SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dawnp_gw

My livingroom needs your touch!

dawnp
13 years ago

I started on my livingroom two years ago and came to a standstill on the accessories and artwork.

I am planning on getting a new coffee table, a small chest for between the windows and a small round table for next to the chair with the ottoman.

My biggest dilemma is what to do with that wall space between the piano and the table with the lamp. My designer SIL suggested a collection of sepia toned prints 4 or 6. I think that's a great idea and I found some of antique keys on allposters.com but they look so ordinary.

Does anyone have any artwork suggestions? I am also open to any other constructive criticism!

The furniture and rug all stay as they are new. TIA!

Comments (31)

• msrose
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I love what you've done so far! Can you post the key pictures or a link to where we can see them?

Laurie

• dianalo
    13 years ago

How about a vintage look mirror in that spot? I think it would add some sparkle and perk up the room. You can surround that with the photos.

If you want sepia prints, you can make your own with images you find online and then print them with your camera's software. You can also scan your family photos and print them as sepia.

• Related Discussions

Living room needs finishing touches

Q

Comments (3)
    The room could use some re-design, and you could try using current furniture. Center the rug in the room. Angle the amoire where the chair is now. Center the sofa on the current wall, and move the large chair to face the hall(?) door opening (making an "L"). The table near the chair may have to move to another space, or it might look good between the two front windows. Then, you'll need to add a couple of side tables and lamps, and a couple of solid pillows to replace two of the patterned ones on the sofa.
    ...See More

What's missing in my living room? Help me put the finishing touch!

Q

Comments (21)
    Someone said: I believe the Houzz experts (and I am NOT one!) suggest the TV be 2/3 the width of the TV cabinet. No no no no no. The TV cabinet needs to be at least 25% wider than the TV. Wider is always better. There is no minimum size for the TV. Do not hang that guitar between the windows. Do not hang anything between the windows. Your curtains are perfect. Hang the guitar on the wall just left of the TV, get some art for over the sofa, and add just a touch more red to echo the arc lamp (which is tres cool, BTW). You've done a great job so far. You've got this.
    ...See More

my living room needs your help please

Q

Comments (473)
    Wanted to wish every one a Merry Christmas..this is out my kitchen window. I am presently restoring my great grandfathers kitchen table (100+ yrs old) that I came across in my late father’s shed. Then we’ll work on a new re decor of another room, still loving my living room. Hanging ivy’s are thriving well in their spots and received a 10x12 photo taken of a purple thistle flower bordered in navy blue taken near The Royal Palm Visitors Center Everglades National Park signed by photographer. Very proud of this gift. Going to add to my collection. Safe and joyful holiday season to you all, Alice
    ...See More

my living room needs your help please

Q

Comments (2)
    You have some nice pieces, but it's difficult to see how your room is arranged in these photos. Ideally, you want your seating grouped together for conversation. The painting you did on your stairs looks good. Leave the rest stained. I wouldn't paint the end table - it looks good with your navy sofa. Try using navy and tan as your main colors, with just a few pops of the red that you have in your lamp and rug. I don't see yellow or orange working at all. You should move the end table, lamp, and plant at the bottom of the stairs. That area should be completely clear. You can likely move the table and lamp to the side of your sofa where you have your metal end table, and maybe the metal end table can become a plant stand for your floor plant somewhere else.
    ...See More
  • dawnp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Laurie!

Here's the link to the key prints. I would frame them in dark brown frames with a cream mat I think.

Here is a link that might be useful: Keys

• diymadness
    13 years ago

So pretty! I'd agree that a special mirror would be perfect in that space. It's something different from the painting above the couch and it will add a bit of light and sparkle. I also think that you need something over your fireplace. Great room though. Really classy.

You know, I've spent a lot of time looking at allposters.com. But I think that, unless you see something that you really really love on there, and that really speaks to your personality, I'd stay away. I much prefer art that is more personal, not something chosen to match the decor. Go to local galleries and craft fairs. Buy artwork on your travels. Commission a local art student to do something to your specifications. Make something yourself. Or hang family photos. I think that a unique piece of art can bring a room to life. My two cents.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    13 years ago

well I know what I'd do: turn the piano so that when you're playing it you're looking into the room.

• caminnc
    13 years ago

Beautiful room but I think a better funiture arragement is what you need....calling Les....Oh Les, where you?

