SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vbe11

Help - Paint or Spray Bathroom Cabinets? And Which Paint to Use?

vbe11
7 years ago

I'm having my wood bathroom cabinets painted white by a professional painter. They are currently maple (or another light wood, not 100% sure) with some sort of shiny coating on them. My painter plans to sand them, prime them, and then paint them with several coats of water-based paint. However, before I give him the go ahead, I have two questions for anyone out there who has experience:

1) What kind of paint and finish should I choose? I want them to coordinate with my doors and trim, which are Benjamin Moore OC-17 (White Dove), semi-gloss finish, so I'd prefer to stick with Benjamin Moore. But I'm not sure whether to go with their Aura line in semi-gloss, or Aura "Bath & Spa" in Matte finish. Any advice?

2) The painter will be removing the doors and drawers and painting them in his shop. So he can either spray them or hand-brush paint them. However, he has to paint the edges/frame of the cabinets on-site, so hand-painting them seems like it will be less messy than spraying them. Is it worth it to do the whole job using a spray? How about spraying the doors but hand-painting the surrounds? Or should I just have him hand-paint the whole thing? I think he will do a nice job hand-painting, but I have heard that spray-painted cabinets look fresher and a little more upscale. The rest of the bathroom is more traditional looking than I would like (dated 80's-era marble countertop, shower and floors, etc.), so I'm hoping that the cabinets will freshen it up!

Any advice you can give me would be great!!

Thank you!!

Comments (8)