SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pineapplecake

Pre-finished hardwood: you love yours, tell me!

pineapplecake
13 years ago

Ok, here's the situation. A while back, I asked about wood floor color choices. Our flooring install started yesterday, and is about half way through. It's pre-finished solid hardwood (oak). The color is fine. But, I kind of hate the product we chose. I think it looks cheap and plasticy. I hate the seams between boards (with the beveled edge), and the sheen of the finish makes it look fake to me. Not as bad as the laminate we have upstairs, but not what I was expecting (which is ridiculous since I had a sample at home and was able to see what it looked like -- I don't really know what's wrong with me).

I feel really stupid, and sad about this. The contractor is a stand-up guy, and wants us to be totally happy. He offered to stop, pull everything out and do something else. But I think the only thing that would really make me totally happy is raw, finished-in-place hardwood. And at this point, I don't think we can deal with the cost, disruption and time that would be involved in doing that. So I'm pretty much resigned to live with this stuff.

I know a lot of people have this kind of product installed and like it. So, if that's you, please tell me all about it. Make me feel better. If you have it and hate it, I'd prefer not to hear -- I'm already depressed enough about this :-p

(I'm also telling myself that we're not going to be in this house forever -- if this were our "forever house," starting over might be more reasonable.)

Comments (26)