SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saskatchewan_girl

Living room paint color ideas

saskatchewan_girl
16 years ago

We've been in our house for 3 years now and still haven't agreed on a paint color for our living room. The pics below are old, we have the sofa (grey leather) and the coffee tables (dark grey steel with slate tile tops).

Any suggestions of wall color? I like purples but don't think it will go, it seems more earthy tones would work.

Please disregard the lack of pictures on the walls, the old lamps (not here anymore) or the old fake plant.

The casings and closet doors have been painted white since the pic. Also in the next year or so we will replace the rug with hardwood, most likely very light wood.

TIA

Comments (32)

• steve-va
    16 years ago

I kinda looked at that coffee table & that went with my original feeling of a medium toned brown/tan. Not necessarily the best pic to show ya everything ya want here but its a nice color. Please pardon my crooked paint line at the ceiling :)

• les917
    16 years ago

Purples and greys can play very nicely together! I would look for a purple that has a grey undertone to it. Take a look at BM Purple Haze or In the Twighlight.

The other color family that I think would be wonderful would be a warmer beige, something in a shade that picks of up the color tone of the legs on the couch and the tiles in the table. Maybe BM Guesthouse or Classic Caramel. That color combination is very sophisticated.

What you may find is that when you put in the wood floors, you may have to paint again. The color of the floor matters in relation to the wall colors.

• Related Discussions

Living Room Paint Color Ideas

Q

Comments (0)
    I would appreciate any ideas on a living room paint color. I am thinking SW Accessible Beige to lighten it up but have also thought about a lt blue grey, or SW Silver Strand. I have some lighter blue shades in other rooms. Room is not real bright and furniture is dark but can't afford to change out. Thanks for any input.
    ...See More

Living room fireplace and paint. Looking for fireplace and paint ideas

Q

Comments (5)
    Poor son. Someone "updated" the fireplace already and did a horrid job. The floors are beautiful. I would not want to ruin the banister like they did the fireplace, with white paint, but the room does need lightening. The walls are already white and any color will only darken the room. Maybe he will need to invest in a lot of light fixtures. Is the ceiling white?
    ...See More

living room,,,, please help the idea to beautify my living room again

Q

Comments (1)
    What are you willing/able to do? What, specifically, are you unhappy with? Are you considering replacing the furniture? Paint the walls? Without more information it's difficult for me to make suggestions. However, I'd strongly suggest moving that chair away from the draperies/window. And also change the paint color. Is the room as small as it looks in these pictures? If so, that furniture, in my opinion, is far too large. When you say "Beautify my living room again" (again being the word I'm referring to), what did it look like before when you considered it beautiful? I think you've got a lot to work with. It would also probably be a good idea for you to post this also in the Home Decorating Forum.
    ...See More

Need Living Room curtains and wall paint color ideas

Q

Comments (16)
    are you sure you wa to paint the walls? They look quite nice in the photo. i would do curtains like the black and white panels here http://www.curtainsmarket.com/black-and-white-geometric-modern-window-curtains-p-3093.html And i would put a big plant under your clock, a live one, probably with big leaves i think a couple of throws would look nice on your sofa. These come in 11 different colors
    ...See More
  • lindybarts
    16 years ago

Well it's raining today and I can't convince hubby to go furniture shopping with me, so I decided to play with your room. Hope you don't mind. I've been meaning to practice my photoshopping and haven't had time.

Anyway, I agree with Steve and Les' ideas of the carmel tan color. It looks nice. I also think the room would be fabulous with some crown molding. I also did the ceiling a soft tan shade. The couches read a little black on my monitor so I'm not sure if I'm on the right track here but what do you think of these. (please excuse the sloppy second one)

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• budge1
    16 years ago

How about a deeper colour like BM's mystic gold or livingston gold?

• saskatchewan_girl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WOW lindybarts love the program : ) I sure don't mind! I like those warm tones. I really like the 2nd pic, it's pretty close to my kitchen color. I have bramble tan and wright stone in my kitchen they are by CIL. Can you try something for me with those colors?
    Thanks a bunch.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

I did these real quick without the photoshopping goodies. I think the Mystic and Livingston Golds are pretty but maybe a tad dark?? I tried a few shades lighter...again, may just be the program too. I also did the purples for Les

Mystic Gold
    {{!gwi}}

Livingston Gold
    {{!gwi}}

Summerdale Gold
    {{!gwi}}

Decatur Buff
    {{!gwi}}

Purple Haze
    {{!gwi}}

In the Twilight
    {{!gwi}}

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Hey saskatchewan, we must have been posting at the same time. I am not familiar with CIL...who is that? I was using the Ben Moore program but as others will tell you it's not very true to the real colors. In photoshop, I was just trying some shades on the color wheel and not an exact paint color. It's only to give you a guideline and then you'll have to get some paint swatches to hold up to your real wall. So, the tans are what appeal to you? I like those too!

