SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jan_in_wisconsin

More Help Needed (PICS)

jan_in_wisconsin
12 years ago

Okay, so I'm heading out to look for a better fabric match for the Euro shams, as suggested in the other thread I posted. If I can't find anything similar to the example by Les, I will probably order samples and put off that part of the project.

So far, I have repainted using SW Whole Wheat, which is a great color. For those of you who saw the thread about the paint matching fiasco, the paint store did modify it and agreed that they hadn't matched the color well initially. I'm much more satisfied now.

I purchased new bedding, which I love. It is linen, very heavy, and well made. The duvet cover (queen size) is 96" x 96", though, which is larger than our queen down comforter.

I found some nice vintage bedside tables, originally painted in a chippy, white look. I repainted them a duck egg blue shade.

The mirrors are a Craigslist discovery, and I antiqued them. They are not yet mounted on the wall. I just leaned them for now to get an idea of how they will look.

The draperies and lamp shades are new - burlap from PB. I'm going for a sort of rustic, French country, something look.

I do not plan to repaint the bed, per the thoughts of most of you who responded about this previously.

Is the burlap working? I like its texture and that it gives that rustic element. I wanted the draperies and walls to recede and let the bedding be the primary color and print.

Here's a close-up of the bedding with the burlap drapery fabric:

If you don't like the burlap, would one of these linen/cotton options work better?

Comments (68)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I like your mirrors a lot and really think they will work well once you put them up. I am intrigued by Les's suggestion of turning them upside down, but can't quite picture it (even went so far as to turn my computer upside down to help me visualize it-ha). I think I like them right-side-up. Maybe a shade without seaming would work better-more simple.

I would go ahead and hang the mirrors and then decide on the lampshade.

Your room is coming together wonderfully IMHO, but then I also like a mix of styles and am definitely not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. I say, go with your gut. You can always tweak it if you find youy aren't thrilled---but keep those mirrors! :)

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

valinsv - Thanks, I may be able to find a smaller version of the same lamp shade. I would like to keep the mirrors. Otherwise, they are another expensive blunder on my part. IRL, they do appear less stark than in the pictures posted. I thought I could tie in their creaminess with the cream accents in the bedding.

yaya - If you have the same paint color with the burlap in your home, and you think it works, that makes me feel better about it. The warm burlap tones also pick up on the wood tones in the bed and side dresser. I hadn't thought of painting the mirrors the same color as the walls. At this point, I'm open to all options to make them work.

Les - thanks for going the extra mile with the cutting and taping. It sounds like you think the biggest issue with the mirrors is their ornateness. Turning the mirrors upside down would solve that issue, although, they are pretty thick (probably between 2" and 3"), so I'm not sure how that would look from the side view of the master bath, say, which is to the left in the picture shown.

What if I accent the bedside table more with the creamy color of the mirror? I could paint the recessed arches of the caged doors and even the caging so that they go better with the mirrors. Maybe something like this, but in cream, versus green:

I could also paint the lamp base cream and then sand to distress through to the bronze-brown tones. I like those tones, as I think they match the bed.

I could paint the bed the distressed cream color too, but I was hoping to avoid that if possible, as not only is it a big task, but I also have a matching dresser to consider.

Thanks for the encouragement. I appreciate it. This stuff just isn't coming easily for me, and I guess the trial-and-error nature is all part of the game. It always looks so effortless when someone else does a great job. I'm a CPA by trade, so I really enjoy this creative outlet and numerical diversion. But . . . I have a long way to go, obviously.

cindyloo - No, the top of the nightstand is not painted differently from the rest of it. However, I'm now considering accenting it more with the cream paint.

arcy - You're right about the bedding I'm using being more of a focal point than the inspiration pictures. The bedside tables are narrower than the inspiration pictures, so the mirrors are too. Both sides of the bed will be identical. Unfortunately, the room is in such disarray right now after painting the room and the furniture. I'll try to post something soon.

rucnmom - I see what you're saying about the seaming in the lamp shade. As I said, I'm quite open at this point to making changes. The problem is that one thing affects another, which affects another, etc. I'm not really going for a contemporary look.

• Related Discussions

Back for more help/advise please. . . (pics)

Q

Comments (13)
    When I look at an African violet plant, the first thing I notice are the blooms if there are any. The next thing I look at is the shape of the plant. Knowing that a symmetrical rosette is the ideal, I try to see if that is somewhere in the plant. One night in Fay Wagman's growing room, sitting on a bucket of dirt, I watched her repot some plants. She looks at the plant from above, says 'there is a perfect plant in here somewhere' and then proceeds to remove outer leaves until she has that symmetrical plant. I was in awe! Some people will use sheets of paper, laying them over leaves to get them 'out of the picture' so they can see the symmetry, or at least as close as possible. Some people use their hands to gently cover the leaves. Sometimes, especially on a younger plant, you won't have a 'round' symmetry, but a triangular result. Leaves come out in threes, generally spaced equidistant on the plant. The next set of three will be offset from the first, and so on, until the plant is mature enough to appear round. No, I don't show, but I go to shows whenever I can. The Bay State show is next Saturday and Sunday, and I'll be there to work, observe, dream, lust, shop, make new friends and greet old ones. I have ONE more plant to repot, and I will have completed repotting all my plants. I am pretty ruthless when I repot, and rarely move plants up into a larger pot because of the leaves I remove. I also 'culled' my collection somewhat, tossing out some that just never did very well. Now I'm down to 133 that are 'independent living' on wicks and reservoirs. (I have probably another 100 that are under humidity domes for a couple of weeks, and about 20 trays of stuff that needs to be separated.) I should have taken some pictures of befores and afters, for there were some amazing transformations from butt ugly to absolutely perfect. For me, I can get absolutely weepy when I see that perfect symmetry. And sometimes, you just have to live with an out of kilter plant for a while....... Barbara
    ...See More

Need more help to post pics

Q

Comments (4)
    Kaysu, where are the pictures now? In PhotoBucket or a different site? WHen we post from Photobucket, we do as red said and copy the text from the middle box under the pic INTO THIS PART of the post, not the link part below. Then when you click PREVIEW you'll see if it worked. The computer sees the code and knows what to. If it's not in PhotoBucket let us know and we can tell you another method.
    ...See More

