SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

X-post; got smacked in "building a home" forum

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

I was pretty sure the architectural cognoscenti would not like this idea, but what about everybody else?

Here is a link that might be useful: Humor me, again, sorry

Comments (56)

• lazydaisynot
    10 years ago

Oh, for Pete's sake. It's a gorgeous house, in a gorgeous setting, for which you've no doubt paid a gorgeous...er, pretty... penny. You'd like to make some moderate changes that would enable you to step out onto a second story deck, throw your head back, and take in the salt air and the infinite beauty.

Of course there's always the risk that the architectural committee will pass by on stand-up paddle-boards or on a cruise ship several hundred feet offshore with binoculars but, those possibilities aside, why wouldn't you make modifications that will increase your enjoyment of this beautiful home and its spectacular location? Houses are to live in, after all.

It's evident from your other posts and photos that the modifications you make are thoughtfully done and skillfully executed. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to make the change you're contemplating.

After the fact, I'll be happy to spend a week or two in the house deliberating whether the change was or was not ill-advised; at no charge, of course.

Congratulations on your new beach house. I can't wait to see more photos!

• amykath
    10 years ago

If it is something you will enjoy and use then I say go for it. I do not think it would be an eyesore at all!!

Beautiful home!!!

• Related Discussions

There's no turning back now! X Post from Kitchen Forum

Q

Comments (28)
    Ok, we're done for the day. We're all exhausted! My uncle left this morning to head home and the four of us finished up. Took about 6 hours to cut out and polish the sink cutout, but the guys persevered yesterday and even cut out and polished all the backsplash pieces. Today we finished all the plumbing for the sink, dishwasher and refrigerator, put in a new door, put up the crown, scribe, base and casing (not quite done, we have to figure out a different base for around the cabinets). We also finished installing the appliances, the undercabinet lights and cleaned up a bit. Still to do: finish the base, putty and caulk all the trim, paint trim and the door and install the jewelry (aka hardware). Little stuff, nothing huge. Now I have to get the house cleaned up and back in order! But for now, sitting down feels really good. Oh, and while we were at it, we replaced the (horrid) laminate countertop in the bathroom and put in a new sink and faucet. We'll have to do the rest of the bathroom at some point, but this is a good start!
    ...See More

we are moving !! x-posted to building & home deco

Q

Comments (19)
    Hey everyone, Just a quick update. We are all moved, doesn't mean a single thing is done. Oh my, the mess, the boxes, the dust, the things not finished. Serious unpacking tomorrow. My back is sore, my feet hurt, we can't find sheets for kids beds, our kitties are stressed, electric still isn't complete, no dishwasher, frig or stove, they come tomorrow. But....... my home, my home, is beautiful. My heart is here, if I had any doubt before it was eased today as we looked at the setting sun in our piece of sky. Our old home was in the trees and absolutely no outside living. People wonder why I wanted 68 windows and 8 pairs of french doors in this house. Today I can say, to bring God's creation to every room in the house. It is stunning. My life is here now, He has brought me home. I appreciate all your support , wonderful prayers and well wishes. I will post pics soon. I am taking bunches because I want to share this with everyone. Kimberly
    ...See More

kitchen cabinets question - X posted Building a Home forum

Q

Comments (1)
    Don't know how I managed to post here twice. Mea culpa!
    ...See More

Appliance Forum X-Post: Planning 24" Miele Oven Install

Q

Comments (4)
    Yes I do have this oven. I am relatively satisfied with it. Only negative for me is that it cooks somewhat unevenly which of course shows up as browning more to one side. Have to rotate the food if I want it to be browned evenly. But I am happy with the size (no problem with a large turkey), quick pre-heating, plenty of cook modes available, wide temperature range, and timing features. Re my original post: We used the Specs document opening height (not the Product Manual) dimension so that there is no gap at the top.
    ...See More
  • arcy_gw
    10 years ago

You are butting up against architectural purists. Maybe not the opinions you want to seek. From some of the pictures presented this plan you have can be done well. If you are looking for permission you will be apologizing 50% of the time it would seem.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, everyone, for your kind words (you know how it is, after a few hours buyer remorse, or as DH calls it "buyer rigor mortis" sets in, so it's reassuring to have the compliments!).

