SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyart_gw

Slipcovers - the good, bad & ugly

funkyart
9 years ago

It's time to replace my sofa.. past time. The size and style don't work in my current house and the leather is showing signs of wear-- and not in that cool rustic way. I've tested a number of sofas and the ONE sofa that both of us like is the Willow at Crate and Barrel.. love it. It's comfortable, the right height for my rather high coffee table and it works with the rug we've selected. Easy, right? No. I am very concerned about the fact that it's slipcovered. I love the idea of a slipcover-- especially for my lifestyle. The ability to remove-wash-replace is very attractive. I dont love the idea of spending an afternoon to wash and replace but it's a small price to pay for a sharp looking white sofa. BUT here's my concern-- my major hurdle:

I love the look of the magazine and blog slipcovered sofa spreads. I HATE the look of the slipcovered sofas I am seeing on CL.

It seems to me that the CL sofas are from homes that actually USE the sofa -- as we will. It's not going in a pretty room-- it's going in a room that will get use. Daily.

This photo was taken of the sofa I want to purchase-- it was purchased in February so it is not even a year old. I do NOT want my sofa to look like this in 2 years .. definitely not in 6 months.

What are your experiences with slipcovered sofas and their upkeep? I am not crazy neat so I am not expecting it to be perfect at all times-- but because I am not crazy neat, I dont want it to look a hot mess. I WILL have stacks of books and/or papers.. a coffee cup or two .. and I am ok with that level of normal mess but if you add a sloppy sofa to the mix, all of a sudden i imagine a very messy looking room.

What is your experience? Am I too concerned? Are the photos like the one below an unfair representation of a slipcovered sofa? This is the first sofa we're both happy with .. but I don't want to regret it 2 months later.

From CL:

Comments (26)

• funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here is the look I am going for.. fresh, crisp and inviting. I want this look for the foreseeable future.. I am willing to dry clean if that will make a difference. I am not willing to buy a new slipcover yearly.

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

Hi, Funky!

You are smart to look up pics on CL.

I think if I analyze the wrinkles, they are pretty similar. The difference is the way the 2nd photo is styled. One is in an empty room, no pillows, no anything. The second has interesting pillows, a plant, etc. You could always steam out the wrinkles, though and I don't think it would take long.

I love slipcovers because they CAN be washed. It's so gross unless you want leather. But, I like the look-- I even like the first photo. If you don't, then I would say you will always be dissatisfied. They are certainly not for everyone.

Your stacks of books and coffee sound inviting, not messy!

• Related Discussions

EZ Level - Good, Bad, or Ugly

Q

Comments (20)
    @Frank Gusto You turned one of the 5s into a zero and called the wrong number. Wait until they open again on Monday and call 800-726-5550. If you can put EZ-Levels on both sides of the diagonal support, I would use two to help bear the weight of that large cabinet. You may need to stagger them to put them on the same board but opposite sides. Since I commented earlier on this thread, my cabinets arrived and were installed with EZ-Levelers, and the whole process couldn't have been easier. The countertop installer was highly impressed with how level the cabinets were all around. Another benefit is that EZ-Levels lift the cabinets about 1/8 inch above the floor, so if there is ever any moisture on the floor, the cabinets won't absorb it unless it is a veritable flood. That also means that you need to take into account the final height of your cabinetry minus about a half inch for the EZ-Levelers and their leveling requirements if you are doing custom countertop heights like I did. It is probably mentioned earlier in this thread another great benefit of EZ-Levels, that they will keep the cabinets stable for longer than regular shims which can tend to work their way out over time, jeopardizing the stability of the countertop if it is a stone countertop. EZ-Level is really the way to go. The units are obviously more expensive than regular shims, so people with flip homes or trying to do things on the cheap are not going to order them, but if you really want to do a great job, get EZ-Levels.
    ...See More

Engineered hardwood.....the good, the bad, the ugly?

Q

Comments (14)
    Hi runninginplace (great name! :) ) - sorry, sometimes humor gets lost over the internet. :) What I was trying to say is that a lot of people whine about laminate that it's "not real." And I laugh at that, because it is very much a REAL floor. You can walk on it and everything! Ha ha. Yes I'm aware laminate has a printed wood-look face to it. I don't care. The "it's not REAL" camp doesn't resonate with me. Full disclosure, I like Corian better than some granites too. That statement also horrifies some people. Again, I don't care - it's a cost/benefit analysis for me and I'm not pretentious. All I was trying to say is I have exactly what this woman is talking about - a ~4 year old Shaw pre-finished engineered wood floor. And frankly I hate it. To me it has all the negatives of a wood floor, without hardly any positives. I liked my ~15 year old wood-look laminate plank floor much better than this current floor. So I explained why. Given that it is my opinion that I hate my current floor, I'm pretty sure that is a valid assumption. ;) If you have a prefinished wood floor and you like it, I'm genuinely happy for you. Different strokes and all that.
    ...See More

The good the bad and the ugly

Q

Comments (49)
    The link or pic didn’t come through, but that’s ok because I think ‘Heavenly Tiara’ is the clear winner! Not sure what the prize is........maybe I should mail order a new HT for you? However since the Tiaras are so prone to slug issues maybe you would choose something else! lol. All of your goods were really good! Love that chorus Girl!!
    ...See More

Garage Locking Tiles- The Good, The Bad, The Ugly, The Best

Q

Comments (10)
    No, not yet, but hopefully one day soon I will have grands running around. I've also posted on an all-things-garage forum and so far gotten several folks who had a professional epoxy floor with grippy stuff added and they have all said it was slippery. I think we are now leaning towards the racedeck after doing massive research. One thing that is nice, is that you can remove the portable tiles and take them with you. But yes, I do think the epoxy looks great!
    ...See More
  • User
    9 years ago

It looks to me like the back upper corner of that slipcover is not pulled down all the way, which is then making the front of the arm not fit properly. If it were tugged back and down, the front would fit properly, I think. I do think that the sides will continue to be kind of baggy(?) looking though, but a side table will cover most of that, as it does in the second photo. Pretty sofa! I have two white slipcovered sofas and I love them.

• thonotorose
    9 years ago

That first cover is very badly made. It does not fit and that is a big part of the problem. Regarding back cushions: They do that with use. Only way around it is a tight backed sofa or chair.

More padding added to the backs can help but you can also reach a point where it looks like two over-stuffed sausages, very short and very fat. Unfortunately, all sofas are made with synthetic padding, now. Though better now, those petroleum products will always have those issues.

Best cushion cores are QUALITY foam cores or inner spring cores wrapped with cotton or feather padding.

(Don't get me started on that feather/synthetic blend! Absolute garbage.)

If you can get a pure linen fabric, have it pre-laundered and shrunk by your upholsterer before it is constructed, your cover will last for at least 5 years with once or twice yearly laundering. You must get pure linen, not a blend of "linen-like" fabric. Or a cotton/linen blend either. It just doesn't have the strength or the quality of gracefully aging that true linen does.

FYI, I recently found a place online that has bolt prices of linen that are fantastic! Many colors, some jaquards... go for the "canvas" weights. You could purchase that cover fabric for less than $175.00.

• ttodd
    9 years ago

I have a white slipcovered IKEA Ektorp sectional. My advice? Buy 2 sets of slipcovers, one to put on asap when you take one off to wash.

I also think that I read somewhere that the fabric makes a big difference too. The standard white IKEA slipcover gathers fuzzes very quickly whereas the better slipcover (the one that it came w/ but is not white - I bought the sofa at a thrift shop) does not acquire the fuzzy factor like the white one.

My husband gets really dirty at work. Doesn't look like it when he comes home - but the sofa sure tells the story! His side is always cruddy. I have a white quilted throw that I put over his arm of the sofa. I also stopped worrying about it because they wash up pristine white w/ a soak in bleach and a washing.