What does this kitchen need cont... more pics

Q

Comments (29)
    I would first get rid of that odd round column by the kitchen(and the one across the room), and replace them with a square post so that it matches the one by the island and on the other side. It looks odd, like the builder couldn't get the square one and so just stuck it there. I like the Spanish Olive, tho it reads very grey on my monitor. But I don't see the Dutch Cocoa as the oomph. A very pink brown, and I think it will just fight with the dark floors and all the dark cabinets in the kitchen. If you love purple, consider doing a very rich purple, perhaps SW Soulmate. Then do a greener olive tone for the kitchen, to offset the wood cabinetry. I would love to see the second pix cropped so that everything to the left of the person in the ski jacket disappears. Then hang that vertical photo above the desk. Bring in some orange accents to the kitchen, which also work well with purple and olive tones. The cropped pix will bring focus to the brasserie and the buildings, and the orange accents will make the art pop from the wall. The area with the chaise, couch and coffeetable seems very crowded together. You ideally should have 14-18 inches between the seating and the table, and you don't appear to have that, at least not between the chaise and the table. I wonder if you would consider trying a rearrangement? I would like to see the couch placed where the chaise is now, with the sofa table behind it. Run the coffeetable parallel to the couch. Then place the chaise at a right angle to that, facing the fireplace and tv, with it's 'back' to the kitchen. Because you are using the chaise there, it shouldn't feel like you are isolating the LR from the kitchen, because the chaise has the low back. Move the low console at the left of the fireplace to the right side, so it doesn't feel crowded in with the couch there. I would love to see the first pix you posted hung where the mirror is now, on the left wall by the fireplace. The mirror doesn't really seem to fit there - it doesn't reflect anything but the opposite corner, and I don't think I see a table or anything below to anchor it. Could it find a new home in your entry or in the DR?
    ...See More

Need more help, Dining Room is starting to belong... (more pics)

Q

Comments (43)
    Well, we did it. We finally painted the DR and I'm posting pics. We had a great Thanksgiving dinner in there and I feel the room is definitely on its way. I wish I could say I am 100 per cent thrilled, but I must admit to some second thoughts about this color. It must stay as is for now, and it is definitely on the right track, but I am second guessing my decision to veer away from the Wilmington Tan. This color, Quincy Tan, transitions better to the foyer, which directly adjoins, but it reads more green than I had thought it would. This is actually the color that used to be in there and I went with it partially because I knew how well it would transition to other rooms, and that it would also provide some variety in the house; as virtually all other rooms are shades of yellow/gold. This time it's reading green; possibly because of the different surroundings. Or, it could be because of the painted stripes we did; darker shade is flat, lighter shade is eggshell. Anyway, have a look and give me your two cents. Also, as you can see, I'm considering adding some trim to the drapes. I am liking them more and more but they still seem kind of stark to me; could use some softening or something. Any ideas, as always, are most welcome! As you can see, the color changes quite a bit from bright daylight to night time.
    ...See More
  • lolauren
    12 years ago

If your goal is that you "want the draperies and walls to recede," then you need to change your draperies.

I like the burlap, but from what I can tell, they still stand out against your wall.

Can you take more photos of the room so we can help you better? Also, can you tape the fabric samples to the wall so we can see how the colors match/contrast?

I have the Peyton drape from PB in my living room.. I think I have the one on the right..... What color is that swatch?

As for the mirrors, I don't think they work for you. Sorry!! The example rooms are HUUUUUUUUGE spaces and are able to pull that off. For your room, I think your end table and mirror are too narrow (when used together) and look unbalanced. It possibly could work with a wider end table and a rectangular mirror.... Again, can you take a photo of a wider view for us to get a better idea?

• lolauren
    12 years ago

(I didn't see your reply until after I posted.... so ignore my requests for more photos :))

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lolauren - I will try to take some photos of the room after cleaning up this afternoon, including some with the samples taped to the wall. The Peyton PB drape on the right is "oatmeal".

I may have found a fabric for the Euro shams. Using your suggestions about scale and color, I found a print that is much smaller and a better match color-wise. It doesn't have the brown in it that the nice one Les posted does though.

It is slightly more greenish in person than it looks in the photo.

From a distance, it reads quite solid:

I like the Euros propped in the back, as I think the blue fabric will offset the wood of the headboard better than the brown background of the bedding.

You can also see that the seams don't show on the lamp really unless it is turned on.

I realize I'm taking a risk by mixing styles. I would love to frame these farm prints in fancy frames, for example, and use them over the long dresser.

I'll post more pictures later today.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Posting more pictures, as requested, of the whole room, after tidying up. The room is about 18' x 14', has doors for the entry, two walk-in closets, and the master bath. I have no idea what the strange light shapes are in a number of the photos. My camera must be on the fritz. Remember that the mirrors are leaning now since they are not yet mounted.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

I think this all is going to look fantastic! Yes, even the animal photos. Wow.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now looking at the photos, I'm wondering how it would work to antique the mirrors much more heavily with the dark wax, getting it to show up more in the grooves. The wax is a dark, dark, chocolate brown. Maybe that would make a difference. I know more heavy antiquing was mentioned here. What do you think?

Trying to keep my chin up . . .

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

Ooooh, it looks GREAT. Don't paint the bed. The only thing that is not working yet is the mirror, table, lamp combo and in all three cases it's just a matter of the finishes used.

I think the mirrors are going to work fine, but I think the addition of some kind of architectural interest over the headboard, is needed to tie the STYLE aspect together.

Now the question is, how to tie the finishes of the tables, lamp, and mirror together. Obviously you can paint them to make them look like they came together. A combination of blue and white paint on each piece. If that is too matchy for you, I'm not sure what else might do the job.

At first I thought the problem was that the only clear color you had in the room was the white base of the mirrors. Now that I see the whole room, and the repetition of the white, I see that the white base can work. In fact, maybe it already does work! I've love to see the mirrors hung and then a good pic of them which also shows the white doors.

Stick some white fabric (a doily, hand towel, etc.) on top of the tables to see if bringing some white down to the tables will make a difference. I think it will, but you'll have to decide what part of the table you want to change.

The new sham fabric looks PERFECT. I can't see putting smaller pillows behind larger ones though. I think you will find that you want the new fabric to break up the pattern between the comforter and the matching shams. You'll see once you've got the pillows made.

I don't think you need to make any major changes. I would keep those mirrors, but blend them into the room with more scrolly things, lol. You are almost there. You just need to do some tweaking and you'll get it where you want it.

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

To keep from getting overwhelmed, take it one step at a time. Get the bed exactly the way you want it. Then, before doing anything else with the tables, etc. if you are sure you are keeping the mirrors I'd try to find something for over the bed. When you get that piece, you may find that it leads you to a finish solution for the tables and mirrors. But get it before you do any more painting, so you know in advance what that whole wall is going to have on it structure wise. That knowledge may effect your color choices.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

cindyloo - Thanks so much for coming back and posting follow-ups. I like the sham fabric too - the color is as perfect as it could get, and the print is much smaller and plays nicer with the pattern of the bedding. Do you think I don't need the Euros then? I also was looking to break up the brown of the bedding and the wood headboard.

