SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bpts_chick

Stepmom of Five with questions

bpts_chick
16 years ago

I am happy to find this forum, though I realize there will be some who bash me just for being a SM. That aside, I have a legal-ish question:

Is my husband obligated to force his teenaged children to visit their mother?

BM has had some emotional issues and has, at various times, been absolutely horrible to the children. She was the original CP, but per the terms of the custody agreement, the children have had the opportunity to decide they want to live with their father.

When the first two (of five) moved in with us, it was after the BM informed these two that since they wanted to live with Dad, they were no longer HER kids. That was followed by refusing to fix them dinner (they were 9 and 11 at the time), telling them that she only fixes dinner for HER kids.

There are so many similar incidents over the years, but the bottom line is the kids want little to do with her. She is now refusing to discuss reassessing child support until my husband forces the children to spend time with her.

Is he legally obligated to force that issue, or are the children of an age now (14, 16, 17) where they can decide whether they want to spend time with her?

Thanks for your insight ... I just want to do the right thing.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH