SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diymadness

Wilmington Tan too dark?

diymadness
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am trying to decide on a new color for my living room/dining room. I'm doing a total renovation of this room, which hasn't been touched since the seventies, so it's a total mess, or I would post pictures.

Anyway, I love warm, natural colours, so I was thinking of a caramel colour on three walls, with a rust red on one wall to define the dining area. I picked up a sample pot of WIlmington Tan (which I discovered on this site). I thought it would be perfect -- it's such a rich, complex, warm color. But after I painted swatches on the white walls, I thought it looked too dark. Maybe it's partly the contrast to the white walls, but I'm feeling nervous about it.

THis is a large, north-facing room. It has patio doors and a big picture window, but it still doesn't get any dirst sunlight. The floors will be medium-toned hardwood.

Any thoughts? I know that there are lots of nice "buff" colours that are lighter forms of tan. But I don't want to end up with "beige," you know? I am a colour person and I don't like things to be too neutral and safe. Is there a lighter tan that is still rich and interesting? Does anyone who has Wilmington Tan in their home have any thoughts on whether it feels dark in real life?

Thanks so much!

Comments (15)