SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchid_ladycats

Blackout curtains, valances, drapery hardware...help!!

orchid_ladycats
14 years ago

My complete ignorance about this subject will be immediately apparent -- help! I am trying to create a really dark sleeping environment in our bedroom. We have a wall with three windows close together in the small sitting room area, and then two windows on an adjacent wall -- the king-size bed sits between those two windows. We put up room darkening up-from-the-bottom and down-from-the-top cellular shades when we first moved in. They do a good job, except for the light that comes in around the sides -- just a sliver, but we both really love complete darkness for sleeping!

So recently I had valances made that look great along the top of the cellular shades, and matching narrow panels for the sides of the windows, hoping they would block that light. They didn't. I went to Penneys and purchased their Eclipse blackout curtains. I love them because the fabric is lovely -- not rubberized or vinyl-feeling like so many of the black out curtains. The challenge now is trying to figure out what hardware to use to hang both the curtains and the valances.

We first put both on a 2 1/2 inch double rod, but the curtains are really too heavy for those, and they don't move easily on that kind of rod. They have generous loops at the top that makes hanging them easy, but they really need to be on a round rod. The round rod the sales person recommended mounts at least 4 inches away from the wall, and I just don't know how to put up the valance over them. Is there such a thing as a tubular double (valance) rod, that doesn't hang so far away from the wall? We got the same drapes for another bedroom, and with the rod right up against the wall (not the way the rod is supposed to be hanging) they block all the light. That's what I want for our bedroom, but I really want the valance too!

Any and all help and suggestions would be so appreciated!

Joan

Comments (10)