to sit well in your room. I think you need to try some more contemporary lines to follow the rest of your furnishings.

• susan209
    15 years ago

Boy oh Boy, tough decision....I do like them both quite well. I like the green diamond because it goes well, nice soft look, cheap...did I say cheap and will look great and then I really like the one with the rose in it and I like the skirt. I am glad it's not my decision really. As far as the down, I expect you could add some nice soft pillow filler that is so billowy and it could 'cush' it up some. Neither one would be a wrong choice!

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

Val, Our wing is 23" Wide 28" deep 45" High
    The cushion is 20" deep X 30" wide (at the front where it wraps past the arms)

Yes, the cushion should unzip and you can replace it with foam. I don't know the cost (we buy our supplies from an upholstery supply place.) We have a few widths of foam in our workroom and we cut cushions out using a electric knife.)
    You can take the cushion to an upholstery shop and ask them to cut you a piece to fit inside. The reason I say take the cushion to them -- is so that you get a tight fit. (the foam cushion should jam in tightly) I am not a fan of down seats, unless they are always fluffed up, to me they look sloppy. (however, I do like down throw pillows)
    I think you have to see the chair in person. If you're not crazy about it, don't get it...If you like it, get it.
    The price is cheap enough...hey, you can always put it back on CL if you change your mind.
    Joann

• les917
    15 years ago

I think the wing chair is just too stiff and formal a look for the room. It is more like something I would expect to see in a formal living room on either side of a fireplace.

I would love to see something like this - the soft curves compliment the curves of the furniture, and it is low so that it lets the bed be the star in the room:

molly chair

Obviously this is not shown in any fabric, but I would think a stripe with mostly soft colors, perhaps a thin dark stripe for balance here and there, would be nice. Fabric #4161-94 on that site is the kind of thing I was thinking of in a stripe.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

les/squirrel: I guess one of the things that were attracting me to the wingbacks is they are more compact since I don't have a lot of space there, though I do see your point. The Chloe chair I had before was a smaller arm chair at 35"W x 32"D and even that was a tad too bulky I thought so am not sure what else to try in that corner that does not block the living room.

Now that the red chair is going, I'm thinking of pulling in a lavender/purple as an accent color to tie in with the botanicals. I'm even contemplating a purple chair--though not sure that would go over well with my DH.

Here is one for sale, though I do think it's a tad too bulky/casual:

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple chair

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Everything in your room looks so fresh and new, with clean styling, it's hard to even imagine putting a worn or dated piece in actually. Maybe you can find another inexpensive chair like the one you had -- wasn't that around $400-$500? I can't see spending $150-$200 for a decent used chair if you can get another new one for a couple hundred more.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anyone like this one better than the $40 chair?

squirrel: I do think I'd like to keep the cost down if at all possible (around $200). We are just starting on the office (all built-ins) and it's going to be a b*tch as the counter for all those corners are going to cost us..... Plus I need the another rug, bookcase, end table and coffee table/ottoman in the family room so the less of my decorating $$ go to this chair the better.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pink striped club chair

• hoosiergirl
    15 years ago

For what you want it for, the original $40 chair should do just fine. It would be different if you were looking for the *perfect* chair for that space, but for something that looks nice for a reasonable price, I'd go that route. I still like it better than any of the others that you've been looking at. Another plus for it, for me, is that the wooden legs look similar in color to the wood in your room. I think it will fit right in!

• parma42
    15 years ago

That's a nice bedroom chair. I'd find out if the fabric is in excellent condition and if the pink is really pink. It's reading salmon on my monitor.

For the price difference, you want it in great shape.

That's a chair I could actually see someone sitting in.

• User
    15 years ago

I'd probably still go with the first one. I do like the striped pink one but it also is reading salmon on my monitor. Also $40 vs. $195... there'd be more money to go
    somewhere else!

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, I'm going to go for it. Need to get going to her place and the office showrooms.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I don't know which one you're going for, but I had actually tried on the striped one last night! Hard to tell what's going on with the color. One is lightened and more to a pink.

{{!gwi}}

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The pink damask actually looks better than I thought it would. I guess I was turned off at the prospect of telling DH we should get a "pink" chair for the bedroom. I did hear back from the seller and he will sell me the pink damask plus two cushions (for the bed) for $150. I've not replied yet.

As I was heading up the peninsula to meet with the designer about the office, it made the most sense to just pick up the $40 chair since it was in that direction. The lady selling it had a lovely large 4,500 sq. ft home but was downsizing to move closer to San Francisco where her DH and kids commuted everyday. She said she had four other inquiries, but I was the first to get up there so it looks like I can always resell it on CL if everyone lilkes the pink chair better.

As this chair is quite tall, I had to move the lamp. It does tuck in nicely into that corner, though.

What does everyone think--this chair or the pink damask?

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

I like the fact that the chair blends in with your wall color, without disappearing, of course; I think the pink one would "pop" too much.
    An off white mohair throw casually draped on the chair would be wonderful.

Does it need cleaning ?

