SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fiap

HELP! upgrade in manhattan - knowledge is power (and $$)

fiap
17 years ago

hi--first post--big DIYer, but i know my limitations so i turn to this xlnt forum for advice before i begin discussions with the electrician. the situation: manhattan apartment on the 13th (yes, 13th) floor of a prewar bldg has one other apt adjacent to it. there are 4 apts per floor, two face north, two face south. i own one that faces north and one that faces south.

years ago, i upgraded the electric (to 100 amps) in the south facing apt, using the existing riser. years later i bought a north facing apt--it has original cloth insulated wire, and screw in fuses. i'm ready to do the reno, and i have been approached by the electrician doing the reno to the adjacent north-facing apt. it seems my north facing apt shares a riser with their adjacent north-facing apt. they are doing an upgrade and want to use the existing riser. of course, they can't pull out just their wire and drop new wire (13 floors) with mine in the riser. so, they propose to replace my wire too, at cost, no labor.

sounds good, but here's the rub: their "upgrade" for their 1500+sqft apt with new central air will be only 60 amps. i'm thinking at least 100, probably 200 amps for my upgrade. can't imagine why a good electrician would sell a 60 amp upgrade to a 13th floor manhattan apt (on a street where everything costs more than it should). also can't imagine that it was not obvious that these two apartments shared a riser (visible in the stairwell)--it was "news" to my neighbors, not anything they had been advised about by their electrician beforehand. makes me distrust their "generous" electrician. so before i contact their electrician, i need to know:

1. what gauge wire should to be dropped (13 floors) for a 100 amp upgrade?

2. same question, but for a 200 amp upgrade?

3. ballpark estimate of the costs of the two kinds of wire, or at least some sense of how much more (%) the heavy wire should cost.

4. is there a code difference regarding the size of the conduit/riser for 100 vs 200 amps? if so, what is it? (obv, a new 13 fl riser means $$$)

5. approx. cost of installation of new 100 vs. 200 amp breaker box with lots of breakers. (i figure i should at least get the box from whomever upgrades the service, even if i don't use them for the interior work)

fyi, it seems i cannot use the riser that serves my already upgraded south facing apt to "share" the wire of my north-facing apt b/c it is not big enough (according to my super).

sorry for the length of this post, but i really need your expert advice, asap. THANK YOU!!!!

Comments (2)