SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nougat99

SKids relationship with SMoms family

nougat99
16 years ago

Hi, first post here.

I may become part of a stepfamily, and have browsed through this forum. My BF has an 8 yo daughter from previous marriage. BF and his ex divorced when she was only months old, they were only married 2 years (happened long before me). I have not yet been married, no children yet, but plan to have them when married (we are both in our early 30's). I work a full time 9-5 type of job.

BF and I live (not together) about 4 hours from his daughter who lives w/her mom (and close-knit extended family). His job requires working frequent weekends (and often varies day vs night shifts) and he rarely has two days off in a row. She is in year-round school, and is not likely to spend long vacations with my BF. With all these factors, he sees his daughter only once a month, sometimes less. They talk regularly by phone.

With the infrequent visitation, I am wondering how close of a relationship I can expect to form with BF's daughter (I have no intentions of trying to take over the Mom role). Also how close of a relationship with my (close-knit) family can be expected with her? Should I expect my family to all treat her as they would the other niece/nephew/grandkid, etc, when they might only see her a few times a year (and for her to think of my family as grandparents, aunts, etc)? BF parents have both passed away and he is not close with his extended family, so his daughter essentially only has extended family through her mom.

I am interested in hearing from those who have lived the situation as a stepkid, step-aunt, step-grandparents, etc. Also for stepmoms, what was it like integrating your rarely present stepkid into your family?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996