Looking at the finish of the mirrors in the context of the whole room helps, as the creamy white woodwork is everywhere.

Do you have any thoughts about using scrollwork over the bed? I have seen some architectural decor items at Hobby Lobby which could be painted and hung above some pictures or something. They look like something would be needed beneath them.

I am definitely feeling overwhelmed. I took on the whole room. The only things that stayed were the bed and dresser and the carpet. I changed everything else.

I've spent the last few weeks hunting for various things, ordering, returning, etc., etc. My hubby helped me paint the room and has been a good sport, even though he thought the room was fine before.

Your advice about a step at a time is definitely helpful. My thoughts keep jumping from thing to thing, and I can't seem to make any decisions because everything depends on everything else, and round and round I go!

If you have example ideas or visuals, I would love to see.

Thanks!

• kturner
    12 years ago

I think your room looks great! The blue sham fabric looks perfect with your bedding. I have the exact same bed and have been trying to redo my own bedroom. I can understand the ups and downs of the whole process -- it can be overwhelming! Keep posting pics, anxious to see what you come up with next! Love the drapes too!

• les917
    12 years ago

The weird shapes on the wall are light reflecting on the angled mirror, with the lamp and shade cutting off the reflection in the middle.

You have a lovely room. But the white mirrors still overpower the nightstands imo, both by being so stark compared to everything around them, and by being so ornate and heavy in feel.

What about painting them the same blue as the nightstands and using them over the dresser?

I think the drapes look great! I would extend the rods a bit, tho, so that the drapery comes out a bit more past the window - you can see the window trim behind every one of them at the top, which you should not be able to see.

I would then center the dresser more between the drapery and the corner. I really think it would be worth propping the mirrors there for a try.

A stack of the farm animal prints would be good on the wall between the bath and the door. Burlap matting would be nice. Not the pix of the sheep's butt, tho. :-)

Then a beautiful landscape painting above the bed, something of the French countryside to tie in with your overall feel and the animal prints. Or maybe this "Two Haystacks" print by Monet:

two haystacks by monet

• User
    12 years ago

Can you paint the bed a dark brown? I think the current honey color is a bit country looking for the fabrics and other furnishings. I think the other painted pieces would look better with it if it were painted also.

Love the pin dot fabric, that was inspired!

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

kturner - I think I saw your post on another thread, and I remember thinking that you have the same bed. I think I will get that fabric for the pillows, but I still need to decide if I'm doing Euros in the back or just some smaller ones in the front, or a little of both.

Les - You're one of my favorite folks on this board, and I always appreciate your thoughts, because I've been around here long enough to know that you've really got a gift.

I hadn't thought of placing the mirrors over the dresser. If they fit, that could be an option. I'll have to get DH to help try it out, as they are super heavy.

I'm glad you like the drapes. After hanging them and living with them for a few days, I'm very happy with them too. You're right about the rods. I plan to get new ones, probably including a corner type because the corner windows are so tight it's hard to fit two separate rods there. The rods in place are the ones I had before with some white sheers.

I would like the dresser centered too. The only issue is the closet door opening. Although, I don't open it that wide ordinarily, and it does have a stopper there too.

I love the sheep picture the best, but not the butt part - lol. Oh boy, I know my tastes aren't as refined as some. Hopefully that part can be cropped out.

I love the Monet haystacks print. There's nothing by Monet that I don't like. Thanks for the idea!

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

I'm new here & I'm gonna try not to throw a wrench into things for you, Jan...

I think you're okay on the 80/20 rule (80% of one style, 20% of another) & I love the texture of the burlap. I think I would've mounted the curtains so that they almost touch the ceiling & put bamboo shades underneath, preferably inside mounted. This will create depth & make the ceilings look taller. It would also help to balance the height with the mirrors. I also would antique the mirrors a little more cause the stark white is making the scale look even larger. It may also be that it all looks better in person. Also, when a room is in progess, it just will not read well.

Here's what I see so far, in addition to what I've said: 1. Wondering why the dresser is on the wall to the right of the bed instead of across from the bed. I would've placed the dresser there, then put a chair & table next to the window.

2. Wondering what the plan is for the narrow wall to the left of the bed...I'm thinking bookcase???

3. I see no metal finishes in the room other than a dull bronze, which is making the room look flat. So adding some antique gold in the mirrors & having the hardware on the nightstands an antique gold would be great.

4. Wondering if a textured faux finish (SW's Quartz???) wouldn't give more depth to the room.

5. I would have a narrow horizontal picture over the bed.

6. Perhaps a blue coverlet at the end of the bed.

7. Definitely a floor plant for softness in the corner window is called for.

8. I'm thinking that maybe the tops of the nightstands should be silver or a stone that is cut to fit. And I think I would replace the grills in front with burlap.

You're on your way!!! Getter done!!!

• gwbr54
    12 years ago

I think the room is going to look great! If you want to fool around with the bedside lamps, here's a couple:

Maybe this kind of lampshade on your lamps:

Or maybe a different lamp?:

I could also see white sheers filling in the space between the linen drapes.

• nc_sandyfeet
    12 years ago

Jan-First let me say I LOVE your room. I usually lurk here, but I just was so inspired by your room, I just had to post!
    I love all your fabrics, inc the small print. I agree with most of the posters here that the euro shams are not nec. but if you like them, go for it! The animal pics made me laugh! I love a sense of humor in decorating! The only suggestion I would make is that the bedside table seem out of scale to me. If the tables were a little larger, maybe they would balance the heaviness of the mirrors(Which I love), and painted and waxed to match the mirrors. Then you add accessories in that lovely blue color. Good luck and keep trying. I know you can make this work!
    Sandy

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    12 years ago

Jumping in late to say you have a lovely room! And I think you have a fine eye for design too. The mirrors are beautiful and they will look wonderful when you mount them.

One possibility I want to throw out there is wallpaper the bed wall only. A subtle damask or Fleur De Lis paper would tie in the scrolls and give importance to that area.

• kristinekr
    12 years ago

I think the room is going to turn out great! I really like the bedding and love all 3 of the farm pics. The sheep butt would make me laugh so I would probably keep it in the pic.

The curtains look fine to me. I prefer rings to rod pocket, so if it were me, I would raise the rod and use rings. I do like the texture of the burlap--but wonder how a deeper silk blue would look.

As far as the mirrors and night stands--I think the scale will work if you get a taller more narrow lamp shade.

