SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thomas_e

I want a switch and pilot light for central vac receptacle

thomas_e
10 years ago

I have a central vac in garage that plugs into a single receptacle 20A wall outlet.

I donâÂÂt like the fact that it stays plugged in when we are away from home (waiting for the day when a faulty sensor will get it going until I return home, overheat, catch fire etc.), so I tend to plug it and unplug it whenever I use it --- but itâÂÂs a hassle, and my wife can hardly reach the wall plug.

I want to put a wall switch to turn it on and off, preferably with a pilot light so that I can tell at a glance whether the central vac has power going to it.

I have already done the same with my (a) washer/dryer, (b) garage door opener, (c) the water heater hot water recirculating pump. Call me paranoid, but I feel better knowing that these devices are unpowered when IâÂÂm away from the house (especially on vacation). So before leaving the house for an extended time, I can peak into the garage and quickly check the pilot lights to see if anything is still powered (even in the dark the pilot lights give a quick status without checking the swithes). Actually, for the washer/dryer I have a double receptacle on the same switch with an external LED plug in light in one of the receptacles and the washer/dryer on the second receptacle.

Long story short, IâÂÂm having trouble doing the same for the central Vac, as I cannot find a switched receptacle with pilot light in 20A. They are common in 15A but not in 20A.

So my questions are:

(A) The central vac is rated at 13Amps. Does it really have to be on a 20A receptacle, or is a 1 gang 15A switch outlet pilot light combo ok? Does the fact that it is a motor load make a difference?

(B) Can I take out the 1 gang box and replace it with a 2 or 3 gang, in which case I have a good choice of common 20A switches and receptacles plus pilot light.

(C) Assuming I go for the 1+ gang solution, can I then expand to a double 20A receptacle (or does some code prevent double 20A)?

(D) Is there some code that requires that this receptacle (or even the whole circuit) should only service the central vac?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments (4)