SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bronwynsmom_gw

How do I hate this primer...let me count the ways!

bronwynsmom
11 years ago

Arrrrgh!

So I decided to paint the body of these file cabinets, and only wallpaper the drawer fronts (they are 42" 2-drawer lateral files).

I went to the B. Moore dealer, bought a quart of Cabinet Coat tinted to match my walls and the wallpaper, and on their advice, a quart of Stix, a water-borne bonding primer, to use under the paint.

It's going back.

I started with a foam roller, also with the blessing of the store guys, which despite the saturated foam left a prickle of little bubbles, which I managed to flatten with a second pass in most spots. Then I switched to a brush.

It set up in about seventy two seconds, so forget keeping a wet edge...and when I painted back into it, it made that thing that looks like you started peeling your sunburn and then rubbed lotion on what was left...

So I have to wait many hours before I can run a little fine sandpaper over it to smooth out the worst of it, and if I have to strip it all off, I suppose I will do that.

But sheeeesh!

So be warned. If you have used and can handle this stuff, I welcome your advice.

Comments (8)