• saskatchewan_girl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is the link http://www.cil.ca/en/colour_trends/warm_neutrals.html
    It is a Canadian company I guess. Here it is on another web site http://www.decoratingchallenge.com/show55.htm
    but mine is way darker on my wall.
    http://www.decoratingchallenge.com/show57.htm
    I think the one above is the back dining room not the living room
    I'll try to show you one of my pics.......don't mind the demo'd kitchen.

TIA

• flyingmickey
    16 years ago

I love the warm tones for the walls. You could then add some purple with art, pillows and throws.

Where in Saskatchewan are you? I have a friend that moved to Saskatoon last year and she is having problems adjusting to the long winters. The kids and I drove out in the summer to visit - the longest two days of my life.

• steve-va
    16 years ago

I think it would be smart to paint after the new floors are in. The light reflection off the floor can really change some colors. Just make sure you have a good painter who is not sloppy!

• saskatchewan_girl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't think I can wait for the new floors with my procrastinating DH LOL. So I'll paint first.
    We are 2.5 hrs south of Saskatoon, and I'm a born & raised prairie girl so I'm used to the winters, DON'T like them, but I am used to them. LMAO Sask is pretty flat and not much to see, summer or winter.
    Maybe with global warming our winters will get better : )

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Did you mean you wanted to see more CIL colors? I can't really pull up a specific color to try. I can only play around with the color wheel on photoshop or Ben Moore's program. What other color did you want to see from CIL? Maybe I can find something close???

• jade.d
    16 years ago

Hi from one Saskatchewan prairie girl to another, I'm about 4.5 hours south of Saskatoon. I'd love to see what a plum colour looks like in your living room.

• steve-va
    16 years ago

I like the Livingston & Summerdale gold the best!

• saskatchewan_girl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I like the Livingstone too. The lighter color in the additional post I sent is what I'm leaning towards, but can't remember if it's the Wright stone or Bramble tan from CIL.
    I'd like to see a purple/grey based that is kinda stone color too........is that way off?
    You've a great help lindybarts, I have to "see" I just can't imagine I guess. My old living room was Tahitan Sand and it was o.k but too purple for the hubby.
    The 8yr old loves the first 2 and the Livingstone too!
    Thanks again : )

• steve-va
    16 years ago

Just remember that all of these colors show differently on monitors. If you took a picture of something near your computer & looked at that pic on your computer you will see what I mean. In the end you are gonna need to make the final call on this one.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

I don't think the purple/grey idea is way off but as Steve mentioned, this is really going to be something you'll need to decide based on samples on your real walls.

Okay, so the Bramble Tan is the lighter of the two colors you asked for. If I try to do a color match (again, probably not even close) but the computer says Hazlewood from Ben Moore. I changed your crown to white since I realized you said you changed the trim. Here are also a few plum colors for jade! These colors are definitely cooler than the tan ones above.

Hazlewood
    {{!gwi}}

Grg Avenue
    {{!gwi}}

Sterling Silver
    {{!gwi}}

Vintage Charm
    {{!gwi}}

Eggplant
    {{!gwi}}

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

I vote for Purple Haze.

• saskatchewan_girl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

They are all so nice....I just can't decide. I like those earlier earth tones because of the warm feeling and I like all of the latest, especially the middle 3 too. My kids want to know if the wall art comes with it LOL.......it's been so long since we've had anything on the walls, 3 yrs actually.
    My friends make fun of my love of purple so I'm hesitant, they are always 'in style' with the new colors! I can't see the DH letting me paint anything a bold color......he wanted the house to stay all WHITE!! EEEK! I already work in a hospital!
    BTW....a little OT. I absolutely LOVE your kitchen Lindy! The countertops are to 'die for'. You've put it together so beautifully with the backsplash. I hope you enjoy every minute in your new stunning kitchen : D...
    Thanks for so much input and ideas/feedback.