I hope everyone knows I am kind of teasing about being "smacked down" and poking fun at the "purists".

My conclusion is that I will talk to an architect. I think our best best is to copy the one below.

{{gwi:1492528}}

For me, the key to this one is the way the deck/balcony is subsumed into the porch roof, and repeating the same style elements as in the porch below. I don't have a good head on photo of the house, but there is already a small decorative window above the two i want to remove, similar to the photo above.

As always, thanks.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Before you decide, ask yourself how much time you'll be spending in the house, and how much time will you be spending in the bedroom during the day.

If it's a LOT, then go for it. If it isn't, I'd leave it be.

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

Do it. You will do it thoughtfully and well, and you will enjoy it. However, be prepared for the fact that in a hundred years the neighbors will still be saying, "And that balcony was added by newcomers to the area. You know how that goes . . . " (eye roll).

• deegw
    10 years ago

Congrats! It's really lovely.

I love the idea of an ocean view balcony in the master. However, I am concerned about how it will affect the light in the room below and also worry about drainage.

I have a friend with a balcony off her second floor master and a porch below. The room below the master is depressingly dark and they often have various wood rot issues around the balcony and the porch.. In your favor, you will probably have access to better contractors than she has in East Podunk, SC.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

Go for it.

I have complete faith you will do it right. This isn't a historic building, it's a vacation home and there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to maximize your enjoyment.
    It's not like you're adding a 2 story glass enclosed solarium to the front facade.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

I know that it doesn't have a historical designation, but is it within one the historical districts in York? I've linked to the guidelines you may be restricted to, although we all know you wouldn't plan anything that isn't carefully planned by an architect, who could quickly tell you what would be allowed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Design Guidelines for Historic Districts and Sites

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

Refer the naysayers here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Additions that got by the architectural review board

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL, kitchen! Sometimes when i see the whacky stuff professionals do, I am tempted to think the only difference between us and them is nerve!

My3Dogs, no historic restrictions apply. Interesting link, though.

Maire, that is so kind. BTW is your name Maire? I always wonder when I type it

Dee, It will have no effect on any other room, because it is going over the existing front porch, carve out of the roof if you will. I have seen this done before and always wondered about drainage, so I was eager to get comments on that.

Oakley, I think it will make all the difference to the master bedroom. I can see us reading the paper there in the morning...

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

Do it. This house is for your enjoyment and a huge part of that joy is going to come from the views. I have no doubt that whatever the design is, it will be thoughtful and beautiful.

• goldengirl327
    10 years ago

With the proper design, I think the example you posted would make a wonderful addition to your home. I'm imagining that your new home will come with many visits from extended family and friends and this private space will be perfect for all of the reasons you have given. The area (southern coast of Maine) is filled with gifted architects whose expertise lies in designing seamless, beautiful additions such as the one you have proposed.

• camlan
    10 years ago

Based on the example picture you posted, I think it would work.

I live not far from where I think you bought your house, and really, driving down the coast road, you see some really wacky porches and decks and things that have no name randomly stuck on the sides and tops of houses in order to give the residents more of a sea view. Precariously balanced rooftop decks, porches circling the second floor, odd bits of jutting out flooring in the middle of nowhere.

Your proposed balcony could easy "echo" the old widows walks on the tops of some of the older houses in the area, and could certainly, with the right architect, be made to blend in seamlessly with the existing house.

This was a nice looking house, until the UFO decided to land on the roof:

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL, Camlan! yes, i guess I am trying to avoid being a "fashion DON'T", like the one you posted. But people try to slap on decks and porches for a reason, and that's what we need to balance; form and function, too!

Btw I found a head on photo that shows a little eyebrow window above. Having now looked at umpteen DC's on line, I think this facade looks a little "under-fenstrated" (?) anyway...

{{!gwi}}

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I agree with lazy daisy (and loved her response) but I can also share my experience. When we renovated our beach house, we added a lovely little balcony off our master bedroom. I think it's probably a bit bigger than the one shown above. We keep the door open to our room when the weather permits, so it provides a nice breeze (though we have plenty of other windows in the room). It overlooks the beach. We have a love seat, chair, and coffee table out there. They're all-weather wicker with cushy seat cushions. All very comfy. And we NEVER go out there. Maybe twice a year. It's a good spot to watch the fireworks on July 4.

