SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gobruno_gw

Pls help with wall color under stencil

gobruno
13 years ago

I am going to copy the idea of somebody on this forum (can't find the thread) and stencil a large niche on our upstairs stair landing/walkway. I bought this large damask stencil:

And I plan to use it in this large niche (that the console is in) (sorry for the dark photos, I took them with my phone):

The niche is at the top of the landing, and in front of it is the open foyer with a barrel vaulted ceiling and large light fixture:

The barrel vault is painted metallic gold using RL paint. I have a bunch of the gold paint leftover, and I was planning on doing the damask stencil using the same gold paint.

Sooooo, the question now is, do I just do the gold stencil over the current wall color or do I paint a color underneath?

The landing leads to the kids play room, which you can see in this photo, which is painted a dark navy (with undertones of green):

Because the stencil is so dramatic, do I just go with the current wall color that is already there to tone it down, or do I really make it a focal point by doing a totally different color underneath? I've thought about a red (bc the great room (which you over look on the other side of this wall) has reds in it, and I've also thought about the same navy/green that is in the playroom. I've also thought about a goldish/yellow color (Stuart Gold) which I have leftover from our mudroom. Then, I've also thought about BM avocado, which I have leftover from our guest bath. I am really all over the place.

Any suggestions? Could anybody photoshop examples for me?

As always, thank you so much!

Comments (7)