The slipcover can be a real PIA to put back on. Especially the back and arm part but I feel that for our lifestyle and my decorating desires that it is a small price to pay. It also gets faster and much easier the more that you do it.

I also learned to take my slips out of the dryer just before they are 100% dry and I put them right on the sofa. More give. They're dryer than slightly damp but not bone dry.

I must still by my 2nd white slipcover set.

I would buy a white slipcovered piece of furniture again in a second.

If I posted a pic of my sofa on CL to sell it would not look like any of the ones that I see 99.9% of the time because I care about the picture that I am taking.

• thonotorose
    9 years ago

I amend my other response: The first cover may have been made over sized to accommodate for shrinkage from laundering. If the owner only dry-cleaned, that may explain that sloppy fit.

Gail is right. One of the charms of slipcovers is that look. And the ability to keep your pricy upholstery in pristine condition.

• shadylady2u
    9 years ago

The first one looks like a readymade and the second one looks like semi-custom. A good, custom slipcover fits like a glove, but not cheap.

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

thenotorose has given you excellent advice. I think the diff between two couches is cover fit and fabric quality. I use my slipcovered club chairs daily and they look new, four years later. the covers are fine, prewashed linen and when I take them out of dryer, I recover immediately and there are no wrinkles, but again, fit is important.

• nancyocean
    9 years ago

I got mine from Pottery Barn and I've washed them twice now and they look like new, but you're correct, I've seen so many that looked horrible. I have a friend with the same line and different fabric and hers are holding up well too. I have found that on the part that lays on the couch, not the cushions, it's helpful to dry it first, as this shrinks it a little. Then I rewet and put back on couch and wrinkles hang out. The cushion and pillow covers, I just lay flat to dry. My fabric is the linen and it does stretch out a bit when washed, so the dryer helps. I just love this couch so much and it's is so darn comfortable and looks beautiful after more than 6 years.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am sorry-- both sofa photos are of the same sofa. The Crate and Barrel Willow. I think foxespad made an excellent point. Clearly the person selling the sofa didnt take the time or care to put the slipcover on nicely.. or as anele suggested, steam it. It is a heavy cotton cover-- linen, much as i love it, is out of the question.

I am going to consider getting two covers. That would help, I think. Also, appreciate your experience with not allowing the cover to completely dry.

My biggest fear is having it become a sofa I don't want us to sit on-- so was very glad to hear you weigh in, thefoxespad/Tiffany. I know you and your family give yours a real workout. There are only two of us so it just won't see the same use. Tonight is the end of the 15% off sale.. so I either decide by the end of the night or I wait and pay a little more if I decide to go with it. I just can't discount that it's the sofa we both liked the most. That should be worth the extra effort every month or two.

• peony4
    9 years ago

Funkyart, I'm about to venture into slipcover territory, too... Based on advice from this forum, I'm going to test drive a MGBW Alex II slip sofa. The link is below. You may want to consider this one, as well. It's in the same price range as the C&B, but you'll notice the back cushions are a bit more tailored. In addition, the frame behind the back cushions on this MGBW sofa are higher--and so there may be more support for the back cushions than on the C&B.

This is all based on observation only. But this may be another alternative for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alex II slipcovered sofa

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

I have Ektorp everything, and white slipcovers. Bleach definitely helps, but some of mine do not look pristine no matter how much I bleach. Mine do not gather fuzz like TheFoxes do. Just be aware that when you bleach, they become a very stark white. If your room is generally sun-filled, I think it's OK, but as mine is not, it can be jarring.

• runninginplace
    9 years ago

I think slipcovered couches are a decor/style item similar to marble countertops and dark wood floors: popular, attractive and at the same time more work and effort to maintain than other choices.

I yearned for the white slipcover look but finally decided that for me, a couch that will-not may, will-look rumpled, and which involves removing literally the entire covering to wash then wrestle back onto the sofa periodically is not something I could handle. My leather sofa may not lighten up the room but it's virtually maintenance free.