• ummm
    16 years ago

i like sterling silver or vintage charm!

BM wet concrete may also be a good choice if you like purple!

• eventfarm
    16 years ago

when you first said purple with those couches I cringed.

But vintage charm is quite nice....

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Personally, I would go with the lightest shade of the tans. You mentioned you like your kitchen that has a light shade and also since hubby is not into something more daring...that's what I would stick with. You could always accent with other colors since the tan would be very neutral. The latest purples are all very nice and I was surprised how much I liked them too but they completely change the tone of the room from warm and traditional to more crisp and contemporary. Is the rest of your house more traditional?

That one photo I put above the couch is a Van Gough. The famous Starry Night picture with lots of purples, blues and grays. If I get a chance (kinda swamped today) I could put a mockup together of the tan color with some purple accessories and the Van Gough....?

Thanks for the nice comments about my kitchen. It's been a long year but well worth the wait!

Lindy

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

Mystic Gold, Sterling Silver and Vintage Charm are my faves! Of course they will look totally different IRL, but don't despair! As everyone on here knows, you could do a whole demo, put it back together and paint will always be the one element that stumps you!

• saskatchewan_girl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was shocked at what I liked in those pics, eggplant???? didn't think i'd like something like that on a way. I like purple but not sure how I would incorporate it in my living room, other than the walls but it doesn't have to be.
    My home is not traditional, but more contemporary I guess. A lot of my frames are brushed nickel/pewter or black. I have been looking at wall art, i am always gravitating towards abstract art, and my DH tells me "what is that, It's not even a picture of anything!" but some of it just makes me feel good and I like First Nation art so I'm a little different more on the contemorary side I think.
    My kitchen will have SS appliances with either very light or very dark cabinets with ss handles too..............my kitchen table is SS chairs with dark grey table. My kitchen walls as i mentioned are browns/earth tone.
    Hmmmm I don't know what my tastes are.. but here's an example
    {{!gwi}}
    I'm hoping to decide by Christmas : )

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Wow, that's a pretty cool art piece. You're right, more contemporary than traditional. That would look fantastic against the Sterling Silver color. It would give you that hint of purple you wanted but not too bold for dh. What do you think?

{{!gwi}}

• freeelove
    16 years ago

Lindybarts: What a great combo!

I think the Livingston Gold makes the room a very sophisticated feel. My two neewbie cents!

Good luck! Can't wait to see what you decide on!

• slahgirl
    16 years ago

Ok, I like the picture lindy just did. If you are contemporary style.
    If you are not, I think pumpkin and red would look cool with your gray.

• lynnski
    16 years ago

The room looks fantastic with the art. To me, the sterling silver looks beautiful, but too chilly cold. brrr! The painting sask girl posted is a winner, but the pretty metallic trees are making me shiver.

• helaina
    16 years ago

I vote for "In the Twilight". Lindbarts, how did you make those images?

• newhome_sales
    16 years ago

Hello from another prairie girl - SK born and bred! (wow, who knew there would be 3 out of a million on this board?)

My vote is for Sterling Silver. I LOVE the light tan colours, but I think that if you go that way, then you might find that it blends too much with your new floors (once you have the hardwood) and then there won't be enough of a contrast. As it is, with lindybarts' picture, she has so kindly introduced a camel colour in the art and accessories that would blend ever-so-nicely with a light hardwood in the future.

Make sure you post pics after you have painted!

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

helaina, I used the Ben Moore paint program for the wall color and photoshop to change around the accessories.

SKgirl, did you ever decide which color? Did you paint yet?

• saskatchewan_girl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry haven't been to the home deco site as much. No I haven't painted yet and it will be a while : (
    We are still working with the insurance & GC on our kitchen/basement flood! I am down to sub floor in my kitchen and every think I once had in my lower cabinets are boxed in the living room, along with my kitchen table and pantry food AAHHHHH!
    At least I know that my bottom cabinets will be replaced but WE have to pay for the tops to match. AND the old ugly stipple on the ceiling doesn't go behind the top valance so it will need something done. So far to scrape it off and put spantex it will cost $1000 just for kitchen and of course the ceiling runs in with the living room and hallway! So my grand total estimate is $2700 for the ceiling only. I still have to put in approx $3000 for my upper cabinets and THEN there is the counter tops.
    Whew...........thanks for listening to my vent : (
    I can't wait until I'm just concerned about painting my living room LOL.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022