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

It looks very nice, Val. Better than I thought it would. Still not crazy about the style with your room (and I do like wingbacks : ) but like it tucked back and it blends in so well that it just sits quietly as an aside, doing its duty, which is all you wanted. Love the idea of a cream mohair throw, and maybe a small undersized, decorative pillow as well.

• funkyart
    15 years ago

I really like it-- and the fact that it cost $40 makes it all the more perfect. I don't think you could do better size wise-- and I really think the other chairs you are looking at would have too big of a footprint. If you use it for 6 months until you find something you like more, then it was worth the $40. I prefer it to the chloe chair -- and for the same $40, you've added a beautiful chair to your FR. It's good all around!

You could do a cream mohair-- or pull a color from your botanicals. I think a little fluffy pink belongs in everyone's bedroom!

• hoosiergirl
    15 years ago

Oh, I think it looks perfect, Val! (I think the lighting in the 2nd photo makes it look dirty, but you can tell from the 1st pic that it's just fine.) I don't know if I'd go with a white or a lavender (from the closest botanical) pillow. And I can see a small footstool in front of it, too. I think it's lovely! And for $40! Good for you!

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Seems no one likes the pink damask? Guess I'll tell the seller I'm not interested.

mitch: It's really not very dirty. With a 4,500 sq. ft house I think it was in a seldom used room. And the down is really comfy too. My 7-year-old DD cuddled up in it and read a book this afternoon.

squirrel: I know it's not ideal, but I do find the profile of the wingchair to work most efficiently in that corner--probably because of the straighter back. I do like the idea of a throw and small pillow which will connect with the bed and bring in more lavender/pink to tie in the bontanicals. Any specific suggestions?

funkart: My thoughts exactly. Thank you again for the photoshops--it's always fun to see the virtuals and the real thing.

hoosier girl: I like the idea of a footstool, the throw and pillows. I'd like to add a few to my bed as well. Do you think the bed and chair pillows should match or just coordinate? I'd like to work more of the colors of the bontanicals into the room--darker green/lavender/cream. I added them after the paisley chair that was here before and they never really worked together. Down the road I may replace the floor rug also. At least now I feel I have a color scheme for this room: sage, cream and lavender with a bit of black.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, I forgot to add: what do you think of the lamp/chair placement? I should probably move the little plaque if I keep the lamp where it is now--perhaps put something on the corner wall or leave it as is and focus on the chair arrangement?

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

And here is a foot stool. Not too far away too.

What do you think? Should I make an offer?

I know this room is all "new" furniture, but I really like vintage stuff too. Is it OK to work in a few vintage pieces?

Here is a link that might be useful: foot stool

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

squirrel/funky: Can one of you please PS the footstool in front of the chair?

I checked the height and it could tuck in under the chair if I want in case it's too bulky.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Here are some imperfect colorations on the throw/pillow for a general idea. Having trouble getting a cream. After seeing my brown-red shade go pink with a monitor adjustment, who knows what you're seeing out there!

{{!gwi}}

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow. Your work fast! I love the footstool. What should I offer for it? $25??? The ad has been relisted from last week. I would assume if I go for the footstool then I need to work with those colors for pillow/throw. Could you try a cream throw w/ the footstool?

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I had trouble getting a pillow/throw color combo for the footstool. Here's a pillow pretty much the stool color. Those stools can be recovered very easily, too.

• funkyart
    15 years ago

Love that it is comfortable-- and how cool that your daughter curled up and read in it today.

My thought on the footstool-- A footstool looks great but I think you need a paler pink or a pink with more blue in it. This one has a lot of yellow in it. Pretty footstools are all over ebay (and I am sure CL since your area seems to have LOTS of great stuff). I'd wait for the right footstool.

Love the throw and the pillow (still partial to the pale pinks).

Does the lamp fit on the other side of the chair?

and you are very welcome-- glad I could help until the expert was free!

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Oops, I sure wouldn't pay $40 and would probably pay $20.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Looking closer at that footstool and some of the ones on eBay -- looks really nice rather than ordinary doesn't it. I probably would pay $40, lol. Worth checking out irl.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

funky: When the lamp is in the corner it looked odd to me with the lowest lamp shade as the chair is taller. I think I need to play with it some more. I did rotate it so the the lower one goes to the nightstand and higher to the chair. In terms of using it for reading that works the best.

I checked eBay and agree with squirrel--this really is nicer than what I see there and, if it doesn't work, I can always sew a little cover for it with some trim--in case the needle point is original. I'll call tomorrow AM and start with $25--not so low to be insulting and figure we'll settle in the middle. Surely she doesn't want $39--an odd amount for CL as no one wants to make change. I'm not sure if I want to pull in more lavender (like in the botanicals) or rose (like in the closeup of the chair fabric). Both work better than red I can see now. I do have some gold in the room--the sheer drapes which I am wondering if I should phase out to more of an ivory. Anyway, one step at a time.