Just as I know myself well enough to know that choosing marble with it's blotches, stains and cup moisture circles permanently embedded on my kitchen counter top was not an option--since vigilantly policing the counters 24/7 isn't a path I want to walk. My granite might not be gasp inducing when I walk in the kitchen, but yesterday's lime squeezing fest was a worry-free session that ended with a quick wipe of the counter.

And trying to sweep, pick up or mop bits of debris that show up glaringly well on those so-cool ebony floors? Nope, not happening. My good old red oak flooring is plenty gorgeous and only needs the occasional pass with a bona-sprayed mop. Done and done.

All of which is to say there sure is a reason for the form-follows-function mantra!

Ann

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

Ann, if I didn't have cats, for sure I would get leather next time. And I'm a vegetarian! I agree-- white slipcovers are a lot of work. But, now that I've had slipcovers and see how disgusting they get, I don't think I could go back to non-slipcovers OR I'd get leather if pets were not an issue.

Of course, just one sofa isn't bad-- I have a sofa, LS, and 2 chairs (well, down to one since I gave one away). That is way too much work.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Hi Funky! FWIW, we have two slipcovered sofas from C&B at our beach house. They are not the same as the one you're looking at -- the style is quite different (the Bayside sofa, which I don't think they even sell any more), but the covers still fit great and look great after several years. I think we have had one for 6 years and the other for about 3-4 years. Both are print fabric, but with a white background and I have thrown the seat covers (just the seat covers, not the whole cover) in the washing machine and they wash really well.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I love the look of white slipcovered sofas, but I have also come to dislike upholstered furniture that does not have washable slips. Kinda seems gross to me now! In fact, the sofa i just put in the LR beachhouse was not a slipcovered model. Bu,t, IIRC i spent an additional 700-800 to have slips made, not including the fabric (quadrille, an indulgence). Btw, prewashing fabric yourself for a slip is not a good idea...

As far as keeping a second set of slipcovers, i have two MGBW sofas and iirc i think it would be 1k plus to buy a second slip ... and where do you store it?

Yes, put them on slightly damp when you wash them. You rarely will wash more than cushion covers, so it's not a terrible amount of work.

We have a downfilled L-shaped slipcovered sofa from MGBW and love it. Yes, i am constantly punching pillows, but that is part of the comfort. In my experience, loose pillows are always an extra bit of maintenance in return for extra comfort.

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Mon, Sep 15, 14 at 9:54

• jubilante
    9 years ago

We've heavily used, and washed, 2 Rowe slipcovered loveseats with no complaints.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

jubilante - overall do you like the quality of Rowe? do you have kids?

thanks. I have been going through this debate myself! :)

• funkyart
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your experiences, suggestions and cautions.
    I did not set out to choose a white slipcovered sofa so your input is so very helpful. I have read many blogs-- but in the back of my mind I am thinking of these people who are so totally focused on their decor and presenting it to the world. This isn't MY reality.

Peony - I do love the look of the MGBW sofas but I havent had the opportunity to see/sit in one. I have zero complaints about the sit or comfort of the C&B.

Anele - I have wondered if I am going the slipcovered route if I shouldn't *try* the ektorp first. The entire sofa costs less than just the slipcover for the Willow sofa. Alas, I decided that I choose the Willow because of it's comfort and seat height (I have a tall coffee table made from an antique quilt frame that really demands a higher seat). Your experiences with washing are so helpful-- and humbling. If you can manage with 5 kids and cats, surely I can manage with 2 adults. :)

Ann - you are so right that there are things we take on (or don't) knowing what we are getting into. I have your very same thoughts on granite. I did not set out to do the white slipcovered look to be "on trend" but no matter, the maintenance responsibility is the same regardless.

Sue - I feel so foolish. Of course I'd wash only seat cushions most of the time. That really does change the maintenance equation. It's great to hear yours still look nice after so many years.

