SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
my3dogsii

My new (old) Craigslist $15 chair to re-upholster!

My3dogs ME zone 5A
15 years ago

I saw this ad appear this afternoon and raced to see it after work. She was asking $20, but took my $15 offer happily.

Her ad read, "I got this neat old gliding rocker at an auction several years ago, planning on fixing it up and reupholstering it. I never got around to it, and now I'm trying to empty out the attic. Hopefully someone else can enjoy this unique piece of furniture! I believe the auctioneer described this as a Victorian platform rocker, but do please see the photos. It definitely needs some love, but it also has some really interesting detail in the woodwork that could make it worth it. I have seen similar items, just the frame, for sale on eBay for over $100."

The condition is wonderful! It doesn't glide, but it's a rocker, with tiny brass wheels on the front legs. It's completely original, and I have already experimented getting the old finish off using Formby's Furniture Refinisher, and it's working beautifully. I think it's walnut, and the upholstery has cotton padding, horsehair and burlap underneath. I think this will be my first upholstery project, as it'll be almost all stapling or tacking and gluing. I will have a BALL working on this to make her pretty again. Isn't she cute?

Hard to see, but it has a bit of curly-que carving on the arm support in the pic below.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH