SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karezz

Like to Shop? Help me find dining chairs!!

karezz
15 years ago

My kitchen table has 4 chairs and I really need 6. I thought a set of host/hostess chairs would be a pretty addition. My decor is country french-ish. Any ideas on what type of chair would look good here?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (19)

• parma42
    15 years ago

Having no idea of your price range, I am just showing one example. They have more than this chair on their site.

I would do a similar style (French, but not necessarily wheatback) but a painted frame and upholstered seat. You appear to have fairly bright white windows so I'm not sure that cream would look nice, but an antique red or green would be great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chairs

• karezz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I like the idea of something similar in a painted finish with an upholstered seat. I plan to get chair cushions for the original chairs, so it would be nice for the host/hostess chairs to be different but tied together by upholserted seats in the same fabric.

That was a nice website, though I didn't see anything upholstered. I can go up as high as the prices there, but I'd prefer to stay around $250 or less per chair.

Here is a picture of the rest of my kitchen....what color paint finish would you do for the new chairs?

Note: I'll also reupholster the island chairs to match.

• Related Discussions

Dining Chair Refinish Post - Could you help me find?

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi, This one might not be what you're thinking of but it has a lot of good information! Here is a link that might be useful: Link
    ...See More

Can you help me find a chair like this one?

Q

Comments (1)
    Why don't you contact the manufacturer?
    ...See More

Need help finding a dining chair version of this office chair

Q

Comments (3)
    That is patterned after - or may actually be - the Knoll Saarinen Executive Chair. Justifiably famous quintessential MCM chair. The wheels are on the desk chair version, but it also comes without wheels. You can upholster it any way you want, or choose one of the standard Knoll colors in leather, flat weave, boucle, or velvet. I saw them recently in a soft yellow the color of banana cream pie - to die for. These chairs will cost you a lot to purchase, and to upholster if you don’t want one of the Knoll fabrics, but you didn’t mention budget. The legs come in either metal or wood. For a kitchen dining table I prefer metal legs. For a dining room dining table I prefer wood legs. Here are links to them at Design Within Reach. There are likely cheaper knockoffs, but at least now you know the name to search for. https://www.dwr.com/workspace-chairs/saarinen-executive-side-chair-with-metal-legs/7214.html?lang=en_US#lang=en_US&q=Knoll+dining+chair&pn=2&start=2 https://www.dwr.com/dining-chairs-and-stools/saarinen-executive-side-chair-with-wood-legs/2260.html?lang=en_US#lang=en_US&q=Knoll+dining+chair&pn=2&start=3 In Knoll Swan Velvet: There’s also a version with arms:
    ...See More

Help me find a more fitting dining table and chairs

Q

Comments (12)
    Sunset coral [pumpkin] or the dahlia color might go well if you like plant's deep purpley color: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GX27THR/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?pd_rd_i=B08GX5M3Y2&pd_rd_w=U85Pi&pf_rd_p=39cbbe7c-8911-4076-85fd-8e024260e5ce&pd_rd_wg=mma9w&pf_rd_r=S8J5HPYD9KMFWEDQD3GS&pd_rd_r=03703bac-4844-43d4-ab48-ea0c12e770ad&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzT0dJRjNJWVNWNzJNJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUExMDE1MzQ1M1BCVUhMUDlJM1A4NyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTQxNjQ1M0FMS1Q5RENYUlpRNyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbF90aGVtYXRpYyZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1
    ...See More
  • parma42
    15 years ago

That was just the first site I was on when I googled wheatback chairs. After I posted, I went back and looked through some more that were less expensive. Problem was, they would say they had upholstered seats for an upcharge of, say, $25.00 but wouldn't show the fabric.

They should also be at least the same height, if not higher, than the ones you have now.

Color would depend upon the tones you have there now. With just looking on my monitor, I can't tell if your metals are black. Your red looks to be cool, so you might have a hard time finding a red you would like. Also, your whites, do you have any cream?

