SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
riley605_gw

cathedral wood ceiling with beams?

riley605
13 years ago

Taking relative costs out of the equation (as far as what wood, real wood, finish, etc.), would anyone really choose to do a plank wood ceiling in a 14' cathedral family room? I see the photos in magazines all the time, but I don't know anyone who has actually done that.

My parents used the faux rustic beams on the ceiling - they look fantastic - but w/just texture and painted ceiling between them. DH is in love with the "lodge" look of a light-colored (maple?), completely paneled ceiling w/either dark or redwood-colored beams: one running the length of the peak of ceiling, then several others running to the high peak from wall.

To me, this is a decorating issue, because I've built perfectly lovely homes w/regular ceilings. It's only on THIS build that he has become enamoured of this look.

Any experience, advice for or against, or even sources for materials to do so? Thanks so much!

Here is a link that might be useful: fair example of look DH likes, but wants beams to contrast and planks to run

Comments (8)