SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanwrites_gw

is this what painted bathroom cabinets are supposed to look like?

susanwrites
13 years ago

I am at a complete and utter loss as to what to ask the painter person to do next and I hope someone can help.

We've been having them paint the entire house. Last thing we decided to do was have them paint the bathroom cabinets with Benjamin Moore Bittersweet Chocolate. I'm so sorry I started them on this project. But hindsight and all that....must figure out how to move forward.

I told her I wanted BM Bittersweet Chocolate in a thin satin finish. She said she normally would use Dulamel but for Satin we Benjamin Moore Satin Impervo Alkyd Low Luster Enamel Ultra Base C235 4B. (Which she said she had used before but now she is complaining about the paint in such a way that makes me think she hadn't.)

She's doing two sets of cabinets but I'll just speak to the one in the bathroom that everyone sees all the time. The other one I can deal with less than ideal results.

The cabinets are maple and when she sanded them, they almost looked like bare wood. The varnish that had been on there came right off. (In hindsight, I wish I had had her stop there and I would have just stained them darker but oh well.)

She applied stain block primer and then the paint to the back of the doors and the front of drawers. I don't think it looks anything like the pictures I've seen from other people who have painted their cabinets. I know nothing about paint but I'm wondering if she put it on too thick?

Do I ask her to sand them and then do another coat but thinned?

Is this what I'm going to have now?

If I wanted to go back to bare wood now, since it's an oil based paint, would we have to use a stripper?

I so want this painting job to be done so I can put my house back in order but I don't want to cry every time I walk into this bathroom, either.

And please forgive me in advance for cross-posting to paint.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!