Mtn - I hadnt really thought about how gross it is to not have slipcovers lol. This gives me a whole new perspective on the maintenance. It feels less like a chore and more like a necessary task-- like cleaning the bathroom and doing laundry. I also appreciate the insight on having spares. It's one thing with an ikea sofa when a spare costs less than 100. The C&B spare is 800. And indeed-- where would I store it?

Jubilante - thanks for your experiences. I havent seen a rowe sofa but good to know it has stood up to heavy use.

Thanks to all I havent called out specifically. I am 90% decided .. now I am only on the fence with the rug. I thought I was 200% sure of the rug! I seriously get on my own nerves when I set out to make a decor change. LOL

• Kj Bilco
    6 years ago

What did you end up doing? :)

• mstcher
    6 years ago

I would also like to know what you ended up doing. I have my 15% off coupon for C&B and it expires today. I'm leaning towards the Harborside and would love to know what you chose.

• abcde fghij
    5 years ago

I like the idea of slipcovers and how they look in magazines, catalogs and stores, completely unwrinkled. I hate the look of wrinkles, and have finally realized that it is impossible to keep my slipcovered couches unwrinkled with three boys jumping on them. I have replaced one of them with leather, and am looking for an alternative for the other.

• mstcher
    5 years ago

I ended up with the Harborside. I now wish I had gone with the Willow. The harborside is uncomfortable. Period! It’s also been discontinued through C&B. Wonder if there have been several complaints and this is the reason why? Wish I had gone with leather now.

• PRO
    Comfort Works Custom Slipcovers
    5 years ago

Probably 4-5 years too late but maybe we can weigh in a little here as well.

When it comes couch covers or sofa covers, the traditional sense would be that it's loose and unfitting and yes - companies that sell sofas or slipcovers like us would put in a lot of effort in making the end result look super crisp like so:

You're right - it's unrealistic to be super focused on one's decor and presenting it to the world but when we do it for a living it's kinda something we have to do. It's constantly having to show our best work every single time, but it's definitely important to note that not all slipcovers can be made equally.

In our experience, we could classify aesthetic sofa rejuvenation into 3 major categories:

1) ready-made slipcovers / universal covers / drapes

These are the typical "Stretch covers" you see everywhere going for about US$100 to $300 and claims to fit every single shape of sofa, which they don't. (I've personally tested this on a Chesterfield sofa and looked like a trampoline. Feel free to pm for a photo.)

They are economic but aren't the best looking - hence, good for a quick fix.

2) tailored made sofa covers (can be further sub-categorised into "relaxed" or "snug" fits)

These are the slipcovers we're most familiar with since CB sells them or we can go to an upholsterer to have it made for about $800 onwards -- which I have to say sounds cheap because upon inquiring many upholstery shops that's just the charge for labour as far as I remember. $30/yard extra for fabrics, which brings the total to $1200 but once again this are upholstery shops.

Nowadays online slipcover makers like us and others are able to provide these at about $500 or so for a complete so slipcover set inclusive of seat/back cushion covers.

This can go a couple of ways, with the "relaxed" fit looking a bit more shabby with a skirt and some people do intentionally go for this look. Alternatively if you want something more fitting and closer to upholstery, it is very possible for sofas that constructed more squarely as per the image above. While it's also possible for more curvy sofas, the outcome won't be as perfect.

Having said all that, the more fitting the slipcover the less likely it'll look saggy in a couple of years.

3) upholstery

Not much needs to be said as this is literally putting fabric over the couch so the fit should theoretically be perfect. The downside is just cleaning and as you all mentioned, potentially quite gross (even steam-cleaning isn't a 100% solution).

Of course, it is just as expensive as getting a slipcover made from that same upholstery shop.

Hope this gives a bit more perspective to everyone else despite the tardiness!

Just like everyone else though we're also quite interested in what you went with in the end!

• Joan Voss
    11 months ago

no way you are not too concerned... i totally agree with you and am also not a fan of these slipcovers that have a woven bubbled surface so goodbye to them i would rather use a blanket when it gets cold out and keep the house warm by turning up the heat... i replaced 2 sofas one is new leather and the other faux... why cover it up it looks crappy