SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roorezzi

mantle update.. help with stain color

roorezzi
15 years ago

Hi -

I was on here a few weeks ago about updating my FP. We enhanced the stone and now we want to build a mantle. Our plan is to do something simple. A box over the exsisting stone top - or maybe even adding a flat trim piece to the top and have something like the one in the link below (cascading mantle.)

I was playing around with a free photoshop like program. Not very good at it but wanted to see the colors. We have wood (poplar) I think to build the mantle. We now have to pick a color - In the pics below you can see that I put a snippit of our new floor we are installing in there at the bottom to compare the colors. Furniture in the room is med toned wood.

Here are a few pics of the mantle...

1. Cabot Walnut color

2. Painted Black

3. Painted the white on the trim -this is a pure white but you get the idea...

4. Stained a dark wood tone

5. Here is another color on cabot - called pecan. Its a little bit warmer than the walnut but hard to tell on their online site. compare to the walnut of #1 - also below. Hard to see the difference online - but there is a slight one.

pecanwalnut

What do you think??? One other thing we were considering was to "distress" the wood a little with hammers, chains etc. The floor we are putting in is hand=scraped, but I want the mantle to be elegant yet casual - not toooo rustic. I think distressing will look toooooo country.

Please Help!! I think we are starting to build this weekend.

Ruth

Here is a link that might be useful: Cascading Mantle -I would have only 2 levels.

Comments (15)