Right now the colors seem too different--you see Blue table, White mirror, Brown furniture. I would make the table and mirror relate better by doing both the table and mirror in the same color (white or blue) or add more white to the tables so it relates better to the white mirror. Or maybe the mirror in a bronze metallic that would coordinate with your lamp, curtain rods, and hardware on the dresser, and the brown of your furniture--not sure how that would look--many times what i see in my head does not translate into looking great in real life.

• busybee3
    12 years ago

i think you're room is looking great!!!

i normally am not a fan of white---i like contrast, but i don't like stark. but, for whatever reason, the mirrors are not bothering me at all! i like them! lol alittle more wax would prob be fine, but that wouldn't be my priority.
    what i don't like at all is the little white pulls on the bedside tables-i would change them to orb or antiqued something!
    i do also like the pic of the taller lampshades that gwbr54 shows.

ideally, i would raise the curtains abit...3" would be a big improvement, imo...unless the curtains are the perfect length where they are- if that's the case, i would add crown molding! lol

the burlap looks fine i think- i don't think i'd like the oatmeal color in your room. if you're unhappy with the burlap, i would get all new samples-don't think any of the 4 shown would look better. ...i think woven woods with a liner and then thin, gauzey(or something) panels of some type would look really nice-in a blue or dark cream---but may be more $ than you're really interested in spending!

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ncsandyfeet - Thanks for posting. I had thought about painting the bedside tables to match the mirrors, but then I didn't really think I wanted them to match so much. At this point, I'm highly leaning toward accenting the bedside tables with white in the door recesses, around the drawers and on the top. The detail is hard to see in the pictures, but if I do that, hopefully the cream will carry through and the two will look more connected. I love the mirrors too. I purchased them before I had the bedside tables, and they are tall. But they're unique and interesting, so I want to keep them.

deedee - What a neat idea to wallpaper. I love the print you showed. The walls are textured, so that could cause an issue unless properly treated. It's great to have options. Somehow, it will all come together, I think. The ideas keep evolving.

kristinekr - I forgot to mention in my earlier posts that the curtain rods will be swapped out. They are what was there prior, but I didn't want to get new ones until I was sure about the draperies. I like rings too, and I would like to raise the curtains higher as well. I probably have a few inches to play with considering both the rings and the extra length on the floor. I'm working on how to better tie the tables and mirrors together and leaning toward creamy accents on the tables.

busybee - Thank you. IRL, the mirrors don't look as stark as in the photos. I can easily change the pulls on the bedside tables. They were that color when I got them and they could be stripped to their original antique metal. I've been liking the burlap panels the longer they've been hung.

gwbr - I love the lamps in the first picture especially. What an improvement with the narrower, but taller shades! You've inspired me to find something like that.

• erinsean
    12 years ago

You have a lovely room but when I look, I see the contrast between the mirrors and night stands. To me, they should be the same color...preferably the color of the mirrors. Right now the mirrors look sort of "bulky" but if the stands were the same color, it would blend better.

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

These latest pics are wonderful and really give us a better grasp of what you are trying to accomplish. I love your vision for this room and definitely think you are on the right track. The burlap curtains look good in the larger scheme of things. I like InteriorStylist's suggestions to mount the drapes higher so that they will be higher than your mirrors when mounted on the wall. I would add some more of the dark wax to the mirrors before I considering painting them another color. I also am not a fan of the white hardware on the nightstands so would use some rustoleum in more of a bronze or antique gold. Painting the grilles of even putting some paper/fabric behind would look nice as it would obscure the contents. I'd figure that piece out before finalizing the fabric for the euros. I'd love to see a bench at the base of the bed as in your inspiration pics. This is also another opportunity to work in another pattern into the room.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

kswl - Your thoughts about painting the bed a dark brown are interesting. I know the honey tones are on the country side. I have seen some French country pieces in that tone, though. But, maybe it's the combination of the wood tone and the style that make it look more country. That's why I'm trying to mix it up a bit so that I'm not locked into only one narrow look. I would probably need to Photoshop to be sure before making a big change like that. I'm really gun-shy now, as I went through all the work to paint the bedside tables, only to learn that maybe they shouldn't be that color.

InteriorStylist - Love your ideas, and I will address your questions. Regarding the dresser placement, the dresser is quite long, and there are two walk-in closet doors along the wall opposite the bed. I'm not sure how tight a fit it would be. I can check that though. Otherwise, as Les suggested, I can move the dresser further to the right, and there would probably be space for a chair in the corner window area. I would love a reading nook there. I don't have a chair to put there yet, though. I have no clue what to put on the wall to the left of the bed. A bookcase would be great, as we love to read, and we have a ton of books. The question would be - what style and finish for the bookcase? I'm struggling with the few pieces I have in the room. If I remove the paint on the bedside table hardware, I believe the original finish is an antique bronze of some sort. They were painted when I got them. I'm not sure how I would go about incorporating antique gold on the mirrors. I'm not experienced with that. But I like the idea of adding some more sparkle. A faux finish would be great. I wouldn't attempt it myself for fear of it looking to amateurish, or worse. I would love a narrow horizontal picture over the bed. I wasn't sure whether I should use one with the mirrors or not. A blue coverlet and floor plant sound great. The blue is tricky to match, but I have samples in my purse, so if I'm ever out and about and find something, I can check it. It's hard for me to envision the silver or stone tops for the nightstands. It sounds nice. I'm not sure how to go about using burlap in place of the grills on the nightstands.

grandma - I'm still pondering what to do with the mirrors/tables in terms of their finishes. I really wanted to use the pretty blue.

valinsv - Thanks for the encouragement. I have certainly overwhelmed myself with all of this, and I really want to see it through. I realize that not everyone will think it looks great, but I'm aiming for the best I can do with my time, skills, and funds. I will mount the draperies higher, and I can try additional waxing/antiquing of the mirrors. Maybe I'll try some cream or burlap fabric behind the grills. I would like to conceal the contents to keep it clean looking. The hardware will not be hard to change. Just trying to figure out the proper finishes for the main parts of the furniture first. A bench would be great. The room is pretty empty and needs accessories big time. That's also usually a challenge for me.

• User
    12 years ago

Oh, yay more pictures!!! :)

I think those burlap drapes are wonderful and think they'll look even better once you get the new rods adjusted as mentioned.

Now that I'm seeing it all together something about the mirrors look off to me but I don't really know what. I think they kind of fight with the nighstands. Maybe it would look better to darken them a bit more but I think they could also look nice above the dresser and have the cool prints over by the bed. I also think the nightstand handles would look better dark.

I really like the lamps but think they look a little short maybe.

I think it would look nice to have something at the bottom of the bed.

Oh, don't paint your pretty bed! I think the bed reads rustic along with the burlap curtains.