Maybe it depends on what else you have for porch/deck spaces. We have a great screen porch that we spend most of our time in. It's much closer to the coffee maker and the beer fridge....

You can see our balcony here in a weird pic DH took of the house.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Fess up...you want what you want, and I already know you're going to do it.

But I'll give a little push back here.

Re a.m. coffee on the balcony, DH has a theory of the path of least resistance...we as humans do whatever is most convenient. So we built this large lovely terrace off the lower level. If we sit there once a year it's a lot. Why? Because it's off the lower level...a pain to carry down the coffee or the drinks or the whatever, and a pain to bring it back upstairs. Instead the deck that's right off the kitchen/FR gets used all the time. It's right there, it's convenient, the path of least resistance.

So given the amount you may actually use it for that, and given the potential for damage...think nor'easters on the ocean, the damage from salt water, the snow loads and ice dams and the potential for flooding the MBR...I'd say no. I'd want my vaca home to be relaxing with minimal maintenance headaches.

Instead I'd consider adding more glass without the balcony/slider....maybe flank the existing window with two more windows of maybe the same size or smaller...or maybe make it into a larger triple window.

But we know, I'm form follows function, you're form over function....

Whatever you choose, I know it will be lovely.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I trust you to do a tasteful renovation, but agree with those who predict minimal use of the balcony. I would put this off for at least a year.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You know, you are right. We would probably not go downstairs to get our tea/coffee and then come back up.
    So it is more about getting more light and air and views into the room. I will talk to an architect and broach it that way, and see their recommendation.

• camlan
    10 years ago

Yeah, so, I just assumed mtnrdredux would have a plan to in corporate a small coffee maker and storage for the coffee and creamer somewhere in the master suite. Tiny alcove off the bathroom? Little vanity nook?

Either that, or a DH who would be bringing her the coffee.

Of course, a small fridge somewhere in the room would also allow for the sipping of gin and tonics on the balcony as the sun sets.

Just saying that if you really want to sit on that balcony and sip morning coffee, there are ways to make that happen.

• bpath
    10 years ago

As I recall, there's a maid's room off the kitchen. Wouldn't she be bringing up the coffee service and the paper in the morning, then flinging open the drapes and window? :)

• User
    10 years ago

What Live_wire_oak pointed out in the other forum is that the house in question already has the MBR cantilevered over the front entry ... there is almost no "roof" to work with.

It's a massive expense for very little gain in this instance.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bpathome,
    Don't be silly. With quarters for only one maid, she will have to be in the dining room setting out the silver coffee service and the morning china.

Lazyg, Yup, you are right. I think I will run it by a local architect and ask if he thinks the fenestration can be changed in a harmonious way. I almost think, from a a pure exterior aesthetic viewpoint, that the existing windows are too mean.

• User
    10 years ago

We have an 8' (deep) x 12' (long) balcony off of our bedroom, it faces west and overlooks Lake Ontario. We don't sit out there during the day, but our daughter does, there is an old wicker couch out there and she likes to be out there reading, texting and doing whatever else teenagers do on their e-devices. It's not used much on summer afternoons because even though it's shaded by a large maple, it gets direct, late afternoon sun, so it's hot, but on a cool or cloudy day, she likes it out there and we might too, in our dotage, when all house projects are done, cough, cough.

We like it because it provides light and air (no A/C in our house) into our room, and we hung a clothesline all around, so wet bathing suits and towels are hung up upstairs, which, in theory, means they don't stay on the floor. We often hang laundry out there to dry, as we don't have or use a dryer (we have indoor lines too).

Personally, I think you can make it work with the style of house and that you will like it, but I agree that going back upstairs for coffee probably isn't going to happen, but we never thought that the kid would use it, and she does a fair bit.

Good luck-

sandyponder

• liriodendron
    10 years ago

The thing with the Dutch Colonial style is that it naturally looks a little "mean" with the windows. It's due to the fact that so much of the wall plane is actually also the roof plane, which one doesn't normally see in a gable-roofed building. The enveloping, visible roof is what gives the style that uniquely sheltering look to the whole building.

Just adding tons more - or much larger - openings to suit the more modern taste can risk throwing the whole effect off.

It is what it is, so you either appreciate it, or buy something in another style that is more window-y.

