SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cmlawrence_gw

what kind of cable is this?

cmlawrence
15 years ago

All,

I'm adding a door to my home, and have to re-route some electrical wiring. The home was built in 1950, but the door is in an addition that I believe was added in the late 70's or early 80's. The main house is mostly knob and tube, with some romex on circuits for rooms that were remodeled. The addition is some sort of armored cable - 1/2in diam, with two conductors inside(white/black). My outlets all appear to be grounded, so I assume that the armored cable itself serves as a ground? Is this BX cable?

I need to re-route the circuit that went through the wall where the new door is. Can I use romex to route this line over the door? There are outlets on either side of the door on this circuit. My plan was just to remove the cable between the outlets, and replace with Romex, which will be much easier to route, and I believe is approved in my area.

If that sounds good, can I simply assume that the junction boxes will be grounded, and tie the ground on the romex to the box?

This work is obviously not permitted, but I would like to keep this safe, and to code. Located in northern California.

C

Comments (5)