Black, red, green or cream would all be possibilities depending on what your colors are IRL.

• karezz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Not sure of the color yet, but what do you think of the style? Arms or no arms?

• compumom
    15 years ago

Arms!

• parma42
    15 years ago

I think that's one I saw when I went back. Like it very much.

For a host and hostess chair, I think you'd want arms, and if you're doing cushions, you wouldn't have to get it upholstered. Just make sure it's high enough.

I have to head out of town to see my dad but will be back later to see your progress. :)

I love French country.

• karezz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tips!! It helps me set out in the right direction! Enjoy your weekend!

• karezz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just another thought to put out there....would I just be better off buying the arm chairs that match the chairs I have? The table and chairs are Nichols and Stone.

• parma42
    15 years ago

Back.

I hate to be the bearer of bad new but I believe that Nichols and Stone became the latest American furniture maker to shutter its doors. Think it happened in July, unless they had a last minute buy out. Our Chicago furniture stores were advised of that, this summer.

It really depends what kind of a vibe you want in your room. Some like the variety of mix and match, some prefer to keep it simple and matched.

• karezz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I heard about Nichols and Stone but then thought it a rumor when I saw their website was still up. I guess I should make this decision quickly so that if I decide to match the chairs, I may be able to locate them.

Thanks again for all your advice!!!

• susan209
    15 years ago

Personally I would get the ones that match your already gorgeous set, one thing I like is how your chair seat covers the front corners making them more comfortable to sit on. I think when you have that piece of leg wood on the front corners, it just isn't as comfortable to sit on as I have sat on that kind. Your set really is beautiful as is your room (and yard I might add). Nichols and Stone is such fine furniture, I didn't hear that they were going out of business, I have three of their chairs and love them. I wish you luck!

• annathome
    15 years ago

Looking closely at your wallpaper and the color of your valance. Is it possible that there is a companion fabric or even a matching fabric to the wallpaper and the rosy color of your valance? I'd vote for 2 small completely upholstered dining chairs w/arms. Wooden legs to match the color of your set. Comfortable and elegant and would look perfect with your pretty dining set. Ballard Designs has several chair styles to choose from and will cover in your own fabric. Others are out there online too or you might just find a pair in a consignment store or CL to recover. Keep your eyes open for a matching pair. A very authentic French solution to your dilemma. Better to my mind than trying to match other wood frames and styles I think. You might check out Waverly fabrics or Calico Corners or Home Decorating Company online for complimentary patterns to what you now have in the kitchen if you can't find exact matches. Even a solid colored green chair (like the bead board color) piped in the warmer rosy color of the valance would look so pretty. Don't know how you've done your LR or FR, but these two upholstered chairs could easily be moved into those rooms for extra seating when needed. Good luck!

• karezz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think I like that idea the best!! Here are a few more questions for you with pics:

My valance has coordinated welting. Would it be weird if I used the welting fabric for the chair and the valance fabric for the welting on the chair? Or, would it to be better to introduce a more solid green on the chair with the red valance fabric for the welting?

{{!gwi}}

Also, at your suggestion, I looked around for an upholstered chair with curved legs and arms. This chair from Ballard is the closest I could find so far - but no arms. I actually happen to have parsons chairs I could recover - both with and without arms. However the arms are upholstered and very angular so if I were to reuse those, I would choose the side chairs.

