SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crackedincolorado

WIP with polymer clay tiles; first time!

crackedincolorado
16 years ago

Hi All! My first experience with polymer clay on Monday has been a good learning experience. First of all, the clay is really hard to soften, but I learned it helps to place it on a heating pad before you start. You have to wash your hands and wipe off all utensils after each color; my hands are still recovering. I read you should wrap the leftovers in waxed paper not saran wrap as it would change the chemical composition of the clay. And to buy only soft packages; the harder ones have been on the shelf too long and will not be craft friendly; the things we learn after the fact!

The best parts were stamping designs into the clay and rubbing on the powdered pigments. I just think that turns the clay into a whole new animal. I'm sorry I didn't take a picture with the pigments on them. I put them in the oven and kept watching to make sure they weren't baking too fast. They didn't seem to be doing much, so I left the room for 5 minutes, and when I went back, they were burning! I was a little upset thinking of all that kneading I'd have to do again. Turns out only 5 pieces burned really bad, the rest looked kind of antique-y, so I decided to go ahead and use them anyway and now I'm glad I did, because I think they look really cool!

Later I'm reading the Sculpey website and notice the baking temperature: 275. I baked them at 375! I don't know why because I read the package where it clearly says 275 degrees! Doh! I No wonder the fumes were awful. When I baked the next 5 pieces I baked them outside and purposely overbaked them. Even at the right temperature the fumes were bad so I will be baking the clay outside from now on and marking the 275 spot on the toasteroven! Enough blabbering, here are the pictures: unbaked & unpigmented, the pigments, baked clay.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

There's an octagonal mirror in the middle, pcs aren't glued down yet..think I'm going to add orange/brown glass and gold seed beads..we'll see...

Comments (38)

Sponsored