• teacats
    13 years ago

How about a large floor mirror (or on the wall) to the left of the piano???

Then hang the set of key prints (wonderful BTW!!!) above the piano on the wall to the left of the fireplace ....

Find a tall floor lamp for the corner to light the piano (and the player)

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

Here is a link that might be useful: ballard designs -- large floor mirror

• Happyladi
    13 years ago

What a beautiful room! It's very warm and inviting. Personally I think the coffee table and the table between the windows is fine.

I had the same problem with switches over my sofa. My husband finally relocated them around the corner and I like it much better. But if they need to stay there you might consider changing them all to beige rather then white, they would blend in much more.

• nanny2a
    13 years ago

Could you move the couch to the wall where the baby grand is, and put the piano angled by the corner of the wall where the couch presently is? The piano seems to be in an odd location, but if you plan to leave it where it is, I'd have it facing out , so the person using it would look out into the room.

You have a lovely room, and comfortable looking furniture, I just think the present arrangement is skewed and could use some tweaking.

• oceanna
    13 years ago

It's a lovely room and I like what you've done. It could use some artwork. Have you looked at the Living Rooms thread in our Gallery for ideas?

• dawnp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the help so far. I appreciate the complements. I'm glad it looks warm and inviting because that's how I want it to be - even though it's a formal livingroom.
    Dianalo - Great idea to have some prints done in Sepia! I hadn't thought of that.
    Diymadness - I agree on the artwork and that's why I'm hesitating on the key prints.
    Gracie - We have the piano positioned there to take up less
    space and for optimal sound in the room. It actually doesn't fit very well in this smallish room but I'm trying to work around it.
    Teacats - Thank you for the link to the mirror and for the lamp and prints placement suggestion. I think I will put up some brown paper(using the Ballards mirror dimensions) to mimic the mirror on the wall and the prints. I'll post some pics tommorrow.
    Happilady- Thanks for the pointers on the switches. Yes, they really are in the wrong place! I'll work on my hubby on that one. The coffee table is just old and I think a bit small. It's also a mahogony color and I'm looking for more brown tones in the furniture. I also wanted a more solid piece for between the windows.
    Nanny- That couch and piano are in the only position where they will work. I have thought about pulling the couch forward a bit and adding a shelf behind to make the conversation area better.
    Oceanna - Thanks for reminding me about the livingroom thread in the gallery. Great ideas there!

If anyone finds or knows of any great sources for artwork online, please LMK! Artwork is always the hardest!

Thanks again!

• homebodymom
    13 years ago

What a beautiful room. Love the floors and the fireplace is fabulous. I agree with teacats. A large vertical mirror leaning against that wall would be great. The key pics a really nice, but I think a mirror would be better.
    Great room- keep the pics coming!!!

• mary_lu_gw
    13 years ago

When you first mentioned "keys" I thought you meant a close up of piano keys. So I did a search on piano and found some nice prints at your link. Some even had a similar look/colors as the artwork over your sofa. Also sepia ones. As this is your living room, but also your music room, perhaps incorporating music into whatever you hang on that wall? Especially as it is near the piano?

• les917
    13 years ago

You have a lovely home, and a nice combination of pieces in the space.

First, the sepia keys. While I love the art, I think it is too much like your wall color - it is just going to be overlooked because it blends in. Multiples on that wall would work, but I dont think those are what you need.

I would rather see something else. Your room is off balance, with three windows on one end, along with a doorway, all strong rectangles, with lots of fabric and the blue accent color. The rest of the wall space in the room feels flat by comparison.

I wonder if you would consider something like this tapestry on the wall opposite the windows? I think it would make a statement on that side of the room, balance the color and impact of all the windows and fabric. I like how the shape of the design in this echoes the pattern in your rug:

galerie du bord de lÂeau

That is the smaller size. It comes 5 inches longer and wider, but is more than double the price. They include rod/finials for hanging, but you could also find a drapery rod that works for you.

Now for the room arrangement, as others have referenced. Right now, it feels as if your furniture has been pushed back against the walls to make room in the center of the space for dancing! :-) I would like to see things cozied up a bit. So here are some thoughts.

Above the fireplace, a piece of art would be fine, but I think a grouping of botanical prints in antique or burnished gold wood frames would be one choice.

