SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohgoodness

Please help-making formal lr less formal, pics and plans. TIA!

ohgoodness
15 years ago

We moved into our first house 3 yrs ago and at the time I envisioned having a house with a formal lr and dr upstairs and all casual toy/tv living stuff downstairs in the basement away from sight. After 3yrs, I'm tired of living in my basement while my most beautiful rooms go unused! I want to bring the tv and some toy storage upstairs and make the lr a much more cozy, casual, living space that I can enjoy. I'm having a hard time figuring out where the tv should go. Because the room is narrow the couch is too close to the fp to put it above. The height would be a problem. Here are some pictures, layouts of the current plan and a future plan that I've come up with. I may need a few transitional plans because I probably donÂt have the budget to do it all at once. So I need to figure out what is the best final plan and then figure out how to best get there in a couple of phases. What do you think?

Current LR

The swinging door there is from the extremely small foyer that we have. The other open area on that wall is to the dr.

Final Plan

I would put a flat panel tv mounted inside a bookcase, possibly built-in, to the right of the fireplace. Would that distract too much from the fp? It would be a 27 or 32 inch screen. Also, I found a couch that has a much smaller depth than my current couch so I may be able to fit a couch and loveseat. Do you think that would be better? Also, here is a pic of the couch I am considering. Wondering if it would be comfy.

Comments (15)