SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
codnuggets

gut check on panel upgrade recommendations and estimate

codnuggets
16 years ago

Frequent GW poster, but new to the electrical forum (I think). I had an electrician come by today for a service upgrade quote. I have a 1923 house with 100amp service and a jam packed panel. I called for a quote to upgrade to 200 amps since I just finished remodeling the kitchen, installing AC, and I'm about to add a full bath, not to mention the breaker box is too full - lots of double breakers that shouldn't be in there.

The electrician said there is no need to upgrade, that 100 amps is sufficient. The only 220 loads we have are the AC, dryer, and range. When the new bathroom is complete, there will be dedicated 15amp 110 circuits for a microwave, radiant floor heating, fridge, dishwasher/disposer, air tub pump, and air tub heater. Everything else in the house is general lights-and-plugs runs.

The electrician recommended just replacing the panel with a 100 amp, 32 slot panel. His bid includes all parts and labor (he's reusing a dozen or so of the breakers I have now and providing the rest), grounding and bonding to code, and permits. The only additional work he mentioned was that he may have to cut a couple runs of conduit to relocate them. The work area would be close to the panel so not a lot of effort but something nonetheless. The total quote was $1200. So 2 questions:

Is 100 amps really sufficient? The electrician said if he did the load calc that it wouldn't be an issue. When I told him I would be adding even more circuits with my remodel, he said it still wouldn't be an issue.

Is $1200 a reasonable bid for the work he quoted?

The company came recommended by a contractor friend, and the electrician seemed trustworthy and professional. He gets bonus points for trying to sell me less than I asked for. If it matters, I'm in Portland, OR, and it's just my wife and me in the house. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Comments (10)