Regarding the balcony, the most cogent argument aganst it to my mind is the practical one of losing some of the benefits of weather-shedding protection of that wall plane, while adding complex points of entry into the house body in the event of hurricane driven rainwater off the ocean. It is in coastal ME, after all..

The downstairs rooms will always seem darkened by the sitting porches. Again, that's the nature of the building, but of course one of the reasons you're buying the house is the wonderful porchification. And since this is likely mostly a warm-weather/long-day house, any deep in January gloom doesn't count.

My 19th c, Greek Revival house had an original, full facade porch along the south. Lovely thing to think about in the abstract, but it took me two decades to get bold enough to take it down last December. The effect was magical when the next morning my ground floor windows let the sun in for the first time in 165+ years.

Architectural purists need not worry, however, every bit was saved and we are moving the whole shebang around to the north face of the house where the shade won't matter (it's always shady on that side except in late June when the sun is highest on the NW in the late afternoon, and then the additonal shade will be a boon.) And, functionally the north side is now the official front entrance which was what the porch was originally celebrating anyway.

HTH

L.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

Wow, your new beach house is absolutely gorgeous! Even those trees are incredible. I am no architecture expert, so I can't really say if a balcony would "ruin" the architecture of the home. Certainly if you do make the change, I would think you'll want an architect that really knows a lot about this style to come up with a tasteful plan. Out of curiosity, are your views of the ocean good from the main floor deck? I'm wondering if a 2nd floor deck will provide significantly better views such that the 2nd floor deck will be much more desirable than the current deck? If not, then maybe having some really large windows (maybe even floor to ceiling if that's not counter to the architectural style) that can be opened to a sitting area in the master bedroom would be sufficient.

• Circus Peanut
    10 years ago

Being a Mainer, Mtn, what gets me with your idea, aside from all aesthetic considerations, is the issue of S.N.O.W. If I understand correctly, the house faces beachward on the Ogunquit coast? By adding a second-level side-enclosed deck, you may be simply creating a nice handy scoop in the roof to collect snowblow, with all the concomitant winter maintenance headaches. Clearly budget is a secondary concern for you, but nonetheless, it might be an unwelcome expense to have to salary a winter roof-deck-sweeper?

Do solicit good advice from a historically-sensitive architect/structural engineer -- and if there must be French doors, by all means make them mulled to match the windows, lest you create a gaping maw up there.

(Didn't this house used to be a B&B? It's gorgeous, congrats! I heart shingles on the coast.)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sandy, that sounds so wonderful, esp. the old wicker couch! Would that ours could ever be so spacious!

Liriodendron, oh my, you are brave moving your porch! But it makes perfect sense. Greek revival is actually my favorite house style! Have you ever posted photos? Id love a sneak peek.

Prickly, thank you. The trees, gardens and lawn down to the ocean were a big selling point to us. It's not typical.
    In re the view, the house sits on a rise, and the front verandah is elevated,too, so the views are quite nice from that level. I don't think the views from the proposed balcony would be better, but it would very much change the MBR. That said, for reasons discussed above, I may ask an architect for an opinion on windows before we go to the deck step.

Thanks, Circus. Does the Southern coast of Maine get a lot of snow? I would love that. Here in CT, the coast rarely gets snow. That said, your snow/water point was one of my two questions when I laid out this proposal. I am curious as to how it drains?
    No, it was not a BnB, but the current owners (heirs) do rent it out by the week. Even with an out of date kitchen and baths, its commands a nice weekly sum. I've never done a rental, but since we won't "summer" (the verb) in Maine, but will go back and forth to CT from time to time, and also want to travel, I am going to plan to rent it weekly in high season, maybe half the summer. We will see how that goes. And, thank you!

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I answered on the other forum to go for it...and I think you should after consulting architects who work with older homes. BUT, after reading the above posts, I think you should hold off for a bit ( one full season) to see how you live in the house first. Will you wake up everyday just dreaming of sunbathing there, having coffee/wine (and shlepping it up and down as well as dirty mugs/glasses) or will you ultimately think the front porch is just dandy enough because everything you want will be just inside on the same level. There will be plenty of time to add a deck/porch later, don't jump into it until you've spent some time there.

• User
    10 years ago

I don't have time to read all the replies and suggestions above, so forgive me if this is a repeat of something already said.

