SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lyndalu_gw

My first Stained Glass - WIP

lyndalu
16 years ago

HereÂs a WIP picture of my very first stained glass piece. Just finished foiling. Next class will be soldering!

Learning to work with stained glass has been quite the adventure. I have been printing out "tips" from you guys for awhile  and had a whole folder full of things that IÂve been studying. And of course, bunches of books from the library.

Lots of "firsts" for me:

1. Learned how to use glass scorer, running pliers and breaking pliers and finally know the purpose of each! You know, IÂm so surprised that there were NO directions with any of those 3 tools. Thank goodness for my class, and of course you guys, too!

2. Bought and used a grinder for the first time. Wow  never realized how much time you could spend grinding. But  cool tool  love it.

3. Finally used my ring saw. (NT Â yeah, finally!) WowÂam just going to love this.

4. Cut glass and tumbled it manually. Just used a jar with water and dishwashing liquid (of course learned that from you guys)  wow  I was so surprised that in about 25 minutes  the edges were sooo smooth!! These pieces are for mosaic mushroom.

5. Just bought the recommended tumbler at Harbor Freight  havenÂt used it yet. And, OMG  I now know what everyone was talking about with the smell. Thank goodness my work area is in the garage. Please tell me that the smell does eventually go away?

For this piece, I had planned to do all the cutting by hand (not use the ring saw), so that I would get practice at cutting. BUTÂthose tiny little stems on the peppers gave me fits  and after breaking piece after piece on my last cut, I finally turned to the ring saw  and cut all the stems on the ring saw. MUCH easier!

Comments (21)

Sponsored