The other, if it appeals to you, would be a collection of plates and/or platters of Italian Majolica. The colors are warm and lovely, and would compliment what you have in the space without being too matchy. They would also bring some life to that area above the very black fireplace box. Here is a link to one:

Italian majolica

The tall palm in the right corner by the windows isnÂt adding anything. You have enough there with the windows and drapery. Move that palm to the diagonal corner, where the round table is located.

The armchair and ottoman look very nice, but are pushed too far to the corner. Pull them out a bit, and move toward the left a little as well, and leave a little more space between the chair and ottoman. People are supposed to be able to get there to sit.

The table between the windows looks like it is sitting sideways - this is being replaced, i think? I agree that you need something else here, but i would make it a round table that can work for the two chairs. You also need a much weightier lamp. Perhaps you could use the round table that is to the far end of the couch - but it needs a softer-looking cover, perhaps an embroidered silk or silk-look fabric. The brown cloth is way too heavy for the room.

MOve the ponytail palm over to the piano area for now.

The couch is fine, with the exception of the round pillow in the middle. It looks like the couch has a belly button. Leave that area of the couch open, so that people feel they have a place to sit without having to move all the pillows. Move the belly button pillow to the armchair, putting it behind the dog pillow.

I would like to see narrow matching end tables and lamps on either side of the couch. The lamps need to be taller than the current one that is there.

I would skip the coffee table. You donÂt need it if you have end tables.

Move the piano out away from the wall some, so that the single leg at the top of the piano is about where the pattern in the floor makes the right angle before the fireplace. The other end should be away from the wall some as well. If you can open the top more, I would. That is part of the beauty of that style of piano, and it will also visually fill some wall space. I would look for a a lovely floor lamp, perhaps something with a swing arm, that will help illuminate the music when one is playing. Maybe something simple like this:

floor lamp

Consider putting the ponytail palm tucked into the curved area of the piano. Plant some ivy or other lower trailing greenery in the bottom of the pot for softness and visual weight.

I agree you need to either paint those wall switches - they are kind of oddly placed, and painting them out to the wall color will help.

Now that you have added more lamps to the space, you can turn off the overhead lighting. That is fine for cleaning time, but doesnÂt do justice to your lovely furnishings or the ambience of the space.

Just wondering if you have thought about pressing out your curtains so that they hang a bit fuller and softer?

Again, you have a lovely place, and many wonderful pieces. All the little details will really give you a room that shines!

• alicate
    13 years ago

As I see it from the pics, you have an entire corner to turn that piano around. That would be the first thing I'd do.

Second, how about these print ideas:http://fineartamerica.com/featured/piano-repairs-sarah-kathleen-peck.html and http://fineartamerica.com/featured/the-piano-keys-original-sarah-kathleen-peck.html.

• giggles1
    13 years ago

I'm new to this forum & not a decorator by any means, but thought I'd throw in my 2cents.

It's a large wall by your piano. I would make 3 plaques from vintage sheet music (or, newer ones tea-stained). Tall, but skinny would make the eye see the wall much higher.

Use one of your complimentary colors to run a rose or something across all 3. That would give the area some "punch". Or, place some antique keys on each, maybe in a wavy line pattern across all 3 for a flow-feel to connect the 3. I would look at some musical scrapbook pages for ideas... a wall is just a page.

Then again, that's just me.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    13 years ago

Here's another thought (w/o knowing your room dimension and if it's doable): Put the couch where the blank wall is now. Put the 2 chairs where the couch is now. Move the piano to where the 2 chairs are now, facing into the room. This would put the furniture together on one side, making a nice conversation area, and a nice view of the piano.

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

If you like Botanicals, then Ballard's has some great sepia botanical prints. You could do two large or a series of the smaller OR find something similar!

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

Also, if I may ask, what is the pretty color on your walls? Very soft. I love it!

• teacats
    13 years ago

I wonder how a mirror like this one MIGHT look above the mantel .... I was thinking of a starburst or sunburst style .... with a touch of gold to work with the gorgeous sconces ...

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• dawnp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So much help and gret ideas! I'm truly grateful!

Homebodymom- I love your home. Glad to hear from you!
    Mary Lu - thanks for the piano theme idea. I might like to use that on a smaller scale

Les- Wow! Great input and you really verbalized what it wrong with the room - it's way off balance. I love that tapestry but am concerned about the blues not coordinating. The color in my room is an aqua of sorts with definite green in it. Do you really think it would go? I already opened the piano - looks better! I will work on moving it some but will have to wait until we have male company. It is SO HEAVY! I fluffed and opened up the drapes more. I moved the chair with the ottoman more into the room and put the palm behind that chair back in the corner for now. It's a live plant and needs the light from the windows. Once it dies,(which it will!)I will look for some type of artificial plant for the other corner of the room as you suggest. I moved the round pillow to the chair. I always knew it was wrong for that couch - not sure why I just left it there! I really like the plate idea. I just would want something that has a bit of the blue/green of my room in it. I really like other people's rooms that do not match perfectly but I just don't know how to do that! Originally, that patterned leggy chair was intended to go on the other side of the room in the empty space. We ended up putting it where it is now because it looks great at the entrance to the room (near front entry). This is contributing to the off-balance in the room. The round table helps fill a rather empty corner. The fabric is brown velvet. What I might try is a topper in a nice fabric to lighten it up. I'm not sure if I've covered all the bases but I am carefully considering your comments.

Giggles - I like the idea of the sheet music art. I actually think I might take our wedding song and do that - but probably just one framed piece placed somewhere in the room.

Gracie - I think the piano has to stay in that corner. If you were in the room you would see. It's hard to tell with pictures sometimes.

Kmcg- Like those prints! I hadn't thought of looking at Ballrd's art. Good idea! Thank you. The color of the room is SW Croissant. It's a great, warm tan. I have it in my master bath as well.

Teacats - You know, I was thinking about a mirror like that when Les suggested that I had a lot of rectangles in the room. I think I am just going to have to order some things and return whatever doesn't work!

Thanks again!

• dawnp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm so excited!

As I was looking online for starburst mirrors, I remembered that I had this 60's wooden clock that belonged to my husband's grandmother. My husband took it off the wall of her livingroom for sentimental reasons when her house was put on the market after she died a few years ago.

It's really nice - made of wood.

She was a dear and it would be sentimental to me as well.

What do you think? It is just leaning up against the wall. It fits the space top to bottom perfectly.

• teacats
    13 years ago

BINGO!!!

LOL!

Well I think it is just the right touch -- and a heartfelt one too!

Well found! :)

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• dawnp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Jan!

I wouldn't have even thought of it without you!

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Wow, that clock looks amazing! Perfect! Talk about serendipity! You & Teacats make a great team!

Your fireplace woodwork is beautiful! Love the light fixtures too.

• caminnc
    13 years ago

That mirror is TDF, Granny sure had good taste!

• claire_de_luna
    13 years ago

I just popped in and saw your post. Your vintage clock hit it right out of the ball park! It qualifies as a ''Best Accessory'' for your reuse of a classic and a 'sweet' MCM family piece. You couldn't have found anything better if you were trying...apparently your living room needed what you already had!

• cpartist
    13 years ago

bingo on the clock and i think les had some excellent ideas. Also don't be afraid to mix different blues. It's called a monochromatic color scheme. As long as they're near on the color wheel and you're not using very grayed ones with very brightly colored blue/greens, you'll be fine.

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Love the clock. It's different. Your neighbors won't have one. ;D

If you are still interested in doing a grouping of architectural pictures, there are websites that have releases, so you can print the photographs. See link below for one.

I started collecting vintage and antique architectural etchings after visiting Europe years ago. Most of the ones in my stairwell feature bridges. A have a collection of framed photographs in a downstairs hallway of European buildings - up close, to show detail (below). Had them framed locally. Bought photos locally as well. But I also shop etsy and ebay.

• juliekcmo
    13 years ago

I ADORE the clock on the fireplace . Sensational.

I have a few things you might consider for the other areas. First, the size of round table next to the sofa...could you possibly get a larger size? That might balance the piano a little better.

As for art on the wall, I think you might see if your area has an "antique mall" where you can look for some art. If you have never been to one, most of what they have isn't expensive antiques; it's items that people buy at estate sales and then re-sell at their booth at the antique mall. It is the first place I look for accessories. I can almost always find just the perfect thing, already framed, for less than just the image somewhere else.

• oceanna
    13 years ago

I like what you have done so far. The bunnies are so cute on your hearth!

Got a crochet hook? Hmmm?

Betcha never thought of doing this:

Liberace, eat your heart out!

Seriously, did you look in the Gallery in the Living Rooms thread? You will find tons of inspiration photos there.