SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hrdlabr

Which panel to use to feed subpanel?

hrdlabr
17 years ago

I have two 200a main panels. One is an FPE Stab-Lok that is original to the house (1954). The other is a GE and was installed for a major addition in 1994. The GE is nearly full with only one full size slot available. The FPE panel is about 2/3 full as electricians have rerouted circuits to the newer panel during various renovation and remodeling projects. I plan to have the FPE replaced as a part of a master bath remodel in 2-3 years.

In the mean time, I am adding four circuits to a 2nd floor/attic that leaches power already from one over utilized 1st floor circuit. The walls are off, so nows the time to get it over with. I want to put in a subpanel for the second floor circuits. The GE panel is a 100 foot cable run to the nearest suitable place for a subpanel. The FPE panel is only 25 feet and a FAR easier pull. Would it be crazy to run the feeder from the FPE panel? I don't know how exaggerated or factual the whole FPE hazard issue is, but if it's not an idiotic move, I'd like to run the feed to it for a while until I can get it replaced. The shorter run and ability to balance the power between the panels makes this compelling. Are the 'new' FPE dbl poles from the local supply house less likely to be an issue?

Comments (6)