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

I agree with Les that the white is overpowering the tables and I'd like to see how they might look over the dresser. I will say though that twin ornate mirrors over a dresser is going to scream "Mediterranean" at me. I already know that I'd prefer to see those two mirrors hung separately.

I'm starting to think the mirrors and tables are reading more French Provincial than French Country. Maybe that is why some people don't think the bed and dresser work with them. Perhaps the solution is to make them a bit more country. What about hand painting or stenciling them? http://tinyurl.com/3u334s4 And what if you did the same thing (not necessarily matching) in water based paints, on your other pieces as well? It would come right off later if you wanted it to.

Interior Stylist is picking up on the same issue. Replacing the grills with burlap, would take the tables from Provincial to Country. And I agree, that bamboo shades would be a benefit.
    But I digress. Back to the color possibilities.
    If you keep the mirrors where they are, I think they need to be painted with at least some darker color on them. And if you put the dark paint on the outer edges of the mirror frame, it will really stand out against your walls.

What color other than the white will look nice? Right now I see your palette as blue/green and brown. Take some scissors to a paint store and mix and match colors by using paint chips. Find the chips that match your table color, your wall color, and maybe your curtain color'your current palette. Make up multiple sets of these chips. Then start looking to see what other color looks best with them. Compare how it looks with white, the dark grey from the comforter, a much darker version of the table color, a shade of beige or brown, etc..

Or do you want to introduce an entirely new color? I'm thinking the browns, greys and whites all read as neutrals and the room might be able to take another color? I defer to the experts here on that, lol.

But if you could go with an entirely new color, what would you like? The standard compliment to your "fixed palette" would be peach, but that pallet screams 80's to me. But a deeper version of peach, a color value similar to the blue/green in the table, might work.

Of course if you add a new color to the mirror/table combo, you will need to inject is someplace else, but a single pillow, vase, etc. will do it.

Once you have some idea of a color you might like to use, do a rough draft using the color. Either buy the $2.50 jar they sell to sample the color, or go to Michaels and find the closest match in an acrylic water base craft paint at about 25 cents per bottle. Soap and water will remove either paint as long as you don't let it cure too long.

You said you wanted to break of the "brown of the bedding" against the headboard. That brown is reading almost black on my pc and it looks fine against the headboard. I would love to see all of the pattern broken up with some smaller pillows made out of that nice small print.

There are lots of ways to get some scrollwork/architectural interest over the bed. A very ornate picture frame would work. Or, you can use one or more architectural (metal or wooden) wall hangings, either "bare" or with something in front of them. For example, you can put a dried flower arrangement over the piece, a picture, almost anything you would normally hang on a wall can simply use the architectural piece as a background. What about a shelf with ornate corbels?

As for the wallpaper, what do you mean your walls are textured? I'm a paper hangar so I can advise you on that.

This is not even my room and I'm getting overwhelmed by all the suggestions here, lol. But I think it's great that you are given so many options. I am now on the edge of my seat to see how it all turns out!

• loribee
    12 years ago

My gosh, your room is stunning, especially your burlap drapes. I would bite the bullet and HANG the mirrors.
    I think you will see a difference once they are hung...

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

shee - I'm glad the drapes are working. Most seem to agree about that - yes! I do like them now more than at first. They were a big change from the pale sheers I had, and I was having a hard time adjusting. I'm probably going to paint some creamy accents on the tables to tie them in better with the mirrors and see how that works.

cindyloo - Part of the issue is that the mirrors do look much more stark in the pics than IRL. The camera flash brightens them beyond their reality. So, they don't look as contrasting in person. But, I still think I can do better with them somehow. I'm hesitant to put them above the dresser because of the Mediterranean thing, as you said. Plus they are extremely tall, and over the dresser, I'm quite sure they'd nearly touch the ceiling. They're 55" tall. I love your ideas about experimenting with color. I live in the midwest, and the walls are often roughly plastered here. So, they have a lot of texture. Maybe I can take a close-up picture to give you a better idea.

loribee - LOL - I better hang those darn mirrors before I hang myself over all of this!!! Ha! Ha!

• gwbr54
    12 years ago

I say be true to your vision -- it's been great so far! Love the blue bedside chests and the white mirrors just as they are (I mean, with mirrors hung!)

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

Agree with shee, don't paint your lovely bed. Prefer mirrors over nightstands than over the dresser. Can't wait to see them hung. Try taking pics without a flash as it will show the colors more true to life, esp. the mirrors which you say are not photographing as they really look. Also, don't turn the lamps on in daytime. Would love to see an evening shot, though with the lamps on so we can compare both how it looks in daytime (no flash, lamps off) and nighttime (flash, drapes closed, and lamps on). This will help us see better what you see and if the mirrors are fine as-is or need more antiquing.

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

The lamps suggested by gbwr54 are PERFECT!!! (I think these are Uttermost lamps???) The leaner & taller size are much more scale appropriate. I would definitely get these Jan as long as the they are adjustable so that the higher shade can be on the right or left.

Don't paint the bed. Keep the mirrors over the nightstands. I'm really really seeing granite tops on those nightstands. You can find granite "scraps" at any granite fabrication place REAL cheap. I can't tell how those grilles on the nightstands are attached...you may need to do surgery!!! But I think the burlap would help soften them. And I'm really gonna be insistant on getting those pulls back to the probable antique gold finish.

If you have 2 1/2 - 3' space between the dresser & footboard, you'll be fine with the dresser being opposite the bed. If not, we really need to decide what to do with that wall.

Whatever you add now needs to have CLEAN LINES. If you add anything else scrolly or ornate, the room will look chaotic. Those mirrors' ornate-ness needs to stand on their own. So any bookcases or other choices need to have clean lines & I would do white to repeat the white of the mirrors.

I'm posting what I feel is what you should have over the bed to "connect" the mirrors. It's a simple stretched canvas 60x20. I liked your idea of something whimsical like farm animals. LOVE the texture of stretched canvas prints.

~ Jeana Joseph (everyone can call me Jeana - "InteriorStylist" seems too impersonal)

Here is a link that might be useful: art.com

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

gwbr - I appreciate your encouragement here. I've surely succeeded in overwhelming myself. I could relate to the decorating out of fear blog post someone else here mentioned in another thread. Your visuals really help me envision different lamps, and they really make a big difference. I love them!

val - I'll try to post other pictures without the flash and at both day and evening times, as you suggested. I work a lot during the week, so maybe this weekend I can get to that. I'm sure it would make some difference in appearance.

jeana - I love both sets of lamps posted by gwbr54, but was leaning toward the first ones. Either is nice, though, and I hope I can find at least one of the options in the right size. The lamps I have there are taller than most bedside lamps, which I wanted due to the height of the mirrors. I will definitely check them out, as that could be one problem solved - yes!

