SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanwrites_gw

help with swapping living room and dining area

susanwrites
13 years ago

We are moving right along (though not as fast as I want) with the renovations we're doing. Since we are moving a lot of furniture around at the moment for painting/plumbing/etc, it was a good time for me to revisit my idea of moving the dining room into the living room and doing some kind of seating area where the dining table was. We love the dining table in the living room but are trying to figure out what furniture we could fit into the dining space. We'll have to buy stuff since what we have won't work though we did play around with moving the big chairs up there and trying to "mock up" the idea of having seating in that space.

Here are some pics of the space. All the white tile is coming out and will be replaced with EcoTimber Woven Solid Bamboo. I want to keep the flow going to the library which is tough because there's a big opening to that room. And we like that and will keep it. The last picture has the measurements of the area I'm working with.

The dining table will move to the living room and the rest of the furniture (minus the big chairs) will stay in there too.

The buffet will move to the left side of living room, where the bar is and the bar will move to where the china cabinet is. Right now the dining table just looks odd because of the opening to the library. Plus there's not a lot of room to back up your chair without worrying about falling off the ledge.

That hole in the wall has been covered so I have that full wall space. The swag in the chandelier is gone since we moved the box. That's the only thing that gives me pause, could I still use the chandelier in this space without a dining table? Maybe if I raised it?

Another angle.

We moved the chairs up here just to give us a rough idea of what it might be like to have a sectional or a pair of loveseats or loveseat and a chair up here.

This will be the floor that is replacing the tile. Eventually we'll replace that sunken room carpet with this too but we can't do it right now.

{{!gwi}}

I'm looking for suggestions about what kind of furniture to put in this space for seating. I don't want to float stuff to the edge of the walkway (picture where the dining table was) so I'm thinking of hugging those two walls with something and then a big ottoman in the center for seating/coffee table.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths