SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Why not___, anymore?

palimpsest
11 years ago

Since I do some real "no budget" kind of jobs, I am always on the lookout for furniture that does not need to be refinished, or for certain pieces that don't need to be reupholstered.

I have already come to the conclusion that 1) a lot of people pick upholstery that is ugly and even was when it was in style, and 2) even decent vintage upholstery often looks a bit forlorn out of its original environment, and 3) nobody used to upholster their furniture in neutrals, so you may need to think of a room to go around orange flamestitch.

But in terms of case pieces, I have noticed that a lot of Good furniture brands from the 1950s-70s and at least decent, sturdy brands from this era used laminate to some degree on the tops. Henredon, Dunbar, Directional, Drexel, Ethan Allen are all companies who had good pieces available with laminate tops. And if you read design literature contemporary to that time, you will read how much designers that we now look at as collectible and who are worthy of books written about them liked things like laminate tops, and vinyl flooring. I am finding pieces with these laminate tops, usually in very good condition, and generally built like a battleship, and the dings and such on the sides can be touched up. Compare this to some wooden topped pieces that have to be refinished mostly because of the tops...

I'm not sure I would like laminate on my formal dining room table, but I certainly see its utility on bedside tables. I have water or something to drink next to my bed every night, and I keep it on the floor so it doesn't mark the tabletop. I am not always awake enough to get something back on a coaster.

You also used to be able to buy basic pillow covers in corduroy or plain velveteen or cotton in a bunch of various colors, all of which could be thrown in the wash. Now pillows have to be embellished, need to be drycleaned, or need to be faux fancy enough to suit Candy Spelling. What's the matter with a decent inexpensive pillow cover?

Comments (66)