The tops of the nightstands have really nice curves, which I don't want to lose. Are you saying the granite could be cut that way? What style/color of granite would you envision? We have several granite places nearby that probably have scrap pieces.

I would like to keep the caged insets on the nightstands, but I would also like to conceal contents under them to keep things looking cleaner. Do you think burlap or another fabric behind the caged section would look alright? Otherwise, I guess I could envision some sort of gathered burlap or cream colored fabric there. No problem changing the hardware finish on the drawer pulls.

The dresser is 68" long, and while I could fit it in that spot and still have 4' between it and the bed, it would just barely fit between lengthwise between the two walk-in closet doors. I'm not sure if that would be too crowded in appearance. Some have also suggested swapping out the dresser hardware to glass similar to those of the bedside tables.

I have a bookcase downstairs that is very plain, just squarish with three shelves and probably just a bit higher than the dresser. Maybe I could paint it and bring it up. Again, it has straight lines only and no curves. It's oak, I think, though, so it might be kind of grainy to paint.

What about a chair for the window area? Any ideas? I'm probably getting ahead of myself, as I don't feel I've completely solved the other issues just yet.

I'm still wondering about painting some accents on the bedside tables in cream colored paint to tie in better with the mirrors.

I love the cow print. It made me smile. Does the artwork need to "match" everything? The cows do, of course, in their brown, black and white. But the sky is very clear blue in that picture. I also love stretched canvas. It doesn't appear the stretched canvas comes in the 60 x 20 size, although maybe it doesn't need to be that wide either. I could try Photoshopping it.

Should I be repeating the chocolate brown in the room elsewhere too?

If I get new curtain rods, should I keep them ORB, which is the same color as our hardware throughout the house, or maybe get a painted creamy colored set of rods with some sparkly glass-like finials?

I'll be checking out sources for the lamps tonight.

Thanks again.

• gwbr54
    12 years ago

Not sure if it is clear, but the first set of lamps that I showed are Jan's -- I just put a different lamp shade on them. You can still see the original reflection in the mirror. Good luck!

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

I like the double lamps and don't think what we see in the first picture works at all. :: shrug::

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

Hi Jan - I was up till the wee hours thinking of your room. (I obsess with projects till I have an overall finished vision)But first I'll address some details we all have been discussing.

1. The cow picture - after I posted it, I saw that the stretched canvas doesn't come in the 60x20, only the print. Sorry. I think the piece should span the length of the top rail of the bed, so the 42x14 just might do it. The blue doesn't have to match exactly - it will BLEND. It's all about blending, not matching.

2. I'm almost sure the fabricator can cut the granite to the curves. Do a paper template of the top & take it with you when you go exploring the granite. I see a mostly beige background with beige gray & blue streaks. If you have the granite tops, you won't feel the need add cream paint - the cream will be the top background.

3. I really see burlap behind those grilles. You can try it flat or gathered.

4. I really see the dresser across from the bed. The fact that it will fill the space entirely is a good thing with the closets flanking it. You really need to keep the weight in the center of the room to keep it grounded. Then I would put a series of 6 prints over it, unless you're planning on having a TV on it. And I like the idea of glass knobs on the dresser - Anthropologie has some awesome ones.

5. The bookcase may not be quite the height I am wanting to see on the short wall - I'm thinking at least 48" high. Then I would put a huge charger on a stand on top in a metallic finish.

6. The chairs - you aren't getting ahead of yourself on this, cause the end result depends on them. For that right wall, I see a floor plant in the window itself. Then a pair of chairs with a small round table in the middle & an ottoman in front of that that will be shared by the chairs. Over the table will be a wall mounted swing arm lamp. Since there will probably be more negative space on the right of this vignette than the left, I would balance it out with white floating shelves placed in a graceful vertical "curve" (wish I could draw this out for you!!!)

7. The rods - I like the ones you have, just need to mount them higher & further apart.

Having the white bookcase, the white mirrors, the white shelves, & white mats on the pictures over the dresser will mean that the eye will travel around the room in a pleasing way.

Jan, I would really like to see crown molding in that room. It really doesn't cost that much. It's well worth it.

And then...hold onto your hats...I want your ceiling to be...BLUE. Yep, I said it. BLUE. ***gulp***

~Jeana

• kimiko232
    12 years ago

I have a bedroom set that I'm not super happy with the color also. How about making a slipcover to cover up the bed? I've seen them covered with just some of the wood showing and others with it completely covered up. You could do that. I think that would be nice. I also am weird about curtains. Can you move them up close to the top of the ceiling? How about a roman shade or something underneath. You could make one with one of the fabrics you will choose. I actually just sewed my fabric on to one that premade and it looks like it came that way. I found the link on here to do it. I layered that stripe roman shade underneath flowered drapes. I think it looks really pretty. My drapes are at the ceiling and my roman shade is positioned with the top right behind the drapery rod. Good luck!

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

I just don't think the granite would look right. A marble top, sure, that would be very much in keeping with French Country. But I can't see granite...it's so busy and all of the pattern in the room is on the bed. It seems like that would be a lot of pattern all in one spot.

You can certainly find someone to cut stone to any shape, with any kind of edge. But the cost is going to be astronomical. I'd rather see you use that money elsewhere in the room. Heck, if money is no object, take out the carpet and put in hardwood, that would add a lot to the French Country mood.

I'd much rather see you work with the wooden top, accentuating the edge with the paint technique you showed us. Doilies are common in French Country, so keep that in mind when you are deciding how to do the table tops.

Jeana's suggestion might be stunning, I just can't see it. If you want to get a feel for it, see if you can buy some large granite tiles. They should be returnable.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have spent quite a bit already on this room, and I wasn't planning on replacing the table tops with stone. Same goes for replacing the bed and dresser. Plus most said I could work with those and that they look nice with the tone of the burlap draperies. So, I do have to consider my funds. Although, I don't mind adding a little at a time either.

I would love hardwood, and we may go that route someday, but practically speaking, the winters are SO cold here, most homes are carpeted in this geographical area for that reason.

Still have a few questions:

Regarding the double-armed lamps posted by gwbr above, are you aware of a source for them? Also, I wonder if they will be too wide IRL. The glass on the mirrors is just over 15" wide, and with the frame, the width is close to 21". Should the lamps fit within the mirror glass width? I have to make this decision soon, as I'll need to return the current shades I have.

Someone suggested using rings for the curtains when I raise and stretch out the rods. This could add a little more height and allow me to raise them higher. Do you think the rings would look alright? The corner windows are an issue because the space is so tight there. Would it look odd to place the rods further out on one side of each window than in the corner? I only have so much space to work with there.

Do you have any suggestions for chairs, a table and/or ottoman for a sitting area. Jeana suggested moving the dresser opposite the bed so that a sitting area can be opened up. I'm also looking for a bookcase.

Thanks!

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

I like this in the "natural grid" fabric.

~Jeana

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Decorator's Marie Chair

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

Bookcase - not sure which finish I like better...

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Decorator's Bookcase

• gwbr54
    12 years ago

The double lamp is 14-in. wide per lamps plus. While I do like the lamp, I think what I really like is the shade color. I think your existing would look just as good with new shades in that color (my mock-up used an ivory shade).

Here is a link that might be useful: lamp source

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

I also don't think you need to do the stone as it'd probably cost a lot for the edge detail. See this pic for the creamy/blue combo which I think would help tie the nightstands better with the mirrors:

As for the grilles, I like them and the detail they provide. I would like to see them spray painted with rustoleum along with the pulls in the antique gold or ORB, then put the burlap behind it tacked to the inside corners with a staple gun. If you do the burlap inside, it would go with your existing shades. I'd like to see your mirrors hung before you return your shades. While I like the double lamps, they seem rather pricy and I think you can find something similar for less. Are you and/or your DH readers in bed? If so, that will need to influence your lamp choice as I'm not sure the ones with the smaller shades who provide enough lighting. If your dresser can fit across from the bed, I think that is the optimal place for it, stylistically as well as practially I would imagine since your closets would be to either side. I don't really see a bookcase to the left as it will start to feel too crowded after you add your lounge chair on the right. If you have the space, I can envision a bergere chair and ottoman there. Yum! Perhaps with the frame painted a creamy white and antiqued as your frames. As for your WTs, the corner does present a concern to get it symmetrical. Are you getting new rods or using existing? If you are getting new, I envision treating that corner so that the two perpendicular rods connect with something like this I've linked below. Then you could pull out the outer corners as suggested, have the inner panels meet in that corner. Rings would look nice, but do add cost. Can you raise your curtains without the rings and exchange for longer ones?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rod Connector

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

That left wall will need height to balance the room. The bookcase I posted is just the right height. IMHO.

~Jeana

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jeana - Pretty chair choice . . . I really like it. This weekend, I'm going to have my DH and son help move the dresser. The furniture and mirrors are especially heavy. I'm anxious to see how it will look then.

gwbr - Thanks for the link. I like the shade color too. The lamps are a little pricey, though. I can get a slightly smaller version of the burlap shades I have. Maybe those would fit better within the mirrors visually. I like the way the burlap looks when the lamps are on. Tomorrow I'll check around for what other shade options are out there.

valinsv - That picture is great! I love it. It's along the lines of what I had in mind. My concern is that the "Old White" color of chalk paint I have may be too ivory toned. I hope not. I'll try it tomorrow on a sample of something. The vendor doesn't make any other shade of white. The mirrors came painted when I got them. I just added the antiquing. I like working with chalk paint because there is no prep required, and it paints over anything - very easy to work with. So, I hope the white shade of it works.

We do read in bed from time to time. My DH had eye surgery this summer and experienced complications resulting in a retinal detachment. Now, he is left with a blind spot and poor vision in low lighting. He has trouble reading in most indoor lighting now, unfortunately. The lamps I have now allow for 100W bulbs, which are fairly bright. I think the double arm ones were 40W each bulb.

The curtain rods I have were cheapos that I bought from Wal-Mart because they were the only ones I could find in the ORB finish and with tiny finials that would fit. So, I could purchase new rods.

The ceilings are 8', and the draperies are 84". I could order the 96" panels, but they would have to be mounted at the ceiling, which would leave no room for crown moulding if we ever get it. So . . . I hope with getting some rings and raising the rods, enough height will be added.

Love bergere chairs. That would be my idea of heaven.

I (or should I say others in my home) will move the dresser, and that will really help visualize the space better to consider how all of the furniture would come together.

• abundantblessings
    12 years ago

jan, you've done a great job in finding disparate elements and being true to your vision. Here's how I would tackle the rest of the project.

I like your mirrors and would have your DH and son hang them this weekend. Just that simple step will make the world of difference in the look of your room and give you the reassurance that you're on the right track. The night stands are a bit small, but the unexpected blue (your labor of love) makes them work. Though cream or just cream accents is a possibility, your blue is quite strong so that would mean redoing the whole thing. That may not be worth it at this point. Their small size is actually an advantage if you add a chair in the corner.

Definitely yes to dark rings and hanging the rods higher, though I'd not spend the money to change the rods as that improvement is too small an increment to me. Adding a very sheer linen under the drapes might be a nice touch. Yes to changing the pulls and knobs to bronze and painting the screen the same color. You can repeat the burlap( or the sheer linen if you add them) behind the screen for a clean and consistent look. Once you make those changes the existing lamps will be fine, but I'd consider the lighter tall shades that grbw54 used in her first mock-up as they relate better to the height and tone of the mirrors as opposed to the drapes. The shade swap will also have the benefit of helping your DH get more light.

If you need/want something across from your bed, I'd put a etagere/bookcase there (either low profile or vertical), but only if you really want more "stuff" in the room. I'd look on ebay or other source for a small bergere for the corner, and would center the dresser on the wall where it is. A dark bronze fabric would look great on the chair with the wood treated the same as your mirrors. A blue pillow perhaps the same as your Euro shams but with a copper, bronze and chocolate fringe will continue the color theme. I would not hang anything over the bed to let the ornate frames do their magic, though I might stencil the fleur de lis pattern on the wall behind the bed in a lighter burlap color subtly accented with very dark gold highlights. This way you can get the look of wallpaper without the expense, and bridge, without competing with, the mirrors.

These last tweaks may not be necessary once the other changes were in place, but plants are a great idea with health benefits in a bedroom. I'd look for a narrow console for the wall to the left of the bathroom pocket door and have at least one plant there, and add another lower light requirement plant by the dresser. Finally, once all these elements were in place, I'd evaluate whether a very soft blue fabric would work better than the existing cream underside of the duvet. The blue turndown may not be necessary, especially if you add a sheer linen panel to the windows as then the cream makes more sense.

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

I do like the idea of rings with the draperies, or getting the longer length & hemming them.

Bergere's are beautiful but not very comfortable for reading (if that's how you want to use it) & tend to be a little more ornate than I would like to see in there. The one I chose looked a little more comfortable to sit in & read & had a little cleaner lines. I think the fabric needs to be a linear pattern to offset the floral bedding & all the curly-ness of the mirrors. It would also repeat the grilles. I would like to see cream wood trim.