• teeda_2006
    15 years ago

I think the chair looks great in your room! I love the way it blends in so well with the wall color--as someone else said, you don't want a chair to pop out the room. Right now your focal point is the bed, particularly the frame itself. I think the tonal wing chair is a perfect compliment to that. And you got a great deal!

I like the footstool. The only problem I see is if you don't actually use the footstool, it's one more thing to maneuver (at least that was my experience when I had one the bedroom). It is very pretty. I definitely think vintage adds a nice touch to any traditional room.

Wow, you sure are the CL Queen!! You have found the most incredible things (I'm still amazed at how you put your LR together with CL/estate sale treasures!).

• User
    15 years ago

I really like the chair! Looks comfy. I think the pink one looked too bulky in the room.

I like the footstool. My eyes do go right to it in the PS. Maybe if some more of that darker rose were in the room it would help. It's a great price and a lot nicer than some of the ones I've seen on ebay.

• hoosiergirl
    15 years ago

I don't think lavender is the way to go after seeing the PS, and I'd forgotten that it had rose in the fabric itself. So I'd probably go either rose or cream. I love the footstool, but since you're going more monochromatic, I don't think it works. It stands out too much, unless you want to add a few other accents in that color to tie it in.

P.S. I don't think I've told you, but I love your sleigh bed!

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

Hey Val!
    What a great find & great price. It looks really nice in your room.

I think I would lose the floor lamp & get 2 table lamps for your nightstands. I think I remember you having recessed lights above the bed for reading but lamps look so pretty in a room at night.

Have you tried 3 botanicals over your bed? Then put the cross & heart over one of the nightstands together?

Smiles:)

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

That's the way I'd go in. If the needelepoint hasn't been stepped on too much you might be able to make a small pillow or something. The color of it really stands out so at the very least, I think you'd have to have a darker pillow on the chair also, with some similar tones to connect it. I prefer the room and your chair soft and quiet without the dark pink in another area of the room or in bringing attention to the chair.

Does look like a nice stool! The wood, frame, and shape look pretty and to be of good quality.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did call this AM. The seller wanted full price as she said she'd already lowered it and they sell for much more in antique stores. She did not even counter. I'm a bit surprised as it was listed last week at the lower price, now this week so it must've been on for sometime. So I did not jump on it as we were not sure if the color went or not. I hate having to call to make an offer, but she listed no email address. I much prefer sending an email and letting seller think about or even wait it out a day or so.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I don't really think it's an unreasonable price, although it's only a picture! When I pulled it in and tried to see it closer, it looks like a nice quality. Hard to really see the cover in detail though. But the type of wood, finish, and detailing looked like it might be pretty nice and in very good condition. A nice needlepoint top is also a nice touch and selling point. You figure, $20 for the base and $20 for a nice piece of needlepoint -- is really nothing!

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You think I should just go for it then? The other thing to note she is probably a less than 20 min drive away from me so there is no shipping and no hassle of a 2 hours drive (which I won't do for a footstool). Perhaps I should give her $40 and ask her to make change? I know I'm being nasty--but why list something on CL for $39???

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

If it's nice, I probably would, and just find a nice monochromatic tapestry or woven for it. Unless you have something else more specific in mind, it goes nicely with the chair.

I was thinking the same thing after hitting submit. On eBay, you might find a $20 stool, but you'll be blowing away another $10-$15 on the shipping for nothing. I'd rather put it into the piece. Here you can just pick it up on your way home from an errand or something. Not to mention all the time it takes to browse, wait, and bid with eBay (and get sidetracked!, post here, etc.).

• funkyart
    15 years ago

If you love it, get it. If not, wait.

I think you can do much better with a little time-- but that is for my tastes, not yours.

I love the chair :)

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

What's wrong with it? I'd make it more puffy, but it looks pretty nice.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I went to see the footstool, but it was a total bait and switch!!

I called up the seller in the afternoon, she wouldn't make a deal saying how it was in excellent condition and worth over $100 in an antique store. When I go there she shows me three different footstools none of them anything like the above. When I asked where that one was--with the pink background and the queen anne style legs, she said she didn't know what pic was posted in the ad as her son posted it. She tried to sell me her "Chinese style, solid mahogany" footstools, but the workmanship was very amateurish and the embroidery looked like it was pinned on. I'm really PO'ed about it--a big waste of time--but since I was in her house, I just said I'd pass and left.

On the positive side, at least it was not eBay "not as advertized" to deal with. Bet they would look just perfect with those eBay Bergere chairs.

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

Val, you might not even need that footstool anyway. The chair really looks good and the fabric works very well with your room.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

threedgrad: You are probably right. It's mostly just for some added charm.

Here is another one on CL. The needlepoint is even prettier than the pink one, but I prefer the Queen Anne style legs. It's only $8. I'm almost tempted to get it just for the needlepoint.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another footstool

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

You can get this footstool and buy Quuen Anne legs for it.

This guy makes great table legs but the price will end up making this an expensive piece. I think you can get relatively cheap unfinished legs at a local shop near you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tablelegs