• annathome
    15 years ago

I'm sorry to take so long to reply. I've been out all day! Thank you for the pictures. Your fabrics are really beautiful! I do think that you could use the welting fabric for the chairs and welt with the valance fabric. I'd probably do the reverse though to match the valance, and maybe add a small green back pillow to the chair to contrast with the red and again trim with the valance welting too. You can't miss with either direction you go. A green chair would be really beautiful too especially with the contrasting welting. I'd do whichever version would allow for moving the chairs from room to room easily to go with what you have going on in the rest of the house. This may not be a big consideration for you though. I'm so glad you already have the parsons chairs. This really makes for some significant savings doesn't it? There is a site you might want to look at that does parsons chairs in every possible way with a variety of different legs and finishes, arms and armless, skirted and unskirted in their fabrics or your own. Slipcovers too. The site is Carrington Court Direct and lots of designers use their chairs. If you look them up you'll see that there are quite a few design options that most of us have never seen before in terms of parsons designs, two of them being the Danbury parsons wing chair and the Dartmouth King chair. Men like the extra width of the King design for a dining chair and the Danbury is a style that lots of people feel comfortable moving from the dining room to the living room. The Danbury arms work well for pulling the chair closer to the table in tight circumstances where otherwise armless chairs would normally work. I don't know whether a skirted look would be something you're interested in, but I've seen these Danbury chairs upholstered in both solid colors and patterns with a contrasting welting and a third contrasting color or pattern in the kickpleat of the skirt. Kind of an unexpected surprise. They look much more expensive than they are I think, and all of these chairs are very good quality. Their upholstery workmanship is first rate according to everyone I know who has used them. Just another option to consider...as if you needed one more! Great site for inspiration though. Having parsons chairs already on hand is really wonderful for you and I don't think you could go wrong in covering them in either combination of the valance materials or the green and adding a small pillow would be icing on the cake. I know I've seen your beautiful wallpaper in a fabric somewhere too. Your dining room is really charming and very French!

• les917
    15 years ago

I don't see parsons chairs in that space. I wonder if you would consider putting a french country style bench with a back and rush seat on the side where the slider is, then use the existing chairs at either end and the two on the one side as they are? I would paint the bench in a white to compliment all the heavy white trim in that area or in a charcoal to pick up on the metal of the table legs and counter stools. Then add cushions made from your window treatment fabrics.

• karezz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmmm. Now I am really confused! I love all these ideas. I took a close look and my parsons chairs are too contemporary so I know they wouldn't work. Once I settle on something, my concerns are the ability to find it and to find something where I am not sacrificing quality.

I am thinking the easiest may be to match my chairs. The problem with that is that Nichols & Stone chairs may be difficult to find now. Hmmm.....

• annathome
    15 years ago

Hi Karezz,
    A quick Google search shows me that Nichols & Stone does have furniture for sale at several places in my area and they have a website that seems active. Bad news is I didn't see your chairs in their online chair inventory. Good news is that they had some very complimentary chairs there with arms that I think would work very well as a pair with what you have. More good news is that you could contact them with your information about your set's style and finish and they could very likely match them very closely if not identically for you in one of these complimentary styles. In other words it would look like you'd made the choice to have matching armchairs for the head and foot of the table in the same finish but slightly different style to your existing armless side chairs. If this won't work, I think a contemporary parson's chair would be a mistake too, but again some of the Carrington Court chairs are anything but contemporary. Not sure about the bench idea though I've seen wonderful benches like les described in Napa. They're beautiful! They're usually most successful when there is a very generous space to the rear of the bench so that it can be easily slid forward and back. Invariably someone seated in the middle needs to get up! I'd be more comfortable with a bench solution if we were talking about a pair of them rather than chairs on one side and a bench on the other. Love the idea of a rush seated bench though. Good luck!

• parma42
    15 years ago

I did more digging and found out that Stickley bought Nichols and Stone but not their factory. I also saw your chairs on another website and they did have arms but I'm thinking that could just be out of date.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stickley

• moremoremore
    15 years ago

Because you're chairs are not only unique in terms of style and color, I think you'll be VERY hard pressed to find any un-upholstered chairs that work....I think you should try a slim parsons chair with a CURVED back to mimic the curve of yours (that's not contemporary at all)....I'd do an orangy sort of coordinating fabric to blend with the wood tones...I also really like the idea of a bench...I'd do a backless bench in the space...

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County