Indeed a console or vanity would work where I specified a bookcase. But the bookcase would be more useful since you have a lot of books & like to read. But the bookcase could work where I specified the dresser also. (This is where I'm flexible, but I'm pretty opinionated on other things)I just think the chair & ottoman would be better served on the wall where the dresser is now so that it can be angled to look out the window.

I like the idea of a stencil (metallic) above the bed, however I'm concerned that adding another scroll-y pattern will compete with the bedding & mirrors.

One thing is for sure - Jan, you have a great community helping you out here & I can't wait to see the evolvement!!! We all have our strong opinions, but it's your house & your money...your style.

Great input here.

~Jeana

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

Jan: I downloaded that pic from Annie Sloan's chalk paint website so it may be her Old White Color.

I think your rods work fine and you may even be able to find a bracket adaptor to work with what you have. Using the adaptor I think will allow the two rods to esssetially function as one and so allow you to pull them out on the outer sides. Another idea to get taller WTs is to sew a contrasting band at the base, though you will loose the disappearing effort you mentioned before, but wanted to mention that as another option since it seems you sew.

I also like the chair that InteriorStylist showed. I guess it depends if you want to go the new or vintage route and search for a vintage bergere chair and ottoman. I have a couple in my LR and find them very comfortable, but like anything that can be a personal preference and there is definitely something to be said for sitting in a chair before purchasing if you plan to sit there for longer periods and not just use it as a landing spot for pillows or to sit on and put on your shoes.

I do agree that your existing lamps could be raised a tad higher which is something you can play with by propping some books below. Can the lamps you have now be returned or repurposed elsewhere? I know I hate to buy new unless I've exhausted my options to work with what I already have. I'd definitely err on the side of what works best for readability for your DH as if he is like most DHs, he's probably more concerned with comfort than style (but I could be mistaken! ;))

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie Sloan Chalk Paint

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I was out and about today looking at various lamp and shade options, and I ended up exchanging the burlap shades for a slightly smaller version of the same. It's about an inch and a half narrower than the one I had, and also about an inch shorter. Now the shade fits within the width of the mirror. The lamps are just over 25" tall (not tiny, but not extra large either), and from what I've seen out there, if I go much taller, the shades generally are wider too, which is a visual issue. I wasn't able to find a tall narrow shade for these lamps. I definitely think they look better now with the smaller shades. If I find something better, I'm still open to changing.

I tried out the Old White Annie Sloan Chalk Paint on a piece of cardboard, and I think it's going to work, as it matches the mirrors very well. The great thing about chalk paint is that it can be painted over anything. It won't be any problem at all to paint over the blue within the recessed areas and details. I bought some small brushes for that purpose.

abundant - So glad you like the mirrors. I really like them, and I have made up my mind that I don't want to paint them a different color, i.e. blue to match the tables, as I had really envisioned them creamy white. I want to keep them above the bedside tables because I wanted them placed behind the lamps and if placed over the dresser, they'd have a whole different look. I've thought about all the options, and the best seems to be painting in some details on the bedside tables to tie them in with the mirrors more visually. I won't have to redo them. The chalk paint will coat right over, so that's a bonus. While marble tops would probably look great too, it's an extra cost, and I could use those funds on a chair, artwork, or other pieces.

I priced new rods, glass ball finials, rings, and a connector for the corner windows through Country Curtains. With the shipping, it would total around $300. Again, I could just purchase new rings, keep the rods I have, and raise the curtains higher. I don't think I can justify spending that much, as you said, on a small change. I'll see if I can remove the existing finials in the corner so I can move the curtains closer together there.

I really like the idea of a light, sheer linen under the draperies. If you have any sources, please share. That might require that I change the rods to doubles at some point.

I purchased some ORB Rustoleum paint today so that I can spray the lamp harps as well as the bedside table pulls. I was thinking of keeping the glass knobs though. What do you think? I was also considering purchasing similar knobs for the dresser. I will find some burlap for use behind the caged doors.

I would like a bookcase someplace in the room if it fits. Right now, DH and I have all kinds of books that are presently stored in the bedside tables.

The stencil idea is interesting. I can envision it in a very faint , almost translucent shade. The walls are textured, so wallpaper isn't an easy option.

I'd welcome sources for console options. For the plants, are you thinking of a floor plant in a large pot by the dresser and a tabletop one by the console? I love plants. I'm just not sure what to put them in or what type to get.

I'm open to the blue turndown on the duvet, although the existing fabric is very nice. I may sew some decorative pillows in the blue and place them in front of the standard shams to offset the existing cream color.

Jeana - I'm so glad you've taken an interest in my project. Thanks for all of your thoughts and ideas. They have helped immensely. I really like the chair and fabric you linked to, and I could easily paint the wood trim using the Old White chalk paint. I like the print too.

I'll need to do some measuring to see where the furniture could be placed. A chair would be so nice someplace in the room.

valinsv - Those are the very same chalk paint colors I have. The only difference is that in the furniture pictured, they lightened the blue with some of the white.

My son is pretty handy, so he may be able to make/weld me some sort of connector thing for my existing rods.

I saw a new bergere chair today, and it was beautiful, not the right color though. I'll have some fun scarfing around. I enjoy the process of making choices, but not being stuck in analysis paralysis. I think I'll see if I can get a sample of the fabric for the Home Decorator chair posted by InteriorStylist.

As for raising the lamps higher, I think I would run into problems finding something that is both bright enough and that has a narrow enough shade. The current lamps take 100W bulbs, which is pretty bright. I'm still open on the lamps and shades. The smaller burlap is definitely an improvement.

I am so touched by all the responses on this thread, and each and every post has been helpful in considering the options. The folks here can't be beat, that's for sure. I knew I could count on you all!

I'll post more pictures, if you can stand them, after I add some details to the nightstands and raise the draperies.

Thanks!!!

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

I like the crystal knobs. Make the other changes first and see how you like it before purchasing more knobs. Every room needs a bit of sparkle! The smaller shades sound like a good fit. If lamp is too high it may create a glare when laying in bed for either you or your partner; too low and light is not sufficient but 100 Watts should be about right. Best to try what you have first and play around with the height to see what is most functional as well as decorative. It can be both! Projects like these are so much fun and I am enjoying very much seeing you hone in on your vision for your room. Bedrooms are so personal as it's that place were we can really express our true self so there is no one right way to do things. Main thing is what is best for you and your DH! I love the hunt too for vintage items and coming up with something unique and creative without breaking the bank. Thanks for sharing your journey with us!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County