What is the room below the MBR? I would advocate taking down those bushes /small trees at the side of the house, and doing the same thing down below---- making some or all those windows into french doors that lead out onto a lovely larger deck/ raised patio (stone, perhaps?) that would project out farther than the proposed upstairs deck so it wouldn't look like an antebellum two story porch, iykwim. Set the upstairs porch back significantly. Do nice columns in whatever style will complement any other woodwork on the house to support the upstairs deck. So downstairs you would have a lovely terrace (great for a party!) that is half covered, and an open deck up top. Put the drains in the supporting columns --- our architect specified four inch stainless steel pipes in the columns of our front portico, works like a charm. Ours are joined together under the brick stairs and then proceed underground to the nearest dry creekbed for drainage. You probably wouldn't have to do that.

editing to add: There is a very long tradition of building outside and up high for ocean views in such houses----as the plethora of names for various types of outdoor access attests---widows' walks, crows nest, lookout, observatory, watchtower, cupola, etc. I don't think it is possible to destroy the architectural integrity of a coastal home with outdoor access, unless it is poorly conceived or executed (neither likely in your case) . Adding another access to that view is, by definition of the act, part of the vernacular. So there!

This post was edited by kswl on Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 16:25

• rosie
    10 years ago

It's a lovely, lovely property, Mtnrdredux. I'm sure it can, and will, be done very nicely, with or without balcony as you choose.

• eclecticcottage
    10 years ago

Well, I'm going to approach this from the pov of someone that is living in a former summer cottage. Now, cottages here were on a different scale than yours, both in size and cost so this might be a bit different, however I doubt it. Our home (cottage) was built as a summer place by a factory worker and his wife-blue collar. As were the neighboring cottages.

While I am VERY much about preserving my own and any I can assist with as they are an important piece of history, one fact remains: cottages were second homes and typically weren't kept to the standard of the main home. I am not really referring to the actual upkeep (although that was also a fact), but the building and styling as well. Cottages here were filled with and built with cast offs from the main home or other local remodels. "Cottage style" is indicative of this-eras mixed in furnishings and materials, as they used what was available. Most of my windows are mismatched for instance, although a neighbor's are mostly matched.

What I'm getting to, is that while it's important, imo, to keep to the originality and history of your home, part of what makes it a cottage is that it was a lived in retreat where some standards might be a little more relaxed. I say do it, in the manner you suggest which will flow with the original design and not detract from it, but since it IS a cottage, it should have a tolerance for change and less strict adherance to what is architecturally acceptable as it where.

*waves to sandyponder-we also live on Lake Ontario, on the South Shore.

This post was edited by eclecticcottage on Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 16:14

• rafor
    10 years ago

Love the house !!!!! Much better than the previous one you considered. But that being said, once it's yours, do what works for you :) I say that because I have great faith in what you will do based on what you have done! And if after you are done, you don't like it, you can always give it to me ;)

• eandhl
    10 years ago

I might not go to the kitchen to bring coffee up to the future MB deck but I sure would bring a glass of wine up in the evening! The home is beautiful and without doubt anything you do will be too.

• artydecor
    10 years ago

One characteristic of all New Englanders (and their homes) is adaptability. We're tough. A true New England home, any style, has been modified and added on to, and the classics come in many variations. Even beyond "do what makes you happy", as long as you're not knocking out the walls to make it open concept or putting in a front picture window (in other words, trying to turn it into '70s split level), your house will be fine.
    PS- I know people who "renovated" their New Hampshire Victorian in just the '70s inspired way I described. That was horrid.

• krycek1984
    10 years ago

I would avoid adding a balcony. I would do nothing to mess with this house...it is beautiful as is. Wy mess with near perfection?

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

How about a coffee/tea station with dishwasher and refrigerator drawers upstairs, in some little niche? No lugging and more lounging in the morning.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

mtnrd, Here in CT, the coast rarely gets snow...

Not sure what part of CT you live in....

...but perhaps your taxes are high enough to keep the snow off the ground.
    ;)

We've certainly had more than our share....

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    10 years ago

I live in the midcoast area. Here's a photo of our deck taken last winter.

Snowfall is significant, but even more significant will be where the wind-driven snow accumulates. The storm that left this snow was not a big one -- we only got a foot or so. In past years, the snow on that deck from similar storms was over our heads and completely covered the door.

I would talk with neighbors or previous owners/caretakers to see where wind driven snow, especially from nor'easters, accumulates.

That said, if it were my house and feasible, I would in a New York minute.

• User
    10 years ago

A small deck up there would be nice. And if building another maids quarters seems daunting then this might just be your answer.

{{!gwi}}

PS don't forget the after pics

• caminnc
    10 years ago

I don't know if you can draw ideas from this house or not but I think it is a good example. I have a second story deck off my bedroom but we never use it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Houzz

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

What a beautiful house! I think that many changes can be tastefully made to a house, and I am sure whatever you decide to do will be gorgeous! I have never lived with a deck off my bedroom, but we have considered adding one to our summer home. However, the best view of the water in our summer house is a pretty screened-porch at the other end of the house from the kitchen and we almost never use it..... I think that being near the kitchen, family, guests always keeps us in a certain part of the house and back yard. Just thought I would reiterate that point of view, which others have already made. In any event, I hope the inspection goes well and that we can follow along as you renovate!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Marinagal! I think our decisions at this point is to consult an architect, not with this specific idea per se, but for his suggestions on adding light/air/views to the MBR.

Thanks, Cam. That is pretty!

CL Blakeley, I won't!

Mabel, good idea. Snowfalls can be highly localized.

LOL, Annie. We are about 10 miles inland, and it just seems to us the weatherguys always say. "it will turn to rain on the coast, with higher accumulations North and West of the area". We often get snow here, just 10 miles from friends in Westport who say "what snow". I guess since the ocean never freezes it can reduce snowfall? IDK

Thank you, Krycek.

Oldbat, I actually drink tea in the am, usually iced in the summer! And DH makes a ritual of going out for coffee and the paper, come to think of it.

Sonic, excellent point!

Aww, Eandhl, thank you.

LOL, Rafor! To be fair, the other one was a tear down! But all in all we are happier with this choice.

Eclectic cottage, your community sound so wonderful. And I agree about the vibe. We don't want a proper and formal house, in fact this house is more formal then what we planned to build or envisioned in our heads. At the end of the day, it is about relaxing and enjoying where you are, and in an odd way I think quirks and imperfections make a place homier ...

Thank you, Rosie!

JoaniePoanie, I am just terrible and wait and see, I confess. It is even worse here because I have been waiting almost a year trying to clear up that other property!

KSWL,
    Thanks for the tip on water drainage! As for your idea of expanding the porch, goodness, what are you trying to do to my budget!? I better not tell DH your idea, he is a sucker for verandah space.
    As a side note, your point about the tradition of elevated areas from which to view the water was such lovely writing. : )

• Janice742
    10 years ago

Here is an example that looks quite nice:

• kitchentime
    10 years ago

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/gambrel-roofs-set-dutch-colonial-revivals-apart-stsetivw-vs~5456660-Roofs-Set-Dutch-Colonial-Revivals-Apart

Found a good pinterest link and a house if you didn't stumble across these already. So fun! See link above for house.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest link

• kitchentime
    10 years ago

Sorry here's the right link 1st picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: [House[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/gambrel-roofs-set-dutch-colonial-revivals-apart-stsetivw-vs~5456660)

• User
    10 years ago

Hey Sueb20 - Do you have vinyl shake siding on your beach house? It is the perfect shade that I have been looking for to re-side my beach house. If it is vinyl, do you remember the manufacturer and color? Thanks so much. Mtn, your home is absolutely beautiful. I think a balcony would look lovely. Sorry about the hijack!

• User
    10 years ago

Mtnbeach, of course I am trying to wreck your budget, lol! But if you do an upper balcony or deck that gives you shaded space underneath whether or not you need or want it, so doing something with that space deserves a passing thought :-)

I really like the curved deck/balcony in the last photo posted above. That could be cantilevered. A Deck drain close to the house could feed into two downspouts of lovely decorative copper.

• goldengirl327
    10 years ago

I found this picture on the Coastal Living site. Since part of the question is whether or not it's worth the trouble because the balcony might not be deep enough, I thought an interior perspective ( with what looks like a shallow porch) might help you decide : )

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Goldengirl, a picture IS worth a thousand words.