SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gigi1234_gw

Not Married yet

Gigi1234
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've been living with my boyfriend for 3 months and his 14 year old son visits every other weekend. Even before I became romantically involved with my BF I had the opportunity to see the dynamic between him and his son, and to say they bicker is an understatement. Everything is a battle, every answer starts with "No" and the child always gets what he wants, by any means necessary.

I've been researching what the role of a step-parent is and taken my cues from that. Mostly I try to walk away. It keeps me from getting upset with either of them and lets me have some alone time to reflect or research :)

My boyfriend uses me as a soundboard to tell me what he has done with his son that day what he thinks went well the things that didn't go so well. My aim is to be as supportive as possible but I am also honest. The kid is a little bratty I say it because I was bratty too while in my teens, so I am well aware of the strategy's used by a kid to get their own way. My partner looks at me like I'm a cold monster when I don't buy into the kids tears because he says he doesn't want to disappoint. He doesn't give a crap about hurting my feelings, or disrespecting my partner, he just wants what he wants when he wants it.

My partner gets along quite well with his ex, but her behavior is very similar to the boys. Although to her credit she is much nicer as long as she is getting exactly what she wants. My partners opinion doesn't matter and if he has ideas of how to make the holiday break more exciting or more of a challenge then just watching TV she says "No" and blames me for all this new change.

I do realize that now that my partner is in a relationship he has the opportunity to speak with someone else about his concerns about his kid and what kind of human being the boy is turning into.

I feel frustrated because we spend a lot of time talking about the boy and what we can do to help him be better, but when the day comes for action my partner relies on all the bad habits that have made his son rude and spoiled. I suppose my sadness derives from us discussing and once its time for our visit every decision is unilateral and I'm just left with the aftermath.

Is this my official welcome to step-parenthood?

I've been reading some other posts and somewhere along the line someone said keep reading more of this forum for help, keep your eyes wide open, and think long and hard about moving forwards towards engagement or marriage.

How can I help father and son's relationship building? I don't mind taking a backseat if it weren't for my partner constantly coming up to tell me how bad it is hanging out alone with his bratty kid. He realizes that it is learned behavior but he is so reliant on his bad habits of giving in. No one is disciplining the child, its no wonder he acts out. Should I just enjoy the relationship and not project into the future with this man? I feel like I